Get the Silicon Beach Fest schedule grid here.
Mobile marketing is on the fast track to overtake desktop and become our single most used device and digital marketing/ad budgets prove it. We surf the web, communicate, email, utilize apps hourly, but how is a marketer to navigate this channel with all its entrée points – both online and offline? Display advertising leaves much to be desired. What alternative creative uses are marketers employing in this new landscape? How is mobile marketing impacting content development and cross-channel campaigns? How is big data informing mobile marketing and where does location-based fit in? We’ll explore all these topics and more.
Moderator: Erik Sass, MediaPost, Reporter
- Marc Mitchell, Lootsie, CEO
- Michael Hayes, UberMedia, CRO/CMO @UberMedia
- Adam Brenner, sparks & honey, Director of Product and Emerging Platforms
- Komnieve Singh, CallFire, Co-Founder and President
Mobile payments experts and entrepreneurs will explore the latest developments in mobile payments and what we can all expect next in the ever changing world of money and digital money. How does Apple Pay change the mobile payments landscape? What will the consumer and merchant adoption curve look like? What’s next for Samsung Pay, Android Pay and others? What are the latest trends in digitizing not only the payment, but discounts, offers, receipts and electronic billing? What are some of the challenges in deploying new payments technologies and reaching the desired consumer and merchant adoption levels?
Moderator: Vincent Hruska, City National Bank, SVP
- Steve Landry, GlobeOne, COO
- Ben Katz, CARD.com, Founder and CEO
- Colleen Poynton, Core Innovation Capital
- Shai Stern, CheckAlt, CEO
- Matthew Goldman, Wallaby, CEO
Meet Silicon Beach startups in part one of this pitch fest where new and up-and-coming startups will pitch for 3 minutes with 3 min of judges Q&A. Judges will pick 6 startups to advance to the final round on June 26, 5p at Marina del Rey Hotel.
Showcase Producer: Andreas Seckler
- Chris Hill, Siemer & Associates, Vice President
- Brian Pass, Shepphard Mullin, Partner
- Anshul Kundani, Google, Product Manager
- Yohei Nakajima, Techstars @Yohei Nakajima
Last year’s Startup Showcase winner AIO Robotics took home the grand prize.
Industry, Cody Barbo, CEO
Industry is a professional network for the service and hospitality industry, allowing users to highlight skills and talents using photos and videos, and offers businesses hiring solutions @jointheindustry
Evrybit, Eric Ortiz, Founder/CEO
Evrybit is a mobile-first live collaborative storytelling app. We empower anyone to create and monetize media on a smartphone in real time. @evrybit
RenewU, Kim Klafczynski, Founder
Uber for fitness. Personal training, yoga & pilates in as little as 3 minutes and low as $25. @renewufitness
BuzzQuest, Shaun Newsum, Founder/CEO
BuzzQuest is a mobile app which lets any social media user accept offers from brands to share their product. High Concept Pitch: Venmo/Square Cash for Influencer Marketing. We bring influencer marketing to the masses. masses. @buzzquestapp
Kombie, Stuart Berwick, Co-Founder
Kombie is a mobile video app than lets you add yourself to highlights from live music, sports, movies, TV and whatever is happening now. @kombieofficial
Shopping Quizzes, Jennie Wong, CEO
Shopping Quizzes are custom, interactive product-finders that retailers install on their ecommerce sites, which gives their shoppers a fun, visual way to quickly find what they want to buy. Our quizzes lift conversion rates using cognitive science. @shoppingquizzes
Vytmn, Hank Leber, CEO
Vytmn is Growth as a Service. Hands free ‘Do it for you’ marketing for businesses and brands. @vytmn
Flypbox Inc., Robert Rippberger, CEO
Websites, apps, and point of sale for retail shops. The only fully integrated platform of its kind. @flypbox
Portent.IO, Hamish Brocklebank, CEO
Portent.IO is a data science platform that helps Producers, Distributors & Studios, improve the efficacy of their marketing for theatrical and digital release as well as increase monetisation of their back catalogues. @portentio
toot, Sophia Parsa, CEO
Mobile app that connects you to tutors coaches and instructors in your area. A skill sharing community. @tootapp
DermCheck App, Ben Behnam MD, Co-Founder, Medical Director
DermCheck App is a Telemedicine App that allows consumers to conduct a virtual office visit with a Dermatologist from the convenience of their home. @dermcheckapp
Join our joint panel of experts on the growing medicinal marijuana startup industry. With legalization of medicinal marijuana, startups are growing in the cannabis space. Plus, new investors are cropping up. We’ll discuss startups in the discovery, delivery, and distribution of medicinal marijuana, and related startups in merchandising, fashion, lifestyle, reviews, and more.
