Get the Silicon Beach Fest schedule grid here.
Did you know that two of LA’s five $1 billion+ startups are founded by women? As the LA entrepreneur ecosystem continues to strengthen, there is a growing pipeline of women-led companies who could join tomorrow’s billion dollar club. Hear from a panel of women founders breaking new ground in e-commerce, social media music festival production, socially responsible marketplaces and designer dress rental – and the women who are making seed and early stage investments in women-led companies.
Moderator: Julie MacMedan, Women Founders Network, Co-Founder and COO
- Ann Wang, Enrou, Co-Founder and CEO
- Kelsey Doorey, Vow to be Chic, Co-Founder and CEO
- Jamie Kantrowitz, MESA Ventures, Managing Partner
- Katie Warner Johnson, Carbon38, Co-Founder and CEO
Silicon Beach CTOs from top companies will discuss how they find developers, build their team, work with other teams in their organization, and scale for growth from startup to next stages.
Moderator: Casey Frith-Smith, FOX Network Engineering & Operations, VP Video Solutions
- Lukas Sliwka, Grindr, CTO
- Sunil Bhanot, Demand Media, VP of Software Engineering
- Ethan Kravitz, Curbstand, CTO @CurbStand
- John Coogan, Soylent, CTO / Co-Founder
Developer Track presented by:
Women developers from startups and tech companies will discuss issues including finding the right tech job, working at a startup or large tech company, scalability. We will also discuss issues for women developers such as career advancement, working in a male-dominated industry, and what women, men, and companies can do to help women get into tech, stay in tech and succeed in tech. What are local or national resources or organizations for women developers.
Moderator: Tara Tiger Brown, Co-Founder of KitHub, Connected Camps and LA Makerspace
- Hala Aladwan, Technology Consultant @haladwan
- Justine Bateman, Computer Science and Management Major, UCLA; Intern Blur Studio
- Kate Hollenbach, Oblong Industries, Inc, Director Of Design & Computation @kjhollen
- Rachel Blum, Google, Chrome Site Lead, Los Angeles
- Roni Brunn, Video Ace, CEO @thebandfrom
- Cara Kuei, National Football Leauge, Web Developer
Developer Track presented by:
Women founders, including those who have raised angel or VC capital discuss what it takes to succeed from funding, team building to strategy.
- Justine Lassoff, Co-founder/CEO Tuesdaynights & Co-founder, Love Goodly @JustineLassoff @ShopLoveGoodly
- Melinda Moore, CMO, Crowdfunder, Co-founder Tuesdaynights @Melinda_Moore
- Rebecca Wilson, Saatchi Art, Chief Curator and Director
- Nanxi Liu, Enplug, CEO
- Ariel Kaye, Parachute, Founder and CEO
- Lina Chen, Nix Hydra, Co-founder and CEO
- Shivani Siroya, Inventure, Founder
Growth hacking experts will share tips and techniques in Growth Hacking, where developers create quick code and scripts to capture marketing data from social media and other open sites, to help them target potential customers, generate sales leads, increase product awareness, and build customer and client databases. These techniques are useful for startups, sales, growth and more. Growth hacking is a unique combination of skill sets of developers and marketers; we’ll discuss how they can work together for successful growth hacking results.
Moderator: Javon Frazier, Maestro Media Ventures, Principal. Formerly Marvel Entertainment, VP Games Marketing @JavonFrazier
- Justin Wu, Vytmn, Co-Founder / Growth Engineer
- Peter Chen, Vytmn, CTO
- Marieme Haynes, JKH Naturals, Managing Director, previously at Microsoft
Experts in product development for software to Internet of Things will discuss strategies and tools for product development including systems for decreased product cycle time, user input and feedback for improvements and updates, lean development, new product features, rollout strategies, software tools to help with product management, and more.
Moderator: Cauri Jaye, rhubarb studios, CEO
- Mark Thomas, Google, Product Manager
- Chris Chandler, Fandango, Senior Director Product and UX
- Mary Baldwin, Pivotal Labs, Product Management
- Brian Kuhn, Media Temple, VP of Product
- Ben Handzo, NationBuilder, Head of Product
Developer Track presented by:
Join us for this discussion on girls in tech, from Girls Who Code, who are visiting LA this summer, so we thought we’d invite them to Silicon Beach Fest as a great way to see what is happening in tech. This workshop provides a forum for open discussion with girls in tech, teens age 12-14. Adults are always talking about how to increase girls in tech, so here’s the opportunity to ask girls questions about technology, phone and app social media use, etc. The audience is invited to ask questions like: “What inspired you to learn to code”, “Who are your role models,” ”What do you wish there were more of in the world to help increase girls in tech”, “Do you feel there is bias to girls in tech, and what can be done about it” “What apps do you use?” “Do you really use Snapchat all the time and not Facebook, etc”
Moderator: Lori Schwartz, Managing Partner, StoryTech
Developers sound off on what they wish Business Dev, Product Managers, CTOs, CEOs, and their clients knew or understood, to help increase business efficiency.
