Get the Silicon Beach Fest schedule grid here.
VR has been huge this year, with VFX artists, storytellers, filmmakers, game makers, writers, developers and more doing VR. This panel will give an overview of VR, how VR can be used for new storytelling, social VR, access to VR via Oculus, Samsung Gear VR, cardboard, and what are resources for VR in LA and nationally.
Moderator: Savannah Peterson, Speck Design, Director of Innovation Strategy
- A.J. Campbell, RocketSail, Founder
- Morris May, Specular Theory, CEO and Founder
- Jarrell Pair, DIRECTV, Digital Ideation, Senior Manager
- Alex Rosenfeld, Vrideo, Founder and CEO @arosenfee
- Jonathan Hawkins, White Elk Studios, Founder and President @jonathanhawkins
- Ben Miller, WEVR, Director of Content Development @NourseMiller
- A.J. Campbell, RocketSail, Founder. AJ was inspired to create 3D audio for 360-degree VR experiences. @texasgreentea
- Morris May, Specular Theory, CEO and Founder. Specular Theory is a VR content creation studio and technology lab based in Venice Beach, CA. His VR film, “Perspective; Chapter 1: The Party” recently premiered at Sundance and was one of the most talked about virtual reality experiences of the festival. Morris has been a Hollywood visual effects expert for more than 25 years, working on 30+ films including two Academy Award winners: Spiderman II and Happy Feet. @speculartheory
Visual Effects startups and VFX companies are working on top Hollywood movies and films, including Oscar-winner Interstellar and other films. Join this panel where VFX experts will discuss working on top movies.
- Shannon Gans, New Deal Studios, CEO, Co-Founder. Shannon co-founded New Deal Studios, which did the VFX work on Interstellar, which recently won an Oscar in this year’s Academy Awards. She has worked on visual effects for over 150 of the biggest films, commercials, web content, virtual reality for theme parks, cinematic virtual reality shorts and live sporting events. @shannongans
- Steve Goldberg, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Visual Effects Supervisor. Steve did visual effects supervision on the animated blockbuster Frozen. He also worked on Tangled, Lion King, and Pocahontas.
3D printing startups are becoming LA’s next major startup boom. It’s only logical that LA is a mecca for 3D printing as it’s home to the aerospace, automotive, video games, visual effects, industrial design, and defense Industries. Join this panel featuring industry leaders about where 3D is going and how Southern California has played a role in their success.
Moderator: Leslie Oliver Karpas, Metamason, CEO
- Mark Mathews, Airwolf 3D, President
- Jens Windau, AIO Robotics, CEO
- Brian Arandez, Thingify, CEO
- Jonathan Schwartz, HexLab Makerspace, COO
- Sean Stevens, New Matter, Director of Product
- Igor Knevic, Feature Film Concept & Special Effects Designer, Founder – Alienology, Designer – Metamason
Mark Mathews, President – Airwolf 3D
Mr. Mathews is President of Airwolf 3D, a designer, manufacturer, and distributor of desktop 3D printers, supplies and technology to the 3D printing and additive manufacturing markets. Previously, Mr. Mathews served at Toshiba as the President and CEO of Toshiba America Business Solutions, Inc. Additionally he served as President, COO, as well as a number of other senior positions.
Jens Windau, CEO – AIO Robotics
Jens Windau is one of the co-founders of the next generation 3D printer company AIO Robotics. He and his co-founders built the world’s first All-in-One 3D Printer/Scanner ZEUS. Jens holds graduate degrees in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science and Technology Management and has worked as an engineer at BMW and as a management consultant for many tech startups. A USC Viterbi alum, AIO Robotics won the Silicon Beach Fest – Startup Showcase in 2014.
Brian Arandez, CEO – Thingify
Thingify is a 3D printing service bureau which also offers design, modeling and concepting services. Brian founded Thingify in 2012 in Irvine. His background is in CS and IT, having worked for Mizuho Securities and NTT Data Corporation.
Jonathan Schwartz, COO – HexLab Makerspace
Jonathan Schwartz is a native born son of Southern California and COO of HexLab Makerspace. He graduated with a business degree from The A.J.U. in 2013.
Sean Stevens, Director of Product – New Matter
New Matter’s mission is to bring 3D printing to every home, school, and office with its flagship products, the MOD-t and New Matter Store. Sean is leading the development of the Store, which will integrate tightly with the printer to provide a seamless 3D printing experience. He previously worked as an engineer for various LA startups, and was co-founder and CTO of Periodical, which was part of LaunchpadLA’s Class 5.
Igor Knevic, Feature Film Concept & Special Effects Designer, Founder – Alienology, Designer – Metamason
Igor is a prolific 3D designer in the film and special effects industry, having created props and environments for Tomorrowland, Jupiter Ascending, Oblivion, X-Men First Class, and many others. He also is the principle designer of the 3D printed jewelry firm Alienology, as well as one of the design leads at Metamason, a scan-to-fit medical device startup here in LA.
Moderated by Leslie Oliver Karpas, CEO – Metamason
Metamason is a medical device startup developing on-demand custom CPAP masks via 3D scanning and a patent pending method for 3D printing silicone. Les’ background includes over 10 years of experience in holography, industrial design, architecture, and robotics. Most notably he spent years designing custom CNC robots and tooling to create art work for famous artists such as Anish Kapoor and Jeff Koons.
We’ve all been awed with the highly believable digital humans appearing in movies, games and online. As capture technologies, software and rendering advances continue, the ability to create digital doubles will become commonplace. As we live more online and in virtual reality, no doubt, we will want our digital doubles ready for Social VR. We’ll share a rapid fire survey of virtual human technologies and take a look at near future development for interactive virtual humans.
Moderator: Diane Piepol, Project Director & US Representative The Digital Doubles Agency
- Kay Arutyunyan, CounterPunch Studios, VP of Production
- Jacquelyn Ford Morie PhD, All These Worlds, Founder & Chief Scientist
- Graham Fyffe, USC Institute for Creative Technologies (ICT), Computer Scientist
- Dan Platt, Facial & Character Modeling Supervisor (Virtual Tupac)
The Silicon Beach Sports League is organizing our annual beach games this year, including volleyball, basketball and surfing, plus new sports like dodgeball, yoga, and more. Sign up and times for beach games will be available soon.
Hatch Studios and Golden Road Brewing invite SBF attendees to its Beer Pong Tournament. Catch some rays, drink some beer, eat some food, and mingle with the Silicon Beach community. Admission includes open bar (beer, bloody marys, party punch), tournament entry, and more. Sponsored by Service Standard, ZICO, Bloody Maria: All Natural Bar Mixes, and Guayaki Yerba Mate. Prizes from Reserve, Instacart, Zeel, RenewU and Hatch Studios. Food will be available for purchase from Home Run Sliders Food Truck. Sign up for the tournament upon arrival. Hatch Studios is a new coworking space in West LA. 21+ only. Bring your SBF Badge to attend. If you don’t have your badge cuz you left it at home or lost it dancing at the closing party, pay $15 cash only at the door.
Join us for 5 vs 5 dodgeball organized by the Silicon Beach Sports League. Show up on the court to pick your team. FREE RSVP to all SBF pass holders, party-only tickets, and table sponsors at http://bit.ly/SBFDodgeball
To celebrate Silicon Beach Fest, our team at Silicon Beach Sports League will be organizing free dodgeball on the sand near Venice Ale House on Saturday June 27th, 2015 from 12pm to 4pm!
Each game will be 5 vs 5! The winning team of “best of three games” stays on the court! You will pick your team on the sand so show up with your fellow entrepreneurs and get ready to dodge, dip, duck, dive, and dodge!
We will have Code of Conduct & Waivers available at the beach for y’all to sign! Bring your startup swag and let’s play some dodgeball!
For more information, please email Justin Brezhnev at firstname.lastname@example.org
We’re rallying volleyball players to play in our Silicon Beach Fest – Silicon Beach Spikers team at the Vilebrequin Beach Games on Saturday at Santa Monica Beach. We are looking for male and female intermediate and advanced players to play a 6-person pickup game, playing against other neighborhood teams.
FREE RSVP so we know you are coming: http://sbf15volley.eventbrite.com
The winning team gets a pair of free Vilebrequin shorts ($250 value).
When we played in 2012, our team won, and our winning team pic got published in the LA Business Journal!
Agenda: Play at Santa Monica Beach 4-6p, then drive up to the Fairmont Miramar for complimentary poolside drinks and appetizers 6-8p. Try to arrive a bit earlier around 3:30p so we can actually practice first!
BYO sunscreen, shorts, shades. We’ll provide some complimentary blue Silicon Beach Fest shades and red Digital LA shades.
PARK in the nearby public lots, cash or credit card. Or use the Luxe Valet app code DIGITALLA to have a blue-jacketed valet meet you when you arrive at the beach to pick up your car, and request drop off later at the Fairmont.
Join us for this panel with digital home and commercial real estate experts at a beachfront condo in North Malibu. Relax with cocktails, enjoy the balcony which overlooks the ocean, and chat at the panel. Thanks to Ethan Samuels for hosting this event.
Address is a private home at 11770 Pacific Coast Highway. Bring your SBF VIP badge for admission.
- Audie Chamberlain, Lion and Orb, Founder and CEO of full services real estate PR agency
- Ethan Samuels, Northwestern Mutual, Financial Advisor
- Sarah Kosasky, Partners Trust Real Estate Brokerage and Acquisitions – Malibu, Founding Partner, Manager
- Adrian Zaw, Zaw Studios, Executive Producer and CEO. Drone Specialist; uses drones for arial real estate photography