Get the Silicon Beach Fest schedule grid here.
Apps. Every business wants one, be it a game, mobile or web-based. But with more and more apps available, what role should these apps play? Should an app be for profile, for profit or should it perform an additional function and perform a use for society? A panel of award-winning UK-based mobile, web-based and games app developers debate the changing international role of app developers.
Moderator: Matthew Desmier, Founder of Silicon Beach UK, Wise Old Uncle Ltd
- Mike Hawkyard, Amuzo Games, MD and Founder
- Duncan Cook, 3 Sided Cube, MD and Founder @duncancook
- Kriss Bennett, Createful, MD and Founder
- Marc Biles, Ratio, CEO @marcthebeat
- Jon Ginn, Base, Developer Evangelist @jonginn
Did you know that two of LA’s five $1 billion+ startups are founded by women? As the LA entrepreneur ecosystem continues to strengthen, there is a growing pipeline of women-led companies who could join tomorrow’s billion dollar club. Hear from a panel of women founders breaking new ground in e-commerce, social media music festival production, socially responsible marketplaces and designer dress rental – and the women who are making seed and early stage investments in women-led companies.
Moderator: Julie MacMedan, Women Founders Network, Co-Founder and COO
- Ann Wang, Enrou, Co-Founder and CEO
- Kelsey Doorey, Vow to be Chic, Co-Founder and CEO
- Jamie Kantrowitz, MESA Ventures, Managing Partner
- Katie Warner Johnson, Carbon38, Co-Founder and CEO
Speakers will discuss the rising tech startup scene in various international cities and countries, discussing startups, tech, and startups with international operations. Workshop also includes a Reverse Pitch, where startups who are considering international expansion will state what they do, and country representatives will provide advice on what cities they should expand to and why.
Moderator: Jeff Musson, Dynamite Network, CEO
- Deirdre Moran, US West Coast, IDA Ireland, VP High Growth Companies
- Pravin Uttarwar, Mindbowser, CTO (India)
- Gray Bright, The Tomorrow Show, Host (Australia)
- Britta Eriksson, Euro VAT Refund, CEO
VR has been huge this year, with VFX artists, storytellers, filmmakers, game makers, writers, developers and more doing VR. This panel will give an overview of VR, how VR can be used for new storytelling, social VR, access to VR via Oculus, Samsung Gear VR, cardboard, and what are resources for VR in LA and nationally.
Moderator: Savannah Peterson, Speck Design, Director of Innovation Strategy
- A.J. Campbell, RocketSail, Founder
- Morris May, Specular Theory, CEO and Founder
- Jarrell Pair, DIRECTV, Digital Ideation, Senior Manager
- Alex Rosenfeld, Vrideo, Founder and CEO @arosenfee
- Jonathan Hawkins, White Elk Studios, Founder and President @jonathanhawkins
- Ben Miller, WEVR, Director of Content Development @NourseMiller
- A.J. Campbell, RocketSail, Founder. AJ was inspired to create 3D audio for 360-degree VR experiences. @texasgreentea
- Morris May, Specular Theory, CEO and Founder. Specular Theory is a VR content creation studio and technology lab based in Venice Beach, CA. His VR film, “Perspective; Chapter 1: The Party” recently premiered at Sundance and was one of the most talked about virtual reality experiences of the festival. Morris has been a Hollywood visual effects expert for more than 25 years, working on 30+ films including two Academy Award winners: Spiderman II and Happy Feet. @speculartheory
Companies from Silicon Beach UK will give insights into using digital tools to build brands.
Moderator: Matthew Desmier, Founder of Silicon Beach, Wise Old Uncle Ltd
- Jamie Sergeant, Director, Crowd @JamieSergeant
- Arabella Lewis-Smith, MD and Founder, Salad @BellaLewisSmith
- Paul Sheehy, Founder, Folk @KiwiSheehy
- Daniel Ward-Murphy, Head of Insight, The Emerge Group
- Lee Noon, Head of eCommerce, LV=
Visual Effects startups and VFX companies are working on top Hollywood movies and films, including Oscar-winner Interstellar and other films. Join this panel where VFX experts will discuss working on top movies.
- Shannon Gans, New Deal Studios, CEO, Co-Founder. Shannon co-founded New Deal Studios, which did the VFX work on Interstellar, which recently won an Oscar in this year’s Academy Awards. She has worked on visual effects for over 150 of the biggest films, commercials, web content, virtual reality for theme parks, cinematic virtual reality shorts and live sporting events. @shannongans
- Steve Goldberg, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Visual Effects Supervisor. Steve did visual effects supervision on the animated blockbuster Frozen. He also worked on Tangled, Lion King, and Pocahontas.
