Get the Silicon Beach Fest schedule grid here.
Expert panelists will discuss how audience consumption has changed the digital landscape. They will present a new business model addressing ways in which advertisers, technology companies, and service providers can work together to bridge the gap between traditional media platforms and emerging digital platforms. They will also explore new advertising and other revenue streams arising from the new media company eco-system, and propose ways participants can incorporate them into today’s work environment.
Moderator: Ron Camhi, Michelman & Robinson, LLP, Partner
- Vic Sapphire, Michelman & Robinson, LLP, Partner
- Ryan Hong, Michelman & Robinson, LLP, Partner
- Amy Leavitt, Briabe Mobile, Marketing Director
- Josh Entman, Jukin Media, Co-Founder and Chief Development Officer @JoshEntman
A panel of seasoned podcasters discuss how newbies can skyrocket a new podcast.
Moderator: Espree Devora, WeAreLATech.com + #womenintech Podcasts, ‘Podcasting for Beginners’ Instructor at General Assembly
- Ryan Williams, The Influencer Economy podcast @ryanjwill
- Harry Duran, Podcast Junkies podcast; founder of FullCast.co @podcast_junkies
- Graham Elwood, Comedy Film Nerds podcast and Earbuds: The Documentary @grahamelwood
- Addy Saucedo, Do I.T. podcast and sound engineer @addymvr
Espree Devora is known as “the Girl who Gets it Done”. She is Comms VP and Podcast host at WeAreLATech , a virtual tourist office for LA Startups, in addition to being a contributing journalist for TechZulu. The podcast was #2 across all of iTunes New & Noteworthy and is currently featured on Apple’s ‘Inspiring Women’s Voices’. On her blog SaveBusinessTime.com, she curates and reviews the best business software for startups to be more productive. She has provided seminars in entrepreneurship and technology to many corporations and universities including CBS, Disney and USC Executive MBA. Connect with Espree on Twitter @espreedevora or LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/espree.
Harry is the Host of Podcast Junkies and Founder of FullCast, a full-service done-for-you podcast production service.
As a longtime fan of podcasts, Harry was inspired by a trip to the New Media Expo conference in early 2014 to start his own show. Podcast Junkies is a product of his passion for the podcasting medium, and the interesting personalities who currently host some of the more popular and engaging shows on iTunes. It’s a behind-the-scenes peek at these personalities and allows the audience a way to get to know them better.
To listen to the show, visit http://www.podcastjunkies.com
For more information about FullCast, visit http://fullcast.co
Addy Saucedo is the creator and talk host of the DO I.T. Podcast, focused on intentional personal development aka transformation. This show is for those who are brave enough to put their best efforts forward to becoming a better version of themselves. The show hit #1 on iTunes New & Noteworthy for the ‘Health’ and ‘Society & Culture’ categories and #3 across ALL podcast categories in iTunes. Addy was recently featured on the Women In Podcasting panel for TechZulu. She contributes her passion for podcasting by helping podcasters come together via her directory, Podcasters Unite!
Ryan Williams helps companies large and small launch their ideas to the world. As a marketing executive he has developed go-to-market brand strategies for companies such as Disney, Microsoft, Activision and Warner Bros. In the startup world, he’s been an early team member at DigiSynd(Disney), Machinima, and State. Ryan’s professional experience includes 12 years in marketing, business development, and entertainment. He also hosts Stories From the Influencer Economy, a podcast where he speaks to creators and entrepreneurs launching the next big things in media. The podcast was featured in Apple’s “new & noteworthy” in iTunes. He’s a former stand-up comedian who received his B.A. from Vanderbilt University.
Graham Elwood is the co-founder of ComedyFilmNerds.com and LA Podcast Festival. Also co-host of Comedy Film Nerds podcast. Director of Ear Buds: The Podcasting Documentary, set to release this fall. Touring stand-up comic. Surfer, yoga, vegetarian and any other California cliches.
Apps. Every business wants one, be it a game, mobile or web-based. But with more and more apps available, what role should these apps play? Should an app be for profile, for profit or should it perform an additional function and perform a use for society? A panel of award-winning UK-based mobile, web-based and games app developers debate the changing international role of app developers.
Moderator: Matthew Desmier, Founder of Silicon Beach UK, Wise Old Uncle Ltd
- Mike Hawkyard, Amuzo Games, MD and Founder
- Duncan Cook, 3 Sided Cube, MD and Founder @duncancook
- Kriss Bennett, Createful, MD and Founder
- Marc Biles, Ratio, CEO @marcthebeat
- Jon Ginn, Base, Developer Evangelist @jonginn
From Super Bowl campaigns to retail, brands and agencies are facing the growing need to integrate digital into their strategy, creative, and production processes. The panel will feature agency and brand leaders that deal with this challenge on a daily basis and provide insight into their experiences and learnings, and their thoughts on the future of digital integration.
