Get the Silicon Beach Fest schedule grid here.
Mobile marketing is on the fast track to overtake desktop and become our single most used device and digital marketing/ad budgets prove it. We surf the web, communicate, email, utilize apps hourly, but how is a marketer to navigate this channel with all its entrée points – both online and offline? Display advertising leaves much to be desired. What alternative creative uses are marketers employing in this new landscape? How is mobile marketing impacting content development and cross-channel campaigns? How is big data informing mobile marketing and where does location-based fit in? We’ll explore all these topics and more.
Moderator: Erik Sass, MediaPost, Reporter
- Marc Mitchell, Lootsie, CEO
- Michael Hayes, UberMedia, CRO/CMO @UberMedia
- Adam Brenner, sparks & honey, Director of Product and Emerging Platforms
- Komnieve Singh, CallFire, Co-Founder and President
Expert panelists will discuss how audience consumption has changed the digital landscape. They will present a new business model addressing ways in which advertisers, technology companies, and service providers can work together to bridge the gap between traditional media platforms and emerging digital platforms. They will also explore new advertising and other revenue streams arising from the new media company eco-system, and propose ways participants can incorporate them into today’s work environment.
Moderator: Ron Camhi, Michelman & Robinson, LLP, Partner
- Vic Sapphire, Michelman & Robinson, LLP, Partner
- Ryan Hong, Michelman & Robinson, LLP, Partner
- Amy Leavitt, Briabe Mobile, Marketing Director
- Josh Entman, Jukin Media, Co-Founder and Chief Development Officer @JoshEntman
Mobile payments experts and entrepreneurs will explore the latest developments in mobile payments and what we can all expect next in the ever changing world of money and digital money. How does Apple Pay change the mobile payments landscape? What will the consumer and merchant adoption curve look like? What’s next for Samsung Pay, Android Pay and others? What are the latest trends in digitizing not only the payment, but discounts, offers, receipts and electronic billing? What are some of the challenges in deploying new payments technologies and reaching the desired consumer and merchant adoption levels?
Moderator: Vincent Hruska, City National Bank, SVP
- Steve Landry, GlobeOne, COO
- Ben Katz, CARD.com, Founder and CEO
- Colleen Poynton, Core Innovation Capital
- Shai Stern, CheckAlt, CEO
- Matthew Goldman, Wallaby, CEO
A panel of seasoned podcasters discuss how newbies can skyrocket a new podcast.
Moderator: Espree Devora, WeAreLATech.com + #womenintech Podcasts, ‘Podcasting for Beginners’ Instructor at General Assembly
- Ryan Williams, The Influencer Economy podcast @ryanjwill
- Harry Duran, Podcast Junkies podcast; founder of FullCast.co @podcast_junkies
- Graham Elwood, Comedy Film Nerds podcast and Earbuds: The Documentary @grahamelwood
- Addy Saucedo, Do I.T. podcast and sound engineer @addymvr
Espree Devora is known as “the Girl who Gets it Done”. She is Comms VP and Podcast host at WeAreLATech , a virtual tourist office for LA Startups, in addition to being a contributing journalist for TechZulu. The podcast was #2 across all of iTunes New & Noteworthy and is currently featured on Apple’s ‘Inspiring Women’s Voices’. On her blog SaveBusinessTime.com, she curates and reviews the best business software for startups to be more productive. She has provided seminars in entrepreneurship and technology to many corporations and universities including CBS, Disney and USC Executive MBA. Connect with Espree on Twitter @espreedevora or LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/espree.
Harry is the Host of Podcast Junkies and Founder of FullCast, a full-service done-for-you podcast production service.
As a longtime fan of podcasts, Harry was inspired by a trip to the New Media Expo conference in early 2014 to start his own show. Podcast Junkies is a product of his passion for the podcasting medium, and the interesting personalities who currently host some of the more popular and engaging shows on iTunes. It’s a behind-the-scenes peek at these personalities and allows the audience a way to get to know them better.