Women developers from startups and tech companies will discuss issues including finding the right tech job, working at a startup or large tech company, scalability. We will also discuss issues for women developers such as career advancement, working in a male-dominated industry, and what women, men, and companies can do to help women get into tech, stay in tech and succeed in tech. What are local or national resources or organizations for women developers.
Moderator: Tara Tiger Brown, Co-Founder of KitHub, Connected Camps and LA Makerspace
- Hala Aladwan, Technology Consultant @haladwan
- Justine Bateman, Computer Science and Management Major, UCLA; Intern Blur Studio
- Kate Hollenbach, Oblong Industries, Inc, Director Of Design & Computation @kjhollen
- Rachel Blum, Google, Chrome Site Lead, Los Angeles
- Roni Brunn, Video Ace, CEO @thebandfrom
- Cara Kuei, National Football Leauge, Web Developer
Developer Track presented by:
Learn from industry experts on how to market and produce your digital content or projects internationally in this hands-on discussion and workshop.
- Bettina Sherick, Hollywood in Pixels, Founder. Formerly 20th Century Digital Marketing, SVP Digital Strategic Marketing. Bettina pioneered Digital Marketing for 20th Century Fox International (TCFI). During her 14 years with Fox, she ensured that TCFI consistently stayed at the forefront of movie studios for innovative digital marketing programs and marketing partnerships. She oversaw over 100+ international digital marketing campaigns across multiple platforms, including blockbuster new release films including THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, LIFE OF PI, the entire X-MEN franchise, both RISE and DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES, AVATAR, all films in the ICE AGE franchise, and THE SIMPSONS MOVIE, the latter of which won the Webby Award and People’s Voice Webby Award. @bettina
- John Heisen, Bunnygraph Entertainment, Founder. John and his company Bunnygraph Entertainment, work with writers, talent, and technologists to create serialized formats for television, interactive/web and mobile platforms in what he calls “Storytelling through Advanced Content”. After completing a three year run as Transmedia Producer / Showrunner for the Academy Awards (Oscar.com), John now focuses on the development of a range of TV and film projects in both the US and around the world. His short film LONE HUNTER recently premiered at the Los Angeles Asia Pacific Film Festival and was selected for the Court Metrage at the Cannes Film Festival.
Women founders, including those who have raised angel or VC capital discuss what it takes to succeed from funding, team building to strategy.
- Justine Lassoff, Co-founder/CEO Tuesdaynights & Co-founder, Love Goodly @JustineLassoff @ShopLoveGoodly
- Melinda Moore, CMO, Crowdfunder, Co-founder Tuesdaynights @Melinda_Moore
- Rebecca Wilson, Saatchi Art, Chief Curator and Director
- Nanxi Liu, Enplug, CEO
- Ariel Kaye, Parachute, Founder and CEO
- Lina Chen, Nix Hydra, Co-founder and CEO
- Shivani Siroya, Inventure, Founder
3D printing startups are becoming LA’s next major startup boom. It’s only logical that LA is a mecca for 3D printing as it’s home to the aerospace, automotive, video games, visual effects, industrial design, and defense Industries. Join this panel featuring industry leaders about where 3D is going and how Southern California has played a role in their success.
Moderator: Leslie Oliver Karpas, Metamason, CEO
- Mark Mathews, Airwolf 3D, President
- Jens Windau, AIO Robotics, CEO
- Brian Arandez, Thingify, CEO
- Jonathan Schwartz, HexLab Makerspace, COO
- Sean Stevens, New Matter, Director of Product
- Igor Knevic, Feature Film Concept & Special Effects Designer, Founder – Alienology, Designer – Metamason
Mark Mathews, President – Airwolf 3D
Mr. Mathews is President of Airwolf 3D, a designer, manufacturer, and distributor of desktop 3D printers, supplies and technology to the 3D printing and additive manufacturing markets. Previously, Mr. Mathews served at Toshiba as the President and CEO of Toshiba America Business Solutions, Inc. Additionally he served as President, COO, as well as a number of other senior positions.
Jens Windau, CEO – AIO Robotics
Jens Windau is one of the co-founders of the next generation 3D printer company AIO Robotics. He and his co-founders built the world’s first All-in-One 3D Printer/Scanner ZEUS. Jens holds graduate degrees in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science and Technology Management and has worked as an engineer at BMW and as a management consultant for many tech startups. A USC Viterbi alum, AIO Robotics won the Silicon Beach Fest – Startup Showcase in 2014.