Moderator: Josh Crick, Leo Burnett, SVP, Managing Director of Digital Integration
- Josh Crick, Leo Burnett, Managing Director, Digital Integration
- Victor Nguyen Long, Audi, GM, Customer Experience @VNL
- Carolyn Coyne, Facebook, Creative Strategist, Facebook Creative Shop
- Kingsley Taylor, MRY West, Managing Director
- Derek van den Bosch, Red Interactive, VP of Operations and Delivery
Sean serves as Chief Executive Officer and a member of the board of directors of Demand Media. Sean was previously the CEO of Saatchi Art, which Demand Media acquired in August 2014, and the President and CEO of Ticketmaster, where he also served on the board of directors. Sean held positions of increasing responsibility during his tenure at Ticketmaster, including EVP, Technology and Chief Operating Officer. Sean has also served as an Entrepreneur in Residence at Mayfield Fund and he began his executive experience as EVP, Technology at Citysearch.
Sean sits on several private company boards of directors, including Eventbrite and TuneIn. Sean is also actively involved in non-profit work with CoachArt and the Pat Tillman Foundation.
Sean received his bachelor’s degree from the University of South Carolina and attended graduate school at Boston University and the University of South Carolina.
Join this panel featuring CEOs and CTOs who will assist in answering the questions related to choosing a CTO for your new venture. Topics may include how to differentiate yourself, motivating talent to join, and keeping interest long-term.
Moderator: Bryan Lemster, Halcyon Innovation LLC, President
- John Shiple, Freelance CTO, CEO/CTO
- Alex Capecelatro, Yeti, CEO. Alex is a developer, founder and CEO of Yeti local recommendation mobile app.
- Hank Leber, Vytmn, CEO
- Jeffrey Chernick, RideAmigos, Owner
Developer Track presented by:
Silicon Beach CTOs from top companies will discuss how they find developers, build their team, work with other teams in their organization, and scale for growth from startup to next stages.
Moderator: Casey Frith-Smith, FOX Network Engineering & Operations, VP Video Solutions
- Lukas Sliwka, Grindr, CTO
- Sunil Bhanot, Demand Media, VP of Software Engineering
- Ethan Kravitz, Curbstand, CTO @CurbStand
- John Coogan, Soylent, CTO / Co-Founder
Developer Track presented by:
Women developers from startups and tech companies will discuss issues including finding the right tech job, working at a startup or large tech company, scalability. We will also discuss issues for women developers such as career advancement, working in a male-dominated industry, and what women, men, and companies can do to help women get into tech, stay in tech and succeed in tech. What are local or national resources or organizations for women developers.
Moderator: Tara Tiger Brown, Co-Founder of KitHub, Connected Camps and LA Makerspace
- Hala Aladwan, Technology Consultant @haladwan
- Justine Bateman, Computer Science and Management Major, UCLA; Intern Blur Studio
- Kate Hollenbach, Oblong Industries, Inc, Director Of Design & Computation @kjhollen
- Rachel Blum, Google, Chrome Site Lead, Los Angeles
- Roni Brunn, Video Ace, CEO @thebandfrom
- Cara Kuei, National Football Leauge, Web Developer
Developer Track presented by:
Experts who’ve all sold or worked on digital content deals will discuss their decision process from valuation, to finding an acquiring company, to deal terms, and what you do next. Cuz you can’t go back to a day job.
- Neil Goldberg,AppOne, Founder; Angel Investor. Sold SayNow to Google in 2011
- Alex Fragen, UTA, Head of Global Content at UTA. Part of the team selling Summit to Lionsgate
- David Spitzer, Upper Diamond, CEO. A Branded Content Marketing Company. Was Head of Production at Ninth House – acquired by Korn Ferry for $90M
Digital advertising has become more sophisticated and complex than ever, with the advent of programmatic buying, big data and an unlimited number of technology providers serving the blooming ad tech ecosystem. In this advanced marketing technology session, you’ll hear from some of the brightest minds in advertising tech about what’s hot in 2015 and what to look for from digital marketing over the next five years.
Moderator: Colette Dill Lerner, Steel and Pepper, Managing Partner
- Greg Pritchard, GumGum, SVP Business Development
- Angela Kinsella, Demand Media, Senior Dir. Programmatic Sales
- Varoujan Bedirian, Viant, VP Product Management
- Sheila Marmon, Mirror Digital, Founder and CEO
Will Keenan was named President of Endemol Beyond USA, the digital division of Endemol Shine North America, in November 2013.
Keenan oversees Endemol Beyond USA’s Premium Content Network (PCN), a leading provider of premium content available across more than 20 platforms including YouTube, Yahoo, AOL, Roku, TiVo, DailyMotion and Amazon Fire TV. Within its first year, Endemol Beyond USA established itself as the most-nominated digital network at the 2014 Streamy Awards and also won eight 2015 AVA Digital Awards.