- Walter Grieves, ROC, Think Tank Cannabis Consulting Group, Propagate.LA
- Olivia Alexander, Crystal Cult, CEO/Founder
- Walter Grieves, ROC, Think Tank Cannabis Consulting Group, Propagate.LA. Walter manages a portfolio of cannabis investments/Companies, and is co-founder of ROC (Real Office Centers a Cannabis Friendly Building) in Santa Monica. He Co-Founded the Think Tank Cannabis Consulting Group (www.cannabisconsultinggroup.org) with professors from USC and UCLA. Walter servers as President of Alta Diversified a Cannabis Business Management Company and is launching a Cannabis Business Accelerator Program/Fund in May called Propagate.la and Propagate Capital at ROC. @ROC_USA
- Olivia Alexander, Crystal Cult, CEO/Founder. With over 100K Instagram followers,The Crystal Cult has established itself as an all-inclusive girls club for fun and fabulous sunglasses, vaporizers, and luxury cannabis accessories. As seen on Cosmopolitian.com, LIVE! With Michael and Kelley, The New York Times, Jezebel, and MTV.com. @thecrystalcult
Meet Silicon Beach startups in part two of this pitch fest where new and up-and-coming startups will pitch for 3 minutes with 3 min of judges Q&A. Judges will pick 6 startups to advance to the final round on June 26, 5p at Marina del Rey Hotel.
Showcase Producer: Andreas Seckler
- John Dao, DIRECTV, Director of Digital Ideation
- Jeremy Dann, USC Marshall, Greif Center for Entrepreneurial Studies, Professor of Entrepreneurship
- Hamet Watt, Upfront Ventures, Venture Partner
- Derek Au, Orange Silicon Valley, Technology Analyst
Last year’s Startup Showcase winner AIO Robotics took home the grand prize.
STEMP Inc., Barnabas Gero, Chief Business Officer
STEMP creates personal health monitoring products for consumer as well as institutional applications, the first being the STEMP Smart Temperature Patch™, the thermometer reinvented for the 21st century. @getstemp
Kersplody, Tim Gruhl, CEO
Kersplody is creating the interface to decouple algorithms/analytics and the underlying infrastructure. This will change the business model for how algorithms are developed and also for significant reuse of them, which is currently impossible. @kersplody
NVdrones, Kevin Mukai, COO
NVdrones is a platform that lets companies create an application for any drone. @nvdrones
CureCrowd, Dr. Charles Rocamboli, CEO
CureCrowd is a web-based pubic resource tool designed to objectively compare traditional and alternative medicine. This is done by aggregating surveys supplied by our user base, and presenting them to the public as easy-to-read graphs. @curecrowd
DelightWipes, Summers McKay, CEO & Founder
The DelightWipes #MakeLoveMore App is a love-changing, sex life enhancing, tool with data tracking, intimacy tips, personal journal, mood monitor, food list, and even better – integration with your sleep trackers and fitness wearables! @delightwipes
Serenify, Garrett Gilbertson, Co-Founder, CEO
Website that allows users to verify their identities and verify key pieces of information that we communicate where ever our members need to establish trust online. @helloserenify
2Truths and a Lie, Tyler Adams, Co-Founder.
2Truths is an app that helps strangers start a conversation. @2TruthsApp
Holyvent, Julien Jorda, CEO
Holyvent is a platform that lets users share live, geotagged, multi-angle videos of events @holyventcompany
ScriptBook, Nadira Azermai, Founder
ScriptBook provides film studios & production companies, film investors & distributors with script-based box office predictions prior to investment, production & sunk costs. @scriptbook_io
Tesloop, Haydn, Founder
Tesloop is building the first Sustainable Transportation Network. Initially focused regional travel, it is based on semi-autonomous electric cars. @tesloop
VR has been huge this year, with VFX artists, storytellers, filmmakers, game makers, writers, developers and more doing VR. This panel will give an overview of VR, how VR can be used for new storytelling, social VR, access to VR via Oculus, Samsung Gear VR, cardboard, and what are resources for VR in LA and nationally.
Moderator: Savannah Peterson, Speck Design, Director of Innovation Strategy
- A.J. Campbell, RocketSail, Founder
- Morris May, Specular Theory, CEO and Founder
- Jarrell Pair, DIRECTV, Digital Ideation, Senior Manager
- Alex Rosenfeld, Vrideo, Founder and CEO @arosenfee
- Jonathan Hawkins, White Elk Studios, Founder and President @jonathanhawkins
- Ben Miller, WEVR, Director of Content Development @NourseMiller
- A.J. Campbell, RocketSail, Founder. AJ was inspired to create 3D audio for 360-degree VR experiences. @texasgreentea
- Morris May, Specular Theory, CEO and Founder. Specular Theory is a VR content creation studio and technology lab based in Venice Beach, CA. His VR film, “Perspective; Chapter 1: The Party” recently premiered at Sundance and was one of the most talked about virtual reality experiences of the festival. Morris has been a Hollywood visual effects expert for more than 25 years, working on 30+ films including two Academy Award winners: Spiderman II and Happy Feet. @speculartheory
Silicon Beach CTOs from top companies will discuss how they find developers, build their team, work with other teams in their organization, and scale for growth from startup to next stages.
Moderator: Casey Frith-Smith, FOX Network Engineering & Operations, VP Video Solutions
- Lukas Sliwka, Grindr, CTO
- Sunil Bhanot, Demand Media, VP of Software Engineering
- Ethan Kravitz, Curbstand, CTO @CurbStand
- John Coogan, Soylent, CTO / Co-Founder
Developer Track presented by:
Visual Effects startups and VFX companies are working on top Hollywood movies and films, including Oscar-winner Interstellar and other films. Join this panel where VFX experts will discuss working on top movies.
- Shannon Gans, New Deal Studios, CEO, Co-Founder. Shannon co-founded New Deal Studios, which did the VFX work on Interstellar, which recently won an Oscar in this year’s Academy Awards. She has worked on visual effects for over 150 of the biggest films, commercials, web content, virtual reality for theme parks, cinematic virtual reality shorts and live sporting events. @shannongans
- Steve Goldberg, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Visual Effects Supervisor. Steve did visual effects supervision on the animated blockbuster Frozen. He also worked on Tangled, Lion King, and Pocahontas.
3D printing startups are becoming LA’s next major startup boom. It’s only logical that LA is a mecca for 3D printing as it’s home to the aerospace, automotive, video games, visual effects, industrial design, and defense Industries. Join this panel featuring industry leaders about where 3D is going and how Southern California has played a role in their success.
Moderator: Leslie Oliver Karpas, Metamason, CEO
- Mark Mathews, Airwolf 3D, President
- Jens Windau, AIO Robotics, CEO
- Brian Arandez, Thingify, CEO
- Jonathan Schwartz, HexLab Makerspace, COO
- Sean Stevens, New Matter, Director of Product
- Igor Knevic, Feature Film Concept & Special Effects Designer, Founder – Alienology, Designer – Metamason
Mark Mathews, President – Airwolf 3D
Mr. Mathews is President of Airwolf 3D, a designer, manufacturer, and distributor of desktop 3D printers, supplies and technology to the 3D printing and additive manufacturing markets. Previously, Mr. Mathews served at Toshiba as the President and CEO of Toshiba America Business Solutions, Inc. Additionally he served as President, COO, as well as a number of other senior positions.
Jens Windau, CEO – AIO Robotics
Jens Windau is one of the co-founders of the next generation 3D printer company AIO Robotics. He and his co-founders built the world’s first All-in-One 3D Printer/Scanner ZEUS. Jens holds graduate degrees in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science and Technology Management and has worked as an engineer at BMW and as a management consultant for many tech startups. A USC Viterbi alum, AIO Robotics won the Silicon Beach Fest – Startup Showcase in 2014.
Brian Arandez, CEO – Thingify
Thingify is a 3D printing service bureau which also offers design, modeling and concepting services. Brian founded Thingify in 2012 in Irvine. His background is in CS and IT, having worked for Mizuho Securities and NTT Data Corporation.
Jonathan Schwartz, COO – HexLab Makerspace
Jonathan Schwartz is a native born son of Southern California and COO of HexLab Makerspace. He graduated with a business degree from The A.J.U. in 2013.
Sean Stevens, Director of Product – New Matter
New Matter’s mission is to bring 3D printing to every home, school, and office with its flagship products, the MOD-t and New Matter Store. Sean is leading the development of the Store, which will integrate tightly with the printer to provide a seamless 3D printing experience. He previously worked as an engineer for various LA startups, and was co-founder and CTO of Periodical, which was part of LaunchpadLA’s Class 5.
Igor Knevic, Feature Film Concept & Special Effects Designer, Founder – Alienology, Designer – Metamason
Igor is a prolific 3D designer in the film and special effects industry, having created props and environments for Tomorrowland, Jupiter Ascending, Oblivion, X-Men First Class, and many others. He also is the principle designer of the 3D printed jewelry firm Alienology, as well as one of the design leads at Metamason, a scan-to-fit medical device startup here in LA.
Moderated by Leslie Oliver Karpas, CEO – Metamason
Metamason is a medical device startup developing on-demand custom CPAP masks via 3D scanning and a patent pending method for 3D printing silicone. Les’ background includes over 10 years of experience in holography, industrial design, architecture, and robotics. Most notably he spent years designing custom CNC robots and tooling to create art work for famous artists such as Anish Kapoor and Jeff Koons.
Growth hacking experts will share tips and techniques in Growth Hacking, where developers create quick code and scripts to capture marketing data from social media and other open sites, to help them target potential customers, generate sales leads, increase product awareness, and build customer and client databases. These techniques are useful for startups, sales, growth and more. Growth hacking is a unique combination of skill sets of developers and marketers; we’ll discuss how they can work together for successful growth hacking results.
Moderator: Javon Frazier, Maestro Media Ventures, Principal. Formerly Marvel Entertainment, VP Games Marketing @JavonFrazier
- Justin Wu, Vytmn, Co-Founder / Growth Engineer
- Peter Chen, Vytmn, CTO
- Marieme Haynes, JKH Naturals, Managing Director, previously at Microsoft
Join this panel with leaders in the tech scene from San Diego and Santa Barbara, who’ll provide a brief overview of what’s happening in tech to our neighbors to the south and north of Silicon Beach. Speakers will provide a brief overview of the major investors (accelerators, VCs, angels), types of startups (biotech, ad tech, consumer, media, etc.), access to developers and marketing / branding talent to help grow your startup, and local resources for funding, events, and more.
- Neal Bloom (San Diego), SD Tech Spotlight, Founder; Neal Bloom Consulting
- Jacques Habra (Santa Barbara), Self Echo, Thought Leader; Executive Director, Noospheric
- Zahir Wahid (Long Beach), Sidian Agency, Co-Owner; Code for Long Beach. Etoy Foundation, TAFF Expo
This panel will examine how the latest in mobile technology is revolutionizing various industries. Topics will include beacons, ACR (Audio Content Recognition), geofencing, augmented reality, and the way they are being applied to solve real business needs.
Moderator: Lori Schwartz, StoryTech, Founder @worldofschwartz
- Allen Vartazarian, Instantly, VP of Product
- Nick Desai, Heal, Co–Founder/CEO
- Laurent Grill, Zeel, LA General Manager @laurentgrill
- Heena Rastogi, eHarmony, Senior iOS Developer
Developer Track presented by:
Moderator: Ted Werth, Tengrade, CEO; startup advisor @tejawe
- Jeff Lapin, Tech Coast Angels, President of LA Network
- Brad Zions, Harvard Business School Angels; Partner at Structure Partners
- Kris Bjornerud, Crosscut Ventures, Venture Partner; Amplify LA, Executive Director
- Dan Chen, Siemer & Associates, Managing Director
- Shamin Rostami, TYLT Lab, Partner
- Jeff Lapin, Tech Coast Angels, President of LA Network. Members of the Tech Coast Angels fund early stage Southern California technology companies. The membership consists of approximately 300 individuals from 5 independent regional networks (Central Coast, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego, Inland Empire).
- Brad Zions, Harvard Business School Angels; Partner at Structure Partners. Brad Zions is a Los Angeles-based investor and entrepreneur. Zions has deep domain expertise in digital media and the restaurant, apparel and entertainment industries. Zions has been an active angel investor for the past 16 years, both individually and as a member of HBS Angels. Recent investments include Jukin Media, Moviepass, bBooth, Parachute, TrustEgg and Venga. Previous exits include QXL (now Tradus, which was acquired by Naspers in 2008) and Google via Ron Conway’s Angel funds I and II.
- Evan Eneman, Wharton Angel Network of SoCal, President; Co-founder of WAN SoCal
Experts in product development for software to Internet of Things will discuss strategies and tools for product development including systems for decreased product cycle time, user input and feedback for improvements and updates, lean development, new product features, rollout strategies, software tools to help with product management, and more.
Moderator: Cauri Jaye, rhubarb studios, CEO
- Mark Thomas, Google, Product Manager
- Chris Chandler, Fandango, Senior Director Product and UX
- Mary Baldwin, Pivotal Labs, Product Management
- Brian Kuhn, Media Temple, VP of Product
- Ben Handzo, NationBuilder, Head of Product
Developer Track presented by:
Developers sound off on what they wish Business Dev, Product Managers, CTOs, CEOs, and their clients knew or understood, to help increase business efficiency.
Moderator: Espree Devora, WeAreLATech, Founder
- Kevin Goslar, Originate, Director of Engineering
- Gregorio Rojas, Sabio,LA, Co-Founder
- Brady Tsurutani, DIRECTV, Senior Director of Mobile Software Engineering
- Christian Harden, NFL Digital Media, Application Development Manager
- Matthew Montanez, LIVESTRONG.COM, iOS Engineer @MattMontanez
- Suzzee Uy, Bridg, Senior Software Engineer
Developer Track presented by:
We’ve all been awed with the highly believable digital humans appearing in movies, games and online. As capture technologies, software and rendering advances continue, the ability to create digital doubles will become commonplace. As we live more online and in virtual reality, no doubt, we will want our digital doubles ready for Social VR. We’ll share a rapid fire survey of virtual human technologies and take a look at near future development for interactive virtual humans.
Moderator: Diane Piepol, Project Director & US Representative The Digital Doubles Agency
- Kay Arutyunyan, CounterPunch Studios, VP of Production
- Jacquelyn Ford Morie PhD, All These Worlds, Founder & Chief Scientist
- Graham Fyffe, USC Institute for Creative Technologies (ICT), Computer Scientist
- Dan Platt, Facial & Character Modeling Supervisor (Virtual Tupac)
Startup Showcase finalists will pitch for 5 min followed by 5 min Q&A. Judges will pick a final to win the Silicon Beach Fest 2015 title and prize package.
- Bob Vanech, Zealot Networks, COO
- Fran Seegull, USC, ImpactAssets, Chief Investment Officer @franseegull
- David Carter, Zuma Ventures, CEO, Co-Founder