Get the Silicon Beach Fest schedule grid here.
Join our joint panel of experts on the growing medicinal marijuana startup industry. With legalization of medicinal marijuana, startups are growing in the cannabis space. Plus, new investors are cropping up. We’ll discuss startups in the discovery, delivery, and distribution of medicinal marijuana, and related startups in merchandising, fashion, lifestyle, reviews, and more.
- Walter Grieves, ROC, Think Tank Cannabis Consulting Group, Propagate.LA
- Olivia Alexander, Crystal Cult, CEO/Founder
- Walter Grieves, ROC, Think Tank Cannabis Consulting Group, Propagate.LA. Walter manages a portfolio of cannabis investments/Companies, and is co-founder of ROC (Real Office Centers a Cannabis Friendly Building) in Santa Monica. He Co-Founded the Think Tank Cannabis Consulting Group (www.cannabisconsultinggroup.org) with professors from USC and UCLA. Walter servers as President of Alta Diversified a Cannabis Business Management Company and is launching a Cannabis Business Accelerator Program/Fund in May called Propagate.la and Propagate Capital at ROC. @ROC_USA
- Olivia Alexander, Crystal Cult, CEO/Founder. With over 100K Instagram followers,The Crystal Cult has established itself as an all-inclusive girls club for fun and fabulous sunglasses, vaporizers, and luxury cannabis accessories. As seen on Cosmopolitian.com, LIVE! With Michael and Kelley, The New York Times, Jezebel, and MTV.com. @thecrystalcult
Sean serves as Chief Executive Officer and a member of the board of directors of Demand Media. Sean was previously the CEO of Saatchi Art, which Demand Media acquired in August 2014, and the President and CEO of Ticketmaster, where he also served on the board of directors. Sean held positions of increasing responsibility during his tenure at Ticketmaster, including EVP, Technology and Chief Operating Officer. Sean has also served as an Entrepreneur in Residence at Mayfield Fund and he began his executive experience as EVP, Technology at Citysearch.
Sean sits on several private company boards of directors, including Eventbrite and TuneIn. Sean is also actively involved in non-profit work with CoachArt and the Pat Tillman Foundation.
Sean received his bachelor’s degree from the University of South Carolina and attended graduate school at Boston University and the University of South Carolina.
Will Keenan was named President of Endemol Beyond USA, the digital division of Endemol Shine North America, in November 2013.
Keenan oversees Endemol Beyond USA’s Premium Content Network (PCN), a leading provider of premium content available across more than 20 platforms including YouTube, Yahoo, AOL, Roku, TiVo, DailyMotion and Amazon Fire TV. Within its first year, Endemol Beyond USA established itself as the most-nominated digital network at the 2014 Streamy Awards and also won eight 2015 AVA Digital Awards.
Keenan recently oversaw the launch of ICON, the first worldwide premium lifestyle network. ICON, which is led creatively by digital pioneer and entrepreneur Michelle Phan, launched simultaneously in the U.S. and UK in March 2015. ICON is the new global destination for the empowerment of viewers through inspiration, premium lifestyle content and conversation.
Since joining Endemol Beyond USA, Keenan and his team have partnered with superstars such as Pitbull and Michelle Phan, Vine queen Brittany Furlan, YouTube’s musical prince MattyB, celebrity comedian Andy Milonakis and Emmy Award-winner Drea de Matteo, among others., Keenan has also overseen the online launch of numerous vertical networks and original show formats in comedy, music, originals, reality and lifestyle genres.
Keenan’s executive career in digital began in September 2011 at Maker Studios, where he served as Vice President, Vertical Development & Network Programming. When Keenan began at Maker Studios, the now Disney-owned MCN had 300 channels with more than 300 million monthly views and when he left for Endemol Beyond, Maker had scaled to more than 50,000 channels with five billion monthly views.
During his Maker Studios tenure, Keenan signed, launched and/or partnered with some of YouTube’s top channels such as BadLipReading and he also led Maker to become the first multi-channel network to partner with traditional celebrities including Kevin Smith, Adrian Grenier, Margaret Cho and “Guardians of the Galaxy” writer/director James Gunn. Keenan developed, launched, provided vertical optimization and original content programming development for four Maker Studios vertical network genres (beauty, moms, news and animation), and established Maker’s social presence by leading the company’s initial network-wide social strategy.
Prior to Keenan’s executive roles at Endemol Beyond USA and Maker, he is credited for leading roles in Love God, the first digital feature transferred to 35mm, as well as sci-fi musical The Ghastly Love of Johnny X, the last feature to be filmed on Kodak’s 35mm black-and-white Plus-X film stock. Keenan has been involved with more than 45 independent film productions, both in-front of and behind-the-camera. He’s served as the star, producer, director, writer, financier and stuntman across his independent film career.
Keenan currently resides in Los Angeles with his wife, Getty Images Senior Contributing Photographer Stefanie Keenan, along with their five rescued cats.
Join this panel with leaders in the tech scene from San Diego and Santa Barbara, who’ll provide a brief overview of what’s happening in tech to our neighbors to the south and north of Silicon Beach. Speakers will provide a brief overview of the major investors (accelerators, VCs, angels), types of startups (biotech, ad tech, consumer, media, etc.), access to developers and marketing / branding talent to help grow your startup, and local resources for funding, events, and more.
- Neal Bloom (San Diego), SD Tech Spotlight, Founder; Neal Bloom Consulting
- Jacques Habra (Santa Barbara), Self Echo, Thought Leader; Executive Director, Noospheric
- Zahir Wahid (Long Beach), Sidian Agency, Co-Owner; Code for Long Beach. Etoy Foundation, TAFF Expo
Moderator: Ted Werth, Tengrade, CEO; startup advisor @tejawe
- Jeff Lapin, Tech Coast Angels, President of LA Network
- Brad Zions, Harvard Business School Angels; Partner at Structure Partners
- Kris Bjornerud, Crosscut Ventures, Venture Partner; Amplify LA, Executive Director
- Dan Chen, Siemer & Associates, Managing Director
- Shamin Rostami, TYLT Lab, Partner
- Jeff Lapin, Tech Coast Angels, President of LA Network. Members of the Tech Coast Angels fund early stage Southern California technology companies. The membership consists of approximately 300 individuals from 5 independent regional networks (Central Coast, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego, Inland Empire).
- Brad Zions, Harvard Business School Angels; Partner at Structure Partners. Brad Zions is a Los Angeles-based investor and entrepreneur. Zions has deep domain expertise in digital media and the restaurant, apparel and entertainment industries. Zions has been an active angel investor for the past 16 years, both individually and as a member of HBS Angels. Recent investments include Jukin Media, Moviepass, bBooth, Parachute, TrustEgg and Venga. Previous exits include QXL (now Tradus, which was acquired by Naspers in 2008) and Google via Ron Conway’s Angel funds I and II.
- Evan Eneman, Wharton Angel Network of SoCal, President; Co-founder of WAN SoCal