To listen to the show, visit http://www.podcastjunkies.com
For more information about FullCast, visit http://fullcast.co
Addy Saucedo is the creator and talk host of the DO I.T. Podcast, focused on intentional personal development aka transformation. This show is for those who are brave enough to put their best efforts forward to becoming a better version of themselves. The show hit #1 on iTunes New & Noteworthy for the ‘Health’ and ‘Society & Culture’ categories and #3 across ALL podcast categories in iTunes. Addy was recently featured on the Women In Podcasting panel for TechZulu. She contributes her passion for podcasting by helping podcasters come together via her directory, Podcasters Unite!
Ryan Williams helps companies large and small launch their ideas to the world. As a marketing executive he has developed go-to-market brand strategies for companies such as Disney, Microsoft, Activision and Warner Bros. In the startup world, he’s been an early team member at DigiSynd(Disney), Machinima, and State. Ryan’s professional experience includes 12 years in marketing, business development, and entertainment. He also hosts Stories From the Influencer Economy, a podcast where he speaks to creators and entrepreneurs launching the next big things in media. The podcast was featured in Apple’s “new & noteworthy” in iTunes. He’s a former stand-up comedian who received his B.A. from Vanderbilt University.
Graham Elwood is the co-founder of ComedyFilmNerds.com and LA Podcast Festival. Also co-host of Comedy Film Nerds podcast. Director of Ear Buds: The Podcasting Documentary, set to release this fall. Touring stand-up comic. Surfer, yoga, vegetarian and any other California cliches.
From Super Bowl campaigns to retail, brands and agencies are facing the growing need to integrate digital into their strategy, creative, and production processes. The panel will feature agency and brand leaders that deal with this challenge on a daily basis and provide insight into their experiences and learnings, and their thoughts on the future of digital integration.
Moderator: Josh Crick, Leo Burnett, SVP, Managing Director of Digital Integration
- Josh Crick, Leo Burnett, Managing Director, Digital Integration
- Victor Nguyen Long, Audi, GM, Customer Experience @VNL
- Carolyn Coyne, Facebook, Creative Strategist, Facebook Creative Shop
- Kingsley Taylor, MRY West, Managing Director
- Derek van den Bosch, Red Interactive, VP of Operations and Delivery
Sean serves as Chief Executive Officer and a member of the board of directors of Demand Media. Sean was previously the CEO of Saatchi Art, which Demand Media acquired in August 2014, and the President and CEO of Ticketmaster, where he also served on the board of directors. Sean held positions of increasing responsibility during his tenure at Ticketmaster, including EVP, Technology and Chief Operating Officer. Sean has also served as an Entrepreneur in Residence at Mayfield Fund and he began his executive experience as EVP, Technology at Citysearch.
Sean sits on several private company boards of directors, including Eventbrite and TuneIn. Sean is also actively involved in non-profit work with CoachArt and the Pat Tillman Foundation.
Sean received his bachelor’s degree from the University of South Carolina and attended graduate school at Boston University and the University of South Carolina.
VR has been huge this year, with VFX artists, storytellers, filmmakers, game makers, writers, developers and more doing VR. This panel will give an overview of VR, how VR can be used for new storytelling, social VR, access to VR via Oculus, Samsung Gear VR, cardboard, and what are resources for VR in LA and nationally.