Keenan recently oversaw the launch of ICON, the first worldwide premium lifestyle network. ICON, which is led creatively by digital pioneer and entrepreneur Michelle Phan, launched simultaneously in the U.S. and UK in March 2015. ICON is the new global destination for the empowerment of viewers through inspiration, premium lifestyle content and conversation.
Since joining Endemol Beyond USA, Keenan and his team have partnered with superstars such as Pitbull and Michelle Phan, Vine queen Brittany Furlan, YouTube’s musical prince MattyB, celebrity comedian Andy Milonakis and Emmy Award-winner Drea de Matteo, among others., Keenan has also overseen the online launch of numerous vertical networks and original show formats in comedy, music, originals, reality and lifestyle genres.
Keenan’s executive career in digital began in September 2011 at Maker Studios, where he served as Vice President, Vertical Development & Network Programming. When Keenan began at Maker Studios, the now Disney-owned MCN had 300 channels with more than 300 million monthly views and when he left for Endemol Beyond, Maker had scaled to more than 50,000 channels with five billion monthly views.
During his Maker Studios tenure, Keenan signed, launched and/or partnered with some of YouTube’s top channels such as BadLipReading and he also led Maker to become the first multi-channel network to partner with traditional celebrities including Kevin Smith, Adrian Grenier, Margaret Cho and “Guardians of the Galaxy” writer/director James Gunn. Keenan developed, launched, provided vertical optimization and original content programming development for four Maker Studios vertical network genres (beauty, moms, news and animation), and established Maker’s social presence by leading the company’s initial network-wide social strategy.
Prior to Keenan’s executive roles at Endemol Beyond USA and Maker, he is credited for leading roles in Love God, the first digital feature transferred to 35mm, as well as sci-fi musical The Ghastly Love of Johnny X, the last feature to be filmed on Kodak’s 35mm black-and-white Plus-X film stock. Keenan has been involved with more than 45 independent film productions, both in-front of and behind-the-camera. He’s served as the star, producer, director, writer, financier and stuntman across his independent film career.
Keenan currently resides in Los Angeles with his wife, Getty Images Senior Contributing Photographer Stefanie Keenan, along with their five rescued cats.
Growth hacking experts will share tips and techniques in Growth Hacking, where developers create quick code and scripts to capture marketing data from social media and other open sites, to help them target potential customers, generate sales leads, increase product awareness, and build customer and client databases. These techniques are useful for startups, sales, growth and more. Growth hacking is a unique combination of skill sets of developers and marketers; we’ll discuss how they can work together for successful growth hacking results.
Moderator: Javon Frazier, Maestro Media Ventures, Principal. Formerly Marvel Entertainment, VP Games Marketing @JavonFrazier
- Justin Wu, Vytmn, Co-Founder / Growth Engineer
- Peter Chen, Vytmn, CTO
- Marieme Haynes, JKH Naturals, Managing Director, previously at Microsoft
This panel will examine how the latest in mobile technology is revolutionizing various industries. Topics will include beacons, ACR (Audio Content Recognition), geofencing, augmented reality, and the way they are being applied to solve real business needs.
Moderator: Lori Schwartz, StoryTech, Founder @worldofschwartz
- Allen Vartazarian, Instantly, VP of Product
- Nick Desai, Heal, Co–Founder/CEO
- Laurent Grill, Zeel, LA General Manager @laurentgrill
- Heena Rastogi, eHarmony, Senior iOS Developer
Developer Track presented by:
Experts in product development for software to Internet of Things will discuss strategies and tools for product development including systems for decreased product cycle time, user input and feedback for improvements and updates, lean development, new product features, rollout strategies, software tools to help with product management, and more.
Moderator: Cauri Jaye, rhubarb studios, CEO
- Mark Thomas, Google, Product Manager
- Chris Chandler, Fandango, Senior Director Product and UX
- Mary Baldwin, Pivotal Labs, Product Management
- Brian Kuhn, Media Temple, VP of Product
- Ben Handzo, NationBuilder, Head of Product
Developer Track presented by:
Developers sound off on what they wish Business Dev, Product Managers, CTOs, CEOs, and their clients knew or understood, to help increase business efficiency.
Moderator: Espree Devora, WeAreLATech, Founder
- Kevin Goslar, Originate, Director of Engineering
- Gregorio Rojas, Sabio,LA, Co-Founder
- Brady Tsurutani, DIRECTV, Senior Director of Mobile Software Engineering
- Christian Harden, NFL Digital Media, Application Development Manager
- Matthew Montanez, LIVESTRONG.COM, iOS Engineer @MattMontanez
- Suzzee Uy, Bridg, Senior Software Engineer
Developer Track presented by: