Get the Silicon Beach Fest schedule grid here.
Registration opens. Follow signage at the Marina del Rey Hotel to pick up your badges. Coffee available. Parking is $10 valet at the Marina del Rey Hotel.
LA’s e-commerce startups in fashion, flowers and more will discuss issues e-commerce startups face, including fulfillment, customer acquisition strategies, marketing and social media, and data analytics.
Moderator: Erik Huberman, Hawke Media, Founder / CEO
- Daniel Broukhim, FabFitFun, CEO
- Brock Meltzer, Society6, VP and GM
- Bryan Lalezarian, MeUndies, CEO
- David Daneshgar, BloomNation, Co-Founder
- Joe Richardson, Incase, VP of Direct Sales
- Ara Katz, Spring, Chief Marketing Officer @arakatz
Leading LA VCs and investors will provide an overview on the investment trends in Silicon Beach.
Moderator: Billy O’Grady, City National Bank, SVP
- Erin Shipley, Karlin Ventures, Senior Associate @erinbshipley
- Colleen Poynton, Core Innovation Capital, Vice President
- William Hsu, MuckerLab, Co-Founder and Partner
Learn how to make your online profile to be more irresistible on both dating services and work-related sites (because people check both!) at this hands-on workshop with dating expert Julie Spira, CEO of Cyber-Dating Expert and Talia Golstein, founder of Three Day Rule. Learn what photos to use, what to say in your description, and what kind of things you should be posting about to increase your dating attractability while still being professional, on services including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Match, Tinder, Grindr, and more. Bring your phone and get ready to edit your description and change your profile pic.
Glam Squad will do touch ups and a photographer will be on hand to snap your photo, to fix your profile on the spot.
- Julie Spira, Cyber-Dating Expert, CEO
- Talia Goldstein, Three Day Rule, Founder and CEO
Julie Spira is the CEO of Cyber-Dating Expert where she’s been helping singles find love online for over 20 years. She is the go-to person in the media for online dating advice and has appeared in/on over 600 news stories including ABC, CBS, CNN, FOX, NBC, Los Angeles Times, Men’s Health, Women’s Heath and New York Times. She is quoted in the June issue of Women’s Health with her online dating advice
Talia Goldstein is the CEO and Founder of Three Day Rule, a personalized Matchmaking company backed by Match.com. An expert matchmaker with hundreds of success stories, Talia has created 3 matching algorithms, and has been featured on CNN, USA Today, Time, CBS, PBS, Newsweek, Huffington Post, NPR, People, Pando Daily, Maxim, GQ, TMZ, Cosmopolitan & more. She was named to Story Exchange’s Power List of Female Entrepreneurs in 2015, and was in DigitalLA’s Top 50 Digital Women in 2015.
Mobile payments experts and entrepreneurs will explore the latest developments in mobile payments and what we can all expect next in the ever changing world of money and digital money. How does Apple Pay change the mobile payments landscape? What will the consumer and merchant adoption curve look like? What’s next for Samsung Pay, Android Pay and others? What are the latest trends in digitizing not only the payment, but discounts, offers, receipts and electronic billing? What are some of the challenges in deploying new payments technologies and reaching the desired consumer and merchant adoption levels?
Moderator: Vincent Hruska, City National Bank, SVP
- Steve Landry, GlobeOne, COO
- Ben Katz, CARD.com, Founder and CEO
- Colleen Poynton, Core Innovation Capital
- Shai Stern, CheckAlt, CEO
- Matthew Goldman, Wallaby, CEO
A panel of seasoned podcasters discuss how newbies can skyrocket a new podcast.
Moderator: Espree Devora, WeAreLATech.com + #womenintech Podcasts, ‘Podcasting for Beginners’ Instructor at General Assembly
- Ryan Williams, The Influencer Economy podcast @ryanjwill
- Harry Duran, Podcast Junkies podcast; founder of FullCast.co @podcast_junkies
- Graham Elwood, Comedy Film Nerds podcast and Earbuds: The Documentary @grahamelwood
- Addy Saucedo, Do I.T. podcast and sound engineer @addymvr
Espree Devora is known as “the Girl who Gets it Done”. She is Comms VP and Podcast host at WeAreLATech , a virtual tourist office for LA Startups, in addition to being a contributing journalist for TechZulu. The podcast was #2 across all of iTunes New & Noteworthy and is currently featured on Apple’s ‘Inspiring Women’s Voices’. On her blog SaveBusinessTime.com, she curates and reviews the best business software for startups to be more productive. She has provided seminars in entrepreneurship and technology to many corporations and universities including CBS, Disney and USC Executive MBA. Connect with Espree on Twitter @espreedevora or LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/espree.
Harry is the Host of Podcast Junkies and Founder of FullCast, a full-service done-for-you podcast production service.
As a longtime fan of podcasts, Harry was inspired by a trip to the New Media Expo conference in early 2014 to start his own show. Podcast Junkies is a product of his passion for the podcasting medium, and the interesting personalities who currently host some of the more popular and engaging shows on iTunes. It’s a behind-the-scenes peek at these personalities and allows the audience a way to get to know them better.
To listen to the show, visit http://www.podcastjunkies.com
For more information about FullCast, visit http://fullcast.co
Addy Saucedo is the creator and talk host of the DO I.T. Podcast, focused on intentional personal development aka transformation. This show is for those who are brave enough to put their best efforts forward to becoming a better version of themselves. The show hit #1 on iTunes New & Noteworthy for the ‘Health’ and ‘Society & Culture’ categories and #3 across ALL podcast categories in iTunes. Addy was recently featured on the Women In Podcasting panel for TechZulu. She contributes her passion for podcasting by helping podcasters come together via her directory, Podcasters Unite!
Ryan Williams helps companies large and small launch their ideas to the world. As a marketing executive he has developed go-to-market brand strategies for companies such as Disney, Microsoft, Activision and Warner Bros. In the startup world, he’s been an early team member at DigiSynd(Disney), Machinima, and State. Ryan’s professional experience includes 12 years in marketing, business development, and entertainment. He also hosts Stories From the Influencer Economy, a podcast where he speaks to creators and entrepreneurs launching the next big things in media. The podcast was featured in Apple’s “new & noteworthy” in iTunes. He’s a former stand-up comedian who received his B.A. from Vanderbilt University.
Graham Elwood is the co-founder of ComedyFilmNerds.com and LA Podcast Festival. Also co-host of Comedy Film Nerds podcast. Director of Ear Buds: The Podcasting Documentary, set to release this fall. Touring stand-up comic. Surfer, yoga, vegetarian and any other California cliches.
Meet Silicon Beach startups in part one of this pitch fest where new and up-and-coming startups will pitch for 3 minutes with 3 min of judges Q&A. Judges will pick 6 startups to advance to the final round on June 26, 5p at Marina del Rey Hotel.
Showcase Producer: Andreas Seckler
- Chris Hill, Siemer & Associates, Vice President
- Brian Pass, Shepphard Mullin, Partner
- Anshul Kundani, Google, Product Manager
- Yohei Nakajima, Techstars @Yohei Nakajima
Last year’s Startup Showcase winner AIO Robotics took home the grand prize.
Industry, Cody Barbo, CEO
Industry is a professional network for the service and hospitality industry, allowing users to highlight skills and talents using photos and videos, and offers businesses hiring solutions @jointheindustry
Evrybit, Eric Ortiz, Founder/CEO
Evrybit is a mobile-first live collaborative storytelling app. We empower anyone to create and monetize media on a smartphone in real time. @evrybit
RenewU, Kim Klafczynski, Founder
Uber for fitness. Personal training, yoga & pilates in as little as 3 minutes and low as $25. @renewufitness
BuzzQuest, Shaun Newsum, Founder/CEO
BuzzQuest is a mobile app which lets any social media user accept offers from brands to share their product. High Concept Pitch: Venmo/Square Cash for Influencer Marketing. We bring influencer marketing to the masses. masses. @buzzquestapp
Kombie, Stuart Berwick, Co-Founder
Kombie is a mobile video app than lets you add yourself to highlights from live music, sports, movies, TV and whatever is happening now. @kombieofficial
Shopping Quizzes, Jennie Wong, CEO
Shopping Quizzes are custom, interactive product-finders that retailers install on their ecommerce sites, which gives their shoppers a fun, visual way to quickly find what they want to buy. Our quizzes lift conversion rates using cognitive science. @shoppingquizzes
Vytmn, Hank Leber, CEO
Vytmn is Growth as a Service. Hands free ‘Do it for you’ marketing for businesses and brands. @vytmn
Flypbox Inc., Robert Rippberger, CEO
Websites, apps, and point of sale for retail shops. The only fully integrated platform of its kind. @flypbox
Portent.IO, Hamish Brocklebank, CEO
Portent.IO is a data science platform that helps Producers, Distributors & Studios, improve the efficacy of their marketing for theatrical and digital release as well as increase monetisation of their back catalogues. @portentio
toot, Sophia Parsa, CEO
Mobile app that connects you to tutors coaches and instructors in your area. A skill sharing community. @tootapp
DermCheck App, Ben Behnam MD, Co-Founder, Medical Director
DermCheck App is a Telemedicine App that allows consumers to conduct a virtual office visit with a Dermatologist from the convenience of their home. @dermcheckapp
Join our joint panel of experts on the growing medicinal marijuana startup industry. With legalization of medicinal marijuana, startups are growing in the cannabis space. Plus, new investors are cropping up. We’ll discuss startups in the discovery, delivery, and distribution of medicinal marijuana, and related startups in merchandising, fashion, lifestyle, reviews, and more.
- Walter Grieves, ROC, Think Tank Cannabis Consulting Group, Propagate.LA
- Olivia Alexander, Crystal Cult, CEO/Founder
- Walter Grieves, ROC, Think Tank Cannabis Consulting Group, Propagate.LA. Walter manages a portfolio of cannabis investments/Companies, and is co-founder of ROC (Real Office Centers a Cannabis Friendly Building) in Santa Monica. He Co-Founded the Think Tank Cannabis Consulting Group (www.cannabisconsultinggroup.org) with professors from USC and UCLA. Walter servers as President of Alta Diversified a Cannabis Business Management Company and is launching a Cannabis Business Accelerator Program/Fund in May called Propagate.la and Propagate Capital at ROC. @ROC_USA
- Olivia Alexander, Crystal Cult, CEO/Founder. With over 100K Instagram followers,The Crystal Cult has established itself as an all-inclusive girls club for fun and fabulous sunglasses, vaporizers, and luxury cannabis accessories. As seen on Cosmopolitian.com, LIVE! With Michael and Kelley, The New York Times, Jezebel, and MTV.com. @thecrystalcult
CEOs from LA’s biggest tech exits will describe their exit process: How they found an acquirer, due diligence, alignment of operations, corporate culture, valuation, communication to employees, and life after exiting.
Moderator: Garrett Reim, LA Business Journal, Tech Reporter
- Will Kassoy, Opera Mediaworks, CMO (CEO of Adcolony, pre-acquisition) @WillKassoy
- Matt Nutt, Glu Mobile, GM (Studio head @ Cie Games, pre-acquisition)
- Karl Rinderknecht, AOL, VP of Platforms (CEO of Gravity, pre-acquisition)
Meet Silicon Beach startups in part two of this pitch fest where new and up-and-coming startups will pitch for 3 minutes with 3 min of judges Q&A. Judges will pick 6 startups to advance to the final round on June 26, 5p at Marina del Rey Hotel.
Showcase Producer: Andreas Seckler
- John Dao, DIRECTV, Director of Digital Ideation
- Jeremy Dann, USC Marshall, Greif Center for Entrepreneurial Studies, Professor of Entrepreneurship
- Hamet Watt, Upfront Ventures, Venture Partner
- Derek Au, Orange Silicon Valley, Technology Analyst
Last year’s Startup Showcase winner AIO Robotics took home the grand prize.
STEMP Inc., Barnabas Gero, Chief Business Officer
STEMP creates personal health monitoring products for consumer as well as institutional applications, the first being the STEMP Smart Temperature Patch™, the thermometer reinvented for the 21st century. @getstemp
Kersplody, Tim Gruhl, CEO
Kersplody is creating the interface to decouple algorithms/analytics and the underlying infrastructure. This will change the business model for how algorithms are developed and also for significant reuse of them, which is currently impossible. @kersplody
NVdrones, Kevin Mukai, COO
NVdrones is a platform that lets companies create an application for any drone. @nvdrones
CureCrowd, Dr. Charles Rocamboli, CEO
CureCrowd is a web-based pubic resource tool designed to objectively compare traditional and alternative medicine. This is done by aggregating surveys supplied by our user base, and presenting them to the public as easy-to-read graphs. @curecrowd
DelightWipes, Summers McKay, CEO & Founder
The DelightWipes #MakeLoveMore App is a love-changing, sex life enhancing, tool with data tracking, intimacy tips, personal journal, mood monitor, food list, and even better – integration with your sleep trackers and fitness wearables! @delightwipes
Serenify, Garrett Gilbertson, Co-Founder, CEO
Website that allows users to verify their identities and verify key pieces of information that we communicate where ever our members need to establish trust online. @helloserenify
2Truths and a Lie, Tyler Adams, Co-Founder.
2Truths is an app that helps strangers start a conversation. @2TruthsApp
Holyvent, Julien Jorda, CEO
Holyvent is a platform that lets users share live, geotagged, multi-angle videos of events @holyventcompany
ScriptBook, Nadira Azermai, Founder
ScriptBook provides film studios & production companies, film investors & distributors with script-based box office predictions prior to investment, production & sunk costs. @scriptbook_io
Tesloop, Haydn, Founder
Tesloop is building the first Sustainable Transportation Network. Initially focused regional travel, it is based on semi-autonomous electric cars. @tesloop
Did you know that two of LA’s five $1 billion+ startups are founded by women? As the LA entrepreneur ecosystem continues to strengthen, there is a growing pipeline of women-led companies who could join tomorrow’s billion dollar club. Hear from a panel of women founders breaking new ground in e-commerce, social media music festival production, socially responsible marketplaces and designer dress rental – and the women who are making seed and early stage investments in women-led companies.
Moderator: Julie MacMedan, Women Founders Network, Co-Founder and COO
- Ann Wang, Enrou, Co-Founder and CEO
- Kelsey Doorey, Vow to be Chic, Co-Founder and CEO
- Jamie Kantrowitz, MESA Ventures, Managing Partner
- Katie Warner Johnson, Carbon38, Co-Founder and CEO
Join this panel featuring CEOs and CTOs who will assist in answering the questions related to choosing a CTO for your new venture. Topics may include how to differentiate yourself, motivating talent to join, and keeping interest long-term.
Moderator: Bryan Lemster, Halcyon Innovation LLC, President
- John Shiple, Freelance CTO, CEO/CTO
- Alex Capecelatro, Yeti, CEO. Alex is a developer, founder and CEO of Yeti local recommendation mobile app.
- Hank Leber, Vytmn, CEO
- Jeffrey Chernick, RideAmigos, Owner
Developer Track presented by:
Speakers will discuss the rising tech startup scene in various international cities and countries, discussing startups, tech, and startups with international operations. Workshop also includes a Reverse Pitch, where startups who are considering international expansion will state what they do, and country representatives will provide advice on what cities they should expand to and why.
Moderator: Jeff Musson, Dynamite Network, CEO
- Deirdre Moran, US West Coast, IDA Ireland, VP High Growth Companies
- Pravin Uttarwar, Mindbowser, CTO (India)
- Gray Bright, The Tomorrow Show, Host (Australia)
- Britta Eriksson, Euro VAT Refund, CEO
Companies from Silicon Beach UK will give insights into using digital tools to build brands.
Moderator: Matthew Desmier, Founder of Silicon Beach, Wise Old Uncle Ltd
- Jamie Sergeant, Director, Crowd @JamieSergeant
- Arabella Lewis-Smith, MD and Founder, Salad @BellaLewisSmith
- Paul Sheehy, Founder, Folk @KiwiSheehy
- Daniel Ward-Murphy, Head of Insight, The Emerge Group
- Lee Noon, Head of eCommerce, LV=
Silicon Beach CTOs from top companies will discuss how they find developers, build their team, work with other teams in their organization, and scale for growth from startup to next stages.
Moderator: Casey Frith-Smith, FOX Network Engineering & Operations, VP Video Solutions
- Lukas Sliwka, Grindr, CTO
- Sunil Bhanot, Demand Media, VP of Software Engineering
- Ethan Kravitz, Curbstand, CTO @CurbStand
- John Coogan, Soylent, CTO / Co-Founder
Developer Track presented by:
This session will focus on key aspects of the Internet of Things (IoT) and the overall connectivity of products and devices. With the changing nature of business and the “things” themselves, sensors, connectivity elements, and software are increasingly being embedded into the products manufacturers around the globe are designing and building. Come learn how to navigate, participate in, and engage your business with this global tech transformation. This is a must-attend for tech executives, device and product manufacturers, and software, application, and product designers, and more!
Moderator: Kimberly Hawkins, Intertek, Account Executive, Internet of Things, Smart Services
- Marcel Hill, Intertek, Global Director of Internet of Things (IoT) Services
- Matt Nelson, Intertek, Business Development Manager
Marcel Hill, Intertek, Global Director of Internet of Things (IoT) Services. As a global business Trailblazer at Intertek for services addressing the Internet of Things, Marcel Hill brings his 20+ years of experience in progressive manufacturing, operations, and technical leadership in highly regulated environments to retailers and manufacturers alike. Marcel guides a team comprised of engineering, sales, quality, logistics, EH&S, and customer service members, using First-hand knowledge and experience to aid in effective decision-making and the cultivation of sustainable partnerships. He is responsible for customer-focused wireless solutions designed to offer global brands a comprehensive scope of safety, performance, and quality testing and certification services.
Matt Nelson is a Business Development Manager for software testing and wireless testing services at Intertek. He has over 10 years’ experience in business development and validation testing, and he helps manage a number of certification programs, including JavaVerified, Microsoft Phonestore, Qualcomm TBT, Virgin Mobile, and Blackberry 10. According to Matt, assisting vendors in the creation of application stores and different testing initiatives is our growing expertise, as are many other testing and problem-solving initiatives.
Kimberly Hawkins provides complete testing, certification, and consulting solutions to her clients so they meet all necessary requirements for domestic and global market entry. She creates a team of experts and engineering talent around each client project so that an effective and successful roadmap is implemented to support clients’ business initiatives. Her purview of solutions includes a wide range of services such as wireless, Bluetooth, performance, software, and compliance testing, along with design and global certification support.
Moderator: Neal Ungerleider, Fast Company, Reporter
- Chet Pipkin, Belkin, Founder and Chairman
- Scott Painter, TrueCar, CEO and Founder
- Julie Schoenfeld, Strobe, CEO; also was CEO of Perfect Market, which was acquired by Taboola [bio]
Chinese investors and companies are actively investing in Silicon Beach. After Chinese-based Tencent acquired LA-based Riot Games, more Chinese investors are investing in LA area startups. Learn what these investors are looking for, how they find LA startups, investment deal structure, and more. Also, we will discuss how Silicon Beach companies that are looking to expand to China can do so via local Chinese partners, and more.
Moderator: Rebecca Fannin, Forbes Contributor; Silicon Dragon Ventures, Founder/Editor
This panel will feature hardware startups discussing their path to success on developing a business, not just a product, with a singular aim of supporting hardware startups, versus makers or big business.
Moderator: Jeremy Goodwin, SyncFab.Com, Founder
- Stuart Karten, Karten Design, President
- Grant Delgatty, Pasadena Art Center College of Design, Instructor
- Nick Agid, Made in California Factory Tours, Fabrication Design & Materials Advising Director
- Chris Rico, Los Angeles Economic Development Corporation (LAEDC), Director of Innovation
- Avidan Ross, Lion Wells Capital, Founder
Cornerstone OnDemand is bringing the food truck back to Silicon Beach Fest! The food truck was so popular last year, we’re bringing it back! Enjoy complimentary custom Silicon Beach Fest menu items when you show your SBF pass. One food item per person. Quantities limited, while supplies last.
Tweet @CornerstoneInc thanks and pics of your food!
Experts who’ve all sold or worked on digital content deals will discuss their decision process from valuation, to finding an acquiring company, to deal terms, and what you do next. Cuz you can’t go back to a day job.
- Neil Goldberg,AppOne, Founder; Angel Investor. Sold SayNow to Google in 2011
- Alex Fragen, UTA, Head of Global Content at UTA. Part of the team selling Summit to Lionsgate
- David Spitzer, Upper Diamond, CEO. A Branded Content Marketing Company. Was Head of Production at Ninth House – acquired by Korn Ferry for $90M
Our panel with senior execs will cover: What do you look for in a resume? What makes one stand out over another? What puts you off? Where do you advertise jobs? Can you just apply directly? What are the key traits you look for when interviewing a candidate? What can someone do to really make an impression?
Any interviewing successes or horror stories? What is the demand across LA?
Is there a different approach a candidate should take for a startup vs mid-size vs large company? What changes are you seeing in the job market?