Moderator: Savannah Peterson, Speck Design, Director of Innovation Strategy
- A.J. Campbell, RocketSail, Founder
- Morris May, Specular Theory, CEO and Founder
- Jarrell Pair, DIRECTV, Digital Ideation, Senior Manager
- Alex Rosenfeld, Vrideo, Founder and CEO @arosenfee
- Jonathan Hawkins, White Elk Studios, Founder and President @jonathanhawkins
- Ben Miller, WEVR, Director of Content Development @NourseMiller
- A.J. Campbell, RocketSail, Founder. AJ was inspired to create 3D audio for 360-degree VR experiences. @texasgreentea
- Morris May, Specular Theory, CEO and Founder. Specular Theory is a VR content creation studio and technology lab based in Venice Beach, CA. His VR film, “Perspective; Chapter 1: The Party” recently premiered at Sundance and was one of the most talked about virtual reality experiences of the festival. Morris has been a Hollywood visual effects expert for more than 25 years, working on 30+ films including two Academy Award winners: Spiderman II and Happy Feet. @speculartheory
Visual Effects startups and VFX companies are working on top Hollywood movies and films, including Oscar-winner Interstellar and other films. Join this panel where VFX experts will discuss working on top movies.
- Shannon Gans, New Deal Studios, CEO, Co-Founder. Shannon co-founded New Deal Studios, which did the VFX work on Interstellar, which recently won an Oscar in this year’s Academy Awards. She has worked on visual effects for over 150 of the biggest films, commercials, web content, virtual reality for theme parks, cinematic virtual reality shorts and live sporting events. @shannongans
- Steve Goldberg, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Visual Effects Supervisor. Steve did visual effects supervision on the animated blockbuster Frozen. He also worked on Tangled, Lion King, and Pocahontas.
Experts who’ve all sold or worked on digital content deals will discuss their decision process from valuation, to finding an acquiring company, to deal terms, and what you do next. Cuz you can’t go back to a day job.
- Neil Goldberg,AppOne, Founder; Angel Investor. Sold SayNow to Google in 2011
- Alex Fragen, UTA, Head of Global Content at UTA. Part of the team selling Summit to Lionsgate
- David Spitzer, Upper Diamond, CEO. A Branded Content Marketing Company. Was Head of Production at Ninth House – acquired by Korn Ferry for $90M
3D printing startups are becoming LA’s next major startup boom. It’s only logical that LA is a mecca for 3D printing as it’s home to the aerospace, automotive, video games, visual effects, industrial design, and defense Industries. Join this panel featuring industry leaders about where 3D is going and how Southern California has played a role in their success.
Moderator: Leslie Oliver Karpas, Metamason, CEO
- Mark Mathews, Airwolf 3D, President
- Jens Windau, AIO Robotics, CEO
- Brian Arandez, Thingify, CEO
- Jonathan Schwartz, HexLab Makerspace, COO
- Sean Stevens, New Matter, Director of Product
- Igor Knevic, Feature Film Concept & Special Effects Designer, Founder – Alienology, Designer – Metamason
Mark Mathews, President – Airwolf 3D
Mr. Mathews is President of Airwolf 3D, a designer, manufacturer, and distributor of desktop 3D printers, supplies and technology to the 3D printing and additive manufacturing markets. Previously, Mr. Mathews served at Toshiba as the President and CEO of Toshiba America Business Solutions, Inc. Additionally he served as President, COO, as well as a number of other senior positions.
Jens Windau, CEO – AIO Robotics
Jens Windau is one of the co-founders of the next generation 3D printer company AIO Robotics. He and his co-founders built the world’s first All-in-One 3D Printer/Scanner ZEUS. Jens holds graduate degrees in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science and Technology Management and has worked as an engineer at BMW and as a management consultant for many tech startups. A USC Viterbi alum, AIO Robotics won the Silicon Beach Fest – Startup Showcase in 2014.
Brian Arandez, CEO – Thingify
Thingify is a 3D printing service bureau which also offers design, modeling and concepting services. Brian founded Thingify in 2012 in Irvine. His background is in CS and IT, having worked for Mizuho Securities and NTT Data Corporation.
Jonathan Schwartz, COO – HexLab Makerspace
Jonathan Schwartz is a native born son of Southern California and COO of HexLab Makerspace. He graduated with a business degree from The A.J.U. in 2013.
Sean Stevens, Director of Product – New Matter
New Matter’s mission is to bring 3D printing to every home, school, and office with its flagship products, the MOD-t and New Matter Store. Sean is leading the development of the Store, which will integrate tightly with the printer to provide a seamless 3D printing experience. He previously worked as an engineer for various LA startups, and was co-founder and CTO of Periodical, which was part of LaunchpadLA’s Class 5.
Igor Knevic, Feature Film Concept & Special Effects Designer, Founder – Alienology, Designer – Metamason
Igor is a prolific 3D designer in the film and special effects industry, having created props and environments for Tomorrowland, Jupiter Ascending, Oblivion, X-Men First Class, and many others. He also is the principle designer of the 3D printed jewelry firm Alienology, as well as one of the design leads at Metamason, a scan-to-fit medical device startup here in LA.
Moderated by Leslie Oliver Karpas, CEO – Metamason
Metamason is a medical device startup developing on-demand custom CPAP masks via 3D scanning and a patent pending method for 3D printing silicone. Les’ background includes over 10 years of experience in holography, industrial design, architecture, and robotics. Most notably he spent years designing custom CNC robots and tooling to create art work for famous artists such as Anish Kapoor and Jeff Koons.
Digital advertising has become more sophisticated and complex than ever, with the advent of programmatic buying, big data and an unlimited number of technology providers serving the blooming ad tech ecosystem. In this advanced marketing technology session, you’ll hear from some of the brightest minds in advertising tech about what’s hot in 2015 and what to look for from digital marketing over the next five years.
Moderator: Colette Dill Lerner, Steel and Pepper, Managing Partner
- Greg Pritchard, GumGum, SVP Business Development
- Angela Kinsella, Demand Media, Senior Dir. Programmatic Sales
- Varoujan Bedirian, Viant, VP Product Management
- Sheila Marmon, Mirror Digital, Founder and CEO
Will Keenan was named President of Endemol Beyond USA, the digital division of Endemol Shine North America, in November 2013.
Keenan oversees Endemol Beyond USA’s Premium Content Network (PCN), a leading provider of premium content available across more than 20 platforms including YouTube, Yahoo, AOL, Roku, TiVo, DailyMotion and Amazon Fire TV. Within its first year, Endemol Beyond USA established itself as the most-nominated digital network at the 2014 Streamy Awards and also won eight 2015 AVA Digital Awards.
Keenan recently oversaw the launch of ICON, the first worldwide premium lifestyle network. ICON, which is led creatively by digital pioneer and entrepreneur Michelle Phan, launched simultaneously in the U.S. and UK in March 2015. ICON is the new global destination for the empowerment of viewers through inspiration, premium lifestyle content and conversation.
Since joining Endemol Beyond USA, Keenan and his team have partnered with superstars such as Pitbull and Michelle Phan, Vine queen Brittany Furlan, YouTube’s musical prince MattyB, celebrity comedian Andy Milonakis and Emmy Award-winner Drea de Matteo, among others., Keenan has also overseen the online launch of numerous vertical networks and original show formats in comedy, music, originals, reality and lifestyle genres.
Keenan’s executive career in digital began in September 2011 at Maker Studios, where he served as Vice President, Vertical Development & Network Programming. When Keenan began at Maker Studios, the now Disney-owned MCN had 300 channels with more than 300 million monthly views and when he left for Endemol Beyond, Maker had scaled to more than 50,000 channels with five billion monthly views.
During his Maker Studios tenure, Keenan signed, launched and/or partnered with some of YouTube’s top channels such as BadLipReading and he also led Maker to become the first multi-channel network to partner with traditional celebrities including Kevin Smith, Adrian Grenier, Margaret Cho and “Guardians of the Galaxy” writer/director James Gunn. Keenan developed, launched, provided vertical optimization and original content programming development for four Maker Studios vertical network genres (beauty, moms, news and animation), and established Maker’s social presence by leading the company’s initial network-wide social strategy.