Brian Arandez, CEO – Thingify
Thingify is a 3D printing service bureau which also offers design, modeling and concepting services. Brian founded Thingify in 2012 in Irvine. His background is in CS and IT, having worked for Mizuho Securities and NTT Data Corporation.
Jonathan Schwartz, COO – HexLab Makerspace
Jonathan Schwartz is a native born son of Southern California and COO of HexLab Makerspace. He graduated with a business degree from The A.J.U. in 2013.
Sean Stevens, Director of Product – New Matter
New Matter’s mission is to bring 3D printing to every home, school, and office with its flagship products, the MOD-t and New Matter Store. Sean is leading the development of the Store, which will integrate tightly with the printer to provide a seamless 3D printing experience. He previously worked as an engineer for various LA startups, and was co-founder and CTO of Periodical, which was part of LaunchpadLA’s Class 5.
Igor Knevic, Feature Film Concept & Special Effects Designer, Founder – Alienology, Designer – Metamason
Igor is a prolific 3D designer in the film and special effects industry, having created props and environments for Tomorrowland, Jupiter Ascending, Oblivion, X-Men First Class, and many others. He also is the principle designer of the 3D printed jewelry firm Alienology, as well as one of the design leads at Metamason, a scan-to-fit medical device startup here in LA.
Moderated by Leslie Oliver Karpas, CEO – Metamason
Metamason is a medical device startup developing on-demand custom CPAP masks via 3D scanning and a patent pending method for 3D printing silicone. Les’ background includes over 10 years of experience in holography, industrial design, architecture, and robotics. Most notably he spent years designing custom CNC robots and tooling to create art work for famous artists such as Anish Kapoor and Jeff Koons.
Join us for this discussion on girls in tech, from Girls Who Code, who are visiting LA this summer, so we thought we’d invite them to Silicon Beach Fest as a great way to see what is happening in tech. This workshop provides a forum for open discussion with girls in tech, teens age 12-14. Adults are always talking about how to increase girls in tech, so here’s the opportunity to ask girls questions about technology, phone and app social media use, etc. The audience is invited to ask questions like: “What inspired you to learn to code”, “Who are your role models,” ”What do you wish there were more of in the world to help increase girls in tech”, “Do you feel there is bias to girls in tech, and what can be done about it” “What apps do you use?” “Do you really use Snapchat all the time and not Facebook, etc”
Moderator: Lori Schwartz, Managing Partner, StoryTech
Creating business around the world in media, entertainment, and advertising – Execs talking about their company, their content, and their customers.
- Sharona Justman, co-Founder, The Israel Conference
Sharona Justman is the co-Founder of The Israel Conference™ bringing together investors, CEOs, and entrepreneurs from around the world.
The Israel Conference™ is a business and technology conference taking place in Los Angeles in October.
- Roniet Berci, Director of Strategy, The Israel Conference
Roniet Berci is a targeted strategist working with Israeli startups in Israel and in the US from branding and market and content development driving relevant international business relationships.
The Israel Conference™ is a business and technology conference taking place in Los Angeles in October.
- Tal Cohen-Litant, Director of Sales and Business Development, Orad Hi-Tec Systems
Tal Cohen-Litant is an Entrepreneurial Media & Marketing Executive with proven expertise in the management and development of professional teams and high-tech production solutions.
Orad Hi-Tec Systems is a world-leading provider of real-time 3D broadcast graphic, video server, and media asset management solutions, including news, channel branding, sports production and enhancement, elections and special events, virtual studios, and virtual advertisement.
- Mika Kayt, CEO & Co-Founder, Take & Make
Mika Kayt is the Co-Founder of Take & Make and previously co-founded a start-up called Farmbow – gamifying the vegetable gardening experience through providing users with vegetable garden kits and has founded the first Debate Company for Elderly in Israel.
Take & Make empowers Creativity through a service of fulfilling personal Do-It-Yourself experiences
- Uri Levanon, CEO & Co-Founder, Haste Media
Uri Levanon is an on-line video expert. Working with leading broadcasters, creators, brands and studios. Tel Aviv / Stockholm.
Haste Media is a boutique digital entertainment and media advisory firm.
- Maayan Levy, CEO & Co-Founder, Zoliro
Maayan Levy is a technology guru with prior experience creating the Israel Defense Force’s then-new Cyber Defense Unit, then a CTO of a FinTech company.