Moderator: Marc Cohen, EVP ConSol Partners
- Tino Lucente, Verizon Digital Media Services, Senior Recruiting Manager
- Perry Evoniuk, Evite, CTO
- Shariq Osman, DIRECTV, Senior Manager
- Rob Krumwiede, Creative Artists Agency, VP of Technology
- Courtney Montpas, HIRED, General Manager
- Tim Nabhani, Dollar Shave Club, VP of Engineering
Women founders, including those who have raised angel or VC capital discuss what it takes to succeed from funding, team building to strategy.
- Justine Lassoff, Co-founder/CEO Tuesdaynights & Co-founder, Love Goodly @JustineLassoff @ShopLoveGoodly
- Melinda Moore, CMO, Crowdfunder, Co-founder Tuesdaynights @Melinda_Moore
- Rebecca Wilson, Saatchi Art, Chief Curator and Director
- Nanxi Liu, Enplug, CEO
- Ariel Kaye, Parachute, Founder and CEO
- Lina Chen, Nix Hydra, Co-founder and CEO
- Shivani Siroya, Inventure, Founder
- Nandan Kalle, Belkin International, Director, Commercial Networking
- John Shiple, FreelanceCTO, Founder
Startups confront many of the same technology challenges as large enterprises do only with limited financial resources and tech support. To further complicate matters technology is a very wide and disparate set of functions, tasks, hardware, and software depending on the context, and the technical staff is expected to (quite literally) know every detail about every piece of technology within the company. For a small team, this is an unrealistic expectation as most companies focus on their product and fall far short or experience significant pain with their own internal, networking infrastructure. Ask yourself: are you addressing your internal company (aka office) networking, and how is this different than your production network infrastructure?
To remain competitive, companies must maintain and purchase technology that scales with their business while their workplace is radically changing. However, early stage companies do not have all the necessary roles to fully satisfy the entire spectrum of a company’s Technology needs. Cultural and technological shifts like remote working and BYOD can strain the network and dramatically impact a company’s operations. This session will discuss the key things startups needs to consider when a designing a local (aka in-office and/or remote office) network for today – and one for the future. For this workshop, attendees will participate in an interactive Q&A to ask experts all those how-to and what-should-I type questions from those who’ve built scalable companies.
- What is the difference between my product’s network infrastructure and the network infrastructure required to support my company’s operations?
- How do I choose the networking right gear? What equipment do I need? What are some common metrics or baselines for choosing the right components?
- When is it time to upgrade? When do you buy off shelf vs. going to a reseller?
- What things need to be taken into consideration when setting up a wireless network, e.g., building materials, obstructions, AP configurations, antenna position
- What is the best way to support open collaboration and workforce mobility
- Combatting security vulnerabilities – How to protect your WLAN from hackers sitting a mile away
- How will IoT affect small businesses?
Join this panel with leaders in the tech scene from San Diego and Santa Barbara, who’ll provide a brief overview of what’s happening in tech to our neighbors to the south and north of Silicon Beach. Speakers will provide a brief overview of the major investors (accelerators, VCs, angels), types of startups (biotech, ad tech, consumer, media, etc.), access to developers and marketing / branding talent to help grow your startup, and local resources for funding, events, and more.
- Neal Bloom (San Diego), SD Tech Spotlight, Founder; Neal Bloom Consulting
- Jacques Habra (Santa Barbara), Self Echo, Thought Leader; Executive Director, Noospheric
- Zahir Wahid (Long Beach), Sidian Agency, Co-Owner; Code for Long Beach. Etoy Foundation, TAFF Expo
Hollywood studios, agencies and entertainment companies will discuss how they are getting involved in Silicon Beach. Movie studios and talent agencies will discuss how they are working with startups, and in some cases incubating and investing in startups. Entertainment startups will discuss how they work with studios, influencers, and more.
Moderator: Rynda Laurel, @rynda
- Avi Gandhi, William Morris Endeavor, Digital Agent
- Mandy Salzman, Techstars
- Mark Young, Fandango, VP Strategy and Business Development
- Kiel Berry, Machine Shop, Executive Vice President. Machine Shop is the VC firm for the band Linkin Park, which has made investment in Lyft, Shyp and Robinhood
- Rynda Laurel has worked with hundreds of music artists from developing acts to multi-platinum, Grammy-winning, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees. She also advises music based online platforms and is a sought-after moderator, speaker at international conferences including MIDEM, Silicon Beach Fest, SXSW, SXSW, V2V, DEW, CMW, and Digital LA.