Prior to Keenan’s executive roles at Endemol Beyond USA and Maker, he is credited for leading roles in Love God, the first digital feature transferred to 35mm, as well as sci-fi musical The Ghastly Love of Johnny X, the last feature to be filmed on Kodak’s 35mm black-and-white Plus-X film stock. Keenan has been involved with more than 45 independent film productions, both in-front of and behind-the-camera. He’s served as the star, producer, director, writer, financier and stuntman across his independent film career.
Keenan currently resides in Los Angeles with his wife, Getty Images Senior Contributing Photographer Stefanie Keenan, along with their five rescued cats.
Hollywood studios, agencies and entertainment companies will discuss how they are getting involved in Silicon Beach. Movie studios and talent agencies will discuss how they are working with startups, and in some cases incubating and investing in startups. Entertainment startups will discuss how they work with studios, influencers, and more.
Moderator: Rynda Laurel, @rynda
- Avi Gandhi, William Morris Endeavor, Digital Agent
- Mandy Salzman, Techstars
- Mark Young, Fandango, VP Strategy and Business Development
- Kiel Berry, Machine Shop, Executive Vice President. Machine Shop is the VC firm for the band Linkin Park, which has made investment in Lyft, Shyp and Robinhood
- Rynda Laurel has worked with hundreds of music artists from developing acts to multi-platinum, Grammy-winning, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees. She also advises music based online platforms and is a sought-after moderator, speaker at international conferences including MIDEM, Silicon Beach Fest, SXSW, SXSW, V2V, DEW, CMW, and Digital LA.
- Avi Gandhi, William Morris Endeavor, Digital Agent. Avi works with digital native talent and other digital deals at WME. He is on Forbes 30 Under 30 List.
- Mandy Salzman, TechStars, which powers Disney Accelerator. Mandy previously worked at Sony Pictures and Fox.
- Mark Young, Fandango, VP Strategy and Business Development. At Fandango, a subsidiary of NBCUniversal, Mark oversees distribution and co-marketing of mobile services, commerce and video, handset manufacturers, connected devices, social media and digital video platforms, app stores and retailers.
- Kiel Berry is the Executive Vice President of Machine Shop, the wholly owned innovation company of the Grammy Award winning band Linkin Park, focused on fashion, design, tech, and innovative brand partnerships. Most recently, he runs Machine Shop Ventures, a venture capital fund that invests in early-to-growth stage companies with a global scope. To date, MSV has invested in Lyft, Shyp, Robinhood, and Blue Bottle Coffee. Prior to Machine Shop Ventures, Kiel worked at Creative Artists Agency in Entertainment Marketing and International Corporate Development focused on global expansion initiatives.
This panel will examine how the latest in mobile technology is revolutionizing various industries. Topics will include beacons, ACR (Audio Content Recognition), geofencing, augmented reality, and the way they are being applied to solve real business needs.
Moderator: Lori Schwartz, StoryTech, Founder @worldofschwartz
- Allen Vartazarian, Instantly, VP of Product
- Nick Desai, Heal, Co–Founder/CEO
- Laurent Grill, Zeel, LA General Manager @laurentgrill
- Heena Rastogi, eHarmony, Senior iOS Developer
Developer Track presented by:
We’ve all been awed with the highly believable digital humans appearing in movies, games and online. As capture technologies, software and rendering advances continue, the ability to create digital doubles will become commonplace. As we live more online and in virtual reality, no doubt, we will want our digital doubles ready for Social VR. We’ll share a rapid fire survey of virtual human technologies and take a look at near future development for interactive virtual humans.
Moderator: Diane Piepol, Project Director & US Representative The Digital Doubles Agency
- Kay Arutyunyan, CounterPunch Studios, VP of Production
- Jacquelyn Ford Morie PhD, All These Worlds, Founder & Chief Scientist
- Graham Fyffe, USC Institute for Creative Technologies (ICT), Computer Scientist
- Dan Platt, Facial & Character Modeling Supervisor (Virtual Tupac)