Moderator: Espree Devora, WeAreLATech, Founder
- Kevin Goslar, Originate, Director of Engineering
- Gregorio Rojas, Sabio,LA, Co-Founder
- Brady Tsurutani, DIRECTV, Senior Director of Mobile Software Engineering
- Christian Harden, NFL Digital Media, Application Development Manager
- Matthew Montanez, LIVESTRONG.COM, iOS Engineer @MattMontanez
- Suzzee Uy, Bridg, Senior Software Engineer
Developer Track presented by:
The Silicon Beach Sports League is organizing our annual beach games this year, including volleyball, basketball and surfing, plus new sports like dodgeball, yoga, and more. Sign up and times for beach games will be available soon.
Hatch Studios and Golden Road Brewing invite SBF attendees to its Beer Pong Tournament. Catch some rays, drink some beer, eat some food, and mingle with the Silicon Beach community. Admission includes open bar (beer, bloody marys, party punch), tournament entry, and more. Sponsored by Service Standard, ZICO, Bloody Maria: All Natural Bar Mixes, and Guayaki Yerba Mate. Prizes from Reserve, Instacart, Zeel, RenewU and Hatch Studios. Food will be available for purchase from Home Run Sliders Food Truck. Sign up for the tournament upon arrival. Hatch Studios is a new coworking space in West LA. 21+ only. Bring your SBF Badge to attend. If you don’t have your badge cuz you left it at home or lost it dancing at the closing party, pay $15 cash only at the door.
Join us for 5 vs 5 dodgeball organized by the Silicon Beach Sports League. Show up on the court to pick your team. FREE RSVP to all SBF pass holders, party-only tickets, and table sponsors at http://bit.ly/SBFDodgeball
To celebrate Silicon Beach Fest, our team at Silicon Beach Sports League will be organizing free dodgeball on the sand near Venice Ale House on Saturday June 27th, 2015 from 12pm to 4pm!
Each game will be 5 vs 5! The winning team of “best of three games” stays on the court! You will pick your team on the sand so show up with your fellow entrepreneurs and get ready to dodge, dip, duck, dive, and dodge!
We will have Code of Conduct & Waivers available at the beach for y’all to sign! Bring your startup swag and let’s play some dodgeball!
For more information, please email Justin Brezhnev at firstname.lastname@example.org
We’re rallying volleyball players to play in our Silicon Beach Fest – Silicon Beach Spikers team at the Vilebrequin Beach Games on Saturday at Santa Monica Beach. We are looking for male and female intermediate and advanced players to play a 6-person pickup game, playing against other neighborhood teams.
FREE RSVP so we know you are coming: http://sbf15volley.eventbrite.com
The winning team gets a pair of free Vilebrequin shorts ($250 value).
When we played in 2012, our team won, and our winning team pic got published in the LA Business Journal!
Agenda: Play at Santa Monica Beach 4-6p, then drive up to the Fairmont Miramar for complimentary poolside drinks and appetizers 6-8p. Try to arrive a bit earlier around 3:30p so we can actually practice first!
BYO sunscreen, shorts, shades. We’ll provide some complimentary blue Silicon Beach Fest shades and red Digital LA shades.
PARK in the nearby public lots, cash or credit card. Or use the Luxe Valet app code DIGITALLA to have a blue-jacketed valet meet you when you arrive at the beach to pick up your car, and request drop off later at the Fairmont.
Join us for this panel with digital home and commercial real estate experts at a beachfront condo in North Malibu. Relax with cocktails, enjoy the balcony which overlooks the ocean, and chat at the panel. Thanks to Ethan Samuels for hosting this event.
Address is a private home at 11770 Pacific Coast Highway. Bring your SBF VIP badge for admission.
- Audie Chamberlain, Lion and Orb, Founder and CEO of full services real estate PR agency
- Ethan Samuels, Northwestern Mutual, Financial Advisor
- Sarah Kosasky, Partners Trust Real Estate Brokerage and Acquisitions – Malibu, Founding Partner, Manager
- Adrian Zaw, Zaw Studios, Executive Producer and CEO. Drone Specialist; uses drones for arial real estate photography