- Avi Gandhi, William Morris Endeavor, Digital Agent. Avi works with digital native talent and other digital deals at WME. He is on Forbes 30 Under 30 List.
- Mandy Salzman, TechStars, which powers Disney Accelerator. Mandy previously worked at Sony Pictures and Fox.
- Mark Young, Fandango, VP Strategy and Business Development. At Fandango, a subsidiary of NBCUniversal, Mark oversees distribution and co-marketing of mobile services, commerce and video, handset manufacturers, connected devices, social media and digital video platforms, app stores and retailers.
- Kiel Berry is the Executive Vice President of Machine Shop, the wholly owned innovation company of the Grammy Award winning band Linkin Park, focused on fashion, design, tech, and innovative brand partnerships. Most recently, he runs Machine Shop Ventures, a venture capital fund that invests in early-to-growth stage companies with a global scope. To date, MSV has invested in Lyft, Shyp, Robinhood, and Blue Bottle Coffee. Prior to Machine Shop Ventures, Kiel worked at Creative Artists Agency in Entertainment Marketing and International Corporate Development focused on global expansion initiatives.
Moderator: Ted Werth, Tengrade, CEO; startup advisor @tejawe
- Jeff Lapin, Tech Coast Angels, President of LA Network
- Brad Zions, Harvard Business School Angels; Partner at Structure Partners
- Kris Bjornerud, Crosscut Ventures, Venture Partner; Amplify LA, Executive Director
- Dan Chen, Siemer & Associates, Managing Director
- Shamin Rostami, TYLT Lab, Partner
- Jeff Lapin, Tech Coast Angels, President of LA Network. Members of the Tech Coast Angels fund early stage Southern California technology companies. The membership consists of approximately 300 individuals from 5 independent regional networks (Central Coast, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego, Inland Empire).
- Brad Zions, Harvard Business School Angels; Partner at Structure Partners. Brad Zions is a Los Angeles-based investor and entrepreneur. Zions has deep domain expertise in digital media and the restaurant, apparel and entertainment industries. Zions has been an active angel investor for the past 16 years, both individually and as a member of HBS Angels. Recent investments include Jukin Media, Moviepass, bBooth, Parachute, TrustEgg and Venga. Previous exits include QXL (now Tradus, which was acquired by Naspers in 2008) and Google via Ron Conway’s Angel funds I and II.
- Evan Eneman, Wharton Angel Network of SoCal, President; Co-founder of WAN SoCal
Drone experts discuss the growing drone market including the rise in drone startups, drone VCs and investors, and types of drone companies (photography, e-commerce, B2C and B2B). We’ll also discuss how to get started in drones, going from drone hobbyist to business, rules and legislation affecting drone flight, and drone resources in LA.
Moderator: Neal Ungerleider, Fast Company, Reporter @nealunger
- Michael Shabun, DJI, Brand Partnerships Manager
- Craig Glover, Yuneec International, Product Evangelist
- Keith Kaplan, Tesla Foundation, CEO and CEO of UAVSA
- Ben Marcus, AirMap, Co-Founder and CEO; Angel Investor
- Dan Burton, DroneBase, CEO, Founder @DanielBBurton
- Michael Shabun, DJI, Brand Partnerships Manager. DJI is the market leader in consumer easy-to-fly drones and aerial photography systems. Its quadcopters like the Phantom are the standard in consumer drone technology. DJI showcases at CES and other major shows. @DJIglobal
- Craig Glover, Yuneec International, Product Evangelist. Yuneec develops state of the art electric powered products for personal transport and leisure, including drones. @YuneecIntl
- Keith Kaplan, Tesla Foundation, CEO and CEO of UAVSA (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Systems Association). The Tesla Foundation accomplishes its non profit goals utilizing its research labs and facilities, education labs, educational events and summits, and software. UAVSA is an organization of drone manufacturers, distributors, retailers, publishers, software companies, creatives, and enthusiasts that serves as the voice for commercial UAS community within FAA guidelines and regulations. UAVSA just held its first drone conference a few months ago in LA. @TeslaFound @UAVSAUSA
- Ben is Co-Founder & CEO of AirMap, which is helping make drones a part of everyday life by providing comprehensive, highly-accurate, up-to-date, dynamic airspace information to drones and their operators. AirMap’s information is already available in Beta at www.airmap.io. Ben was previously cofounder of jetAVIVA, the world’s largest broker of light jet planes. He is also an angel investor in several companies including Skydio, which is developing computer-vision technology for drones to navigate in GPS-deprived environments and provide autonomous obstacle detection and avoidance. @FlyingBenji
Join us for this discussion on girls in tech, from Girls Who Code, who are visiting LA this summer, so we thought we’d invite them to Silicon Beach Fest as a great way to see what is happening in tech. This workshop provides a forum for open discussion with girls in tech, teens age 12-14. Adults are always talking about how to increase girls in tech, so here’s the opportunity to ask girls questions about technology, phone and app social media use, etc. The audience is invited to ask questions like: “What inspired you to learn to code”, “Who are your role models,” ”What do you wish there were more of in the world to help increase girls in tech”, “Do you feel there is bias to girls in tech, and what can be done about it” “What apps do you use?” “Do you really use Snapchat all the time and not Facebook, etc”
Moderator: Lori Schwartz, Managing Partner, StoryTech
Creating business around the world in media, entertainment, and advertising – Execs talking about their company, their content, and their customers.