Zoliro is an app that manages the way brands interact with their audience in live events through digital gift bags that drive results.
We’ve all been awed with the highly believable digital humans appearing in movies, games and online. As capture technologies, software and rendering advances continue, the ability to create digital doubles will become commonplace. As we live more online and in virtual reality, no doubt, we will want our digital doubles ready for Social VR. We’ll share a rapid fire survey of virtual human technologies and take a look at near future development for interactive virtual humans.
Moderator: Diane Piepol, Project Director & US Representative The Digital Doubles Agency
- Kay Arutyunyan, CounterPunch Studios, VP of Production
- Jacquelyn Ford Morie PhD, All These Worlds, Founder & Chief Scientist
- Graham Fyffe, USC Institute for Creative Technologies (ICT), Computer Scientist
- Dan Platt, Facial & Character Modeling Supervisor (Virtual Tupac)
The Silicon Beach Sports League is organizing our annual beach games this year, including volleyball, basketball and surfing, plus new sports like dodgeball, yoga, and more. Sign up and times for beach games will be available soon.
Hatch Studios and Golden Road Brewing invite SBF attendees to its Beer Pong Tournament. Catch some rays, drink some beer, eat some food, and mingle with the Silicon Beach community. Admission includes open bar (beer, bloody marys, party punch), tournament entry, and more. Sponsored by Service Standard, ZICO, Bloody Maria: All Natural Bar Mixes, and Guayaki Yerba Mate. Prizes from Reserve, Instacart, Zeel, RenewU and Hatch Studios. Food will be available for purchase from Home Run Sliders Food Truck. Sign up for the tournament upon arrival. Hatch Studios is a new coworking space in West LA. 21+ only. Bring your SBF Badge to attend. If you don’t have your badge cuz you left it at home or lost it dancing at the closing party, pay $15 cash only at the door.
Join us for 5 vs 5 dodgeball organized by the Silicon Beach Sports League. Show up on the court to pick your team. FREE RSVP to all SBF pass holders, party-only tickets, and table sponsors at http://bit.ly/SBFDodgeball
To celebrate Silicon Beach Fest, our team at Silicon Beach Sports League will be organizing free dodgeball on the sand near Venice Ale House on Saturday June 27th, 2015 from 12pm to 4pm!
Each game will be 5 vs 5! The winning team of “best of three games” stays on the court! You will pick your team on the sand so show up with your fellow entrepreneurs and get ready to dodge, dip, duck, dive, and dodge!
We will have Code of Conduct & Waivers available at the beach for y’all to sign! Bring your startup swag and let’s play some dodgeball!
For more information, please email Justin Brezhnev at firstname.lastname@example.org
We’re rallying volleyball players to play in our Silicon Beach Fest – Silicon Beach Spikers team at the Vilebrequin Beach Games on Saturday at Santa Monica Beach. We are looking for male and female intermediate and advanced players to play a 6-person pickup game, playing against other neighborhood teams.
FREE RSVP so we know you are coming: http://sbf15volley.eventbrite.com
The winning team gets a pair of free Vilebrequin shorts ($250 value).
When we played in 2012, our team won, and our winning team pic got published in the LA Business Journal!
Agenda: Play at Santa Monica Beach 4-6p, then drive up to the Fairmont Miramar for complimentary poolside drinks and appetizers 6-8p. Try to arrive a bit earlier around 3:30p so we can actually practice first!
BYO sunscreen, shorts, shades. We’ll provide some complimentary blue Silicon Beach Fest shades and red Digital LA shades.
PARK in the nearby public lots, cash or credit card. Or use the Luxe Valet app code DIGITALLA to have a blue-jacketed valet meet you when you arrive at the beach to pick up your car, and request drop off later at the Fairmont.
Join us for this panel with digital home and commercial real estate experts at a beachfront condo in North Malibu. Relax with cocktails, enjoy the balcony which overlooks the ocean, and chat at the panel. Thanks to Ethan Samuels for hosting this event.
Address is a private home at 11770 Pacific Coast Highway. Bring your SBF VIP badge for admission.
- Audie Chamberlain, Lion and Orb, Founder and CEO of full services real estate PR agency
- Ethan Samuels, Northwestern Mutual, Financial Advisor
- Sarah Kosasky, Partners Trust Real Estate Brokerage and Acquisitions – Malibu, Founding Partner, Manager
- Adrian Zaw, Zaw Studios, Executive Producer and CEO. Drone Specialist; uses drones for arial real estate photography