- Sharona Justman, co-Founder, The Israel Conference
Sharona Justman is the co-Founder of The Israel Conference™ bringing together investors, CEOs, and entrepreneurs from around the world.
The Israel Conference™ is a business and technology conference taking place in Los Angeles in October.
- Roniet Berci, Director of Strategy, The Israel Conference
Roniet Berci is a targeted strategist working with Israeli startups in Israel and in the US from branding and market and content development driving relevant international business relationships.
The Israel Conference™ is a business and technology conference taking place in Los Angeles in October.
- Tal Cohen-Litant, Director of Sales and Business Development, Orad Hi-Tec Systems
Tal Cohen-Litant is an Entrepreneurial Media & Marketing Executive with proven expertise in the management and development of professional teams and high-tech production solutions.
Orad Hi-Tec Systems is a world-leading provider of real-time 3D broadcast graphic, video server, and media asset management solutions, including news, channel branding, sports production and enhancement, elections and special events, virtual studios, and virtual advertisement.
- Mika Kayt, CEO & Co-Founder, Take & Make
Mika Kayt is the Co-Founder of Take & Make and previously co-founded a start-up called Farmbow – gamifying the vegetable gardening experience through providing users with vegetable garden kits and has founded the first Debate Company for Elderly in Israel.
Take & Make empowers Creativity through a service of fulfilling personal Do-It-Yourself experiences
- Uri Levanon, CEO & Co-Founder, Haste Media
Uri Levanon is an on-line video expert. Working with leading broadcasters, creators, brands and studios. Tel Aviv / Stockholm.
Haste Media is a boutique digital entertainment and media advisory firm.
- Maayan Levy, CEO & Co-Founder, Zoliro
Maayan Levy is a technology guru with prior experience creating the Israel Defense Force’s then-new Cyber Defense Unit, then a CTO of a FinTech company.
Zoliro is an app that manages the way brands interact with their audience in live events through digital gift bags that drive results.
Startup Showcase finalists will pitch for 5 min followed by 5 min Q&A. Judges will pick a final to win the Silicon Beach Fest 2015 title and prize package.
- Bob Vanech, Zealot Networks, COO
- Fran Seegull, USC, ImpactAssets, Chief Investment Officer @franseegull
- David Carter, Zuma Ventures, CEO, Co-Founder
We just added this Disneyland meetup because so many international SBF attendees are in town, and wanted to go to Disneyland! International attendees to this year’s SBF include the 25-member delegation from our Silicon Sister city, Silicon Beach UK who spoke on 2 panels, as well as attendees who flew in from London, Scotland, Germany, Belgium, Mexico, and India. All SBF attendees invited to Disneyland for a photo opp at the Castle at 7p to catch sunset lighting. Look for Silicon Beach Fest – Festival Director @KevinWinston in the red SBF shirt (and tweet him to find him). We’ll bring SBF fans and shades for you for the pic! You can also check out the artwork of Frozen near Main St; Steve Goldberg of Disney Animation discussed the making of Frozen at our VFX of Hollywood Blockbusters panel on Friday.
This event is pay on your own, Disneyland admission is $99/day, no SBF pass discounts. Deluxe annual passports are valid today.