Get the Silicon Beach Fest schedule grid here.
Leading LA VCs and investors will provide an overview on the investment trends in Silicon Beach.
Moderator: Billy O’Grady, City National Bank, SVP
- Erin Shipley, Karlin Ventures, Senior Associate @erinbshipley
- Colleen Poynton, Core Innovation Capital, Vice President
- William Hsu, MuckerLab, Co-Founder and Partner
Learn how to make your online profile to be more irresistible on both dating services and work-related sites (because people check both!) at this hands-on workshop with dating expert Julie Spira, CEO of Cyber-Dating Expert and Talia Golstein, founder of Three Day Rule. Learn what photos to use, what to say in your description, and what kind of things you should be posting about to increase your dating attractability while still being professional, on services including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Match, Tinder, Grindr, and more. Bring your phone and get ready to edit your description and change your profile pic.
Glam Squad will do touch ups and a photographer will be on hand to snap your photo, to fix your profile on the spot.
- Julie Spira, Cyber-Dating Expert, CEO
- Talia Goldstein, Three Day Rule, Founder and CEO
Julie Spira is the CEO of Cyber-Dating Expert where she’s been helping singles find love online for over 20 years. She is the go-to person in the media for online dating advice and has appeared in/on over 600 news stories including ABC, CBS, CNN, FOX, NBC, Los Angeles Times, Men’s Health, Women’s Heath and New York Times. She is quoted in the June issue of Women’s Health with her online dating advice
Talia Goldstein is the CEO and Founder of Three Day Rule, a personalized Matchmaking company backed by Match.com. An expert matchmaker with hundreds of success stories, Talia has created 3 matching algorithms, and has been featured on CNN, USA Today, Time, CBS, PBS, Newsweek, Huffington Post, NPR, People, Pando Daily, Maxim, GQ, TMZ, Cosmopolitan & more. She was named to Story Exchange’s Power List of Female Entrepreneurs in 2015, and was in DigitalLA’s Top 50 Digital Women in 2015.
Join our joint panel of experts on the growing medicinal marijuana startup industry. With legalization of medicinal marijuana, startups are growing in the cannabis space. Plus, new investors are cropping up. We’ll discuss startups in the discovery, delivery, and distribution of medicinal marijuana, and related startups in merchandising, fashion, lifestyle, reviews, and more.
- Walter Grieves, ROC, Think Tank Cannabis Consulting Group, Propagate.LA
- Olivia Alexander, Crystal Cult, CEO/Founder
- Walter Grieves, ROC, Think Tank Cannabis Consulting Group, Propagate.LA. Walter manages a portfolio of cannabis investments/Companies, and is co-founder of ROC (Real Office Centers a Cannabis Friendly Building) in Santa Monica. He Co-Founded the Think Tank Cannabis Consulting Group (www.cannabisconsultinggroup.org) with professors from USC and UCLA. Walter servers as President of Alta Diversified a Cannabis Business Management Company and is launching a Cannabis Business Accelerator Program/Fund in May called Propagate.la and Propagate Capital at ROC. @ROC_USA
- Olivia Alexander, Crystal Cult, CEO/Founder. With over 100K Instagram followers,The Crystal Cult has established itself as an all-inclusive girls club for fun and fabulous sunglasses, vaporizers, and luxury cannabis accessories. As seen on Cosmopolitian.com, LIVE! With Michael and Kelley, The New York Times, Jezebel, and MTV.com. @thecrystalcult
Apps. Every business wants one, be it a game, mobile or web-based. But with more and more apps available, what role should these apps play? Should an app be for profile, for profit or should it perform an additional function and perform a use for society? A panel of award-winning UK-based mobile, web-based and games app developers debate the changing international role of app developers.
Moderator: Matthew Desmier, Founder of Silicon Beach UK, Wise Old Uncle Ltd
- Mike Hawkyard, Amuzo Games, MD and Founder
- Duncan Cook, 3 Sided Cube, MD and Founder @duncancook
- Kriss Bennett, Createful, MD and Founder
- Marc Biles, Ratio, CEO @marcthebeat
- Jon Ginn, Base, Developer Evangelist @jonginn
CEOs from LA’s biggest tech exits will describe their exit process: How they found an acquirer, due diligence, alignment of operations, corporate culture, valuation, communication to employees, and life after exiting.
Moderator: Garrett Reim, LA Business Journal, Tech Reporter
- Will Kassoy, Opera Mediaworks, CMO (CEO of Adcolony, pre-acquisition) @WillKassoy
- Matt Nutt, Glu Mobile, GM (Studio head @ Cie Games, pre-acquisition)
- Karl Rinderknecht, AOL, VP of Platforms (CEO of Gravity, pre-acquisition)
Speakers will discuss the rising tech startup scene in various international cities and countries, discussing startups, tech, and startups with international operations. Workshop also includes a Reverse Pitch, where startups who are considering international expansion will state what they do, and country representatives will provide advice on what cities they should expand to and why.
Moderator: Jeff Musson, Dynamite Network, CEO
- Deirdre Moran, US West Coast, IDA Ireland, VP High Growth Companies
- Pravin Uttarwar, Mindbowser, CTO (India)
- Gray Bright, The Tomorrow Show, Host (Australia)
- Britta Eriksson, Euro VAT Refund, CEO
Companies from Silicon Beach UK will give insights into using digital tools to build brands.
Moderator: Matthew Desmier, Founder of Silicon Beach, Wise Old Uncle Ltd
- Jamie Sergeant, Director, Crowd @JamieSergeant
- Arabella Lewis-Smith, MD and Founder, Salad @BellaLewisSmith
- Paul Sheehy, Founder, Folk @KiwiSheehy
- Daniel Ward-Murphy, Head of Insight, The Emerge Group
- Lee Noon, Head of eCommerce, LV=
Chinese investors and companies are actively investing in Silicon Beach. After Chinese-based Tencent acquired LA-based Riot Games, more Chinese investors are investing in LA area startups. Learn what these investors are looking for, how they find LA startups, investment deal structure, and more. Also, we will discuss how Silicon Beach companies that are looking to expand to China can do so via local Chinese partners, and more.
Moderator: Rebecca Fannin, Forbes Contributor; Silicon Dragon Ventures, Founder/Editor
Learn from industry experts on how to market and produce your digital content or projects internationally in this hands-on discussion and workshop.
- Bettina Sherick, Hollywood in Pixels, Founder. Formerly 20th Century Digital Marketing, SVP Digital Strategic Marketing. Bettina pioneered Digital Marketing for 20th Century Fox International (TCFI). During her 14 years with Fox, she ensured that TCFI consistently stayed at the forefront of movie studios for innovative digital marketing programs and marketing partnerships. She oversaw over 100+ international digital marketing campaigns across multiple platforms, including blockbuster new release films including THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, LIFE OF PI, the entire X-MEN franchise, both RISE and DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES, AVATAR, all films in the ICE AGE franchise, and THE SIMPSONS MOVIE, the latter of which won the Webby Award and People’s Voice Webby Award. @bettina
- John Heisen, Bunnygraph Entertainment, Founder. John and his company Bunnygraph Entertainment, work with writers, talent, and technologists to create serialized formats for television, interactive/web and mobile platforms in what he calls “Storytelling through Advanced Content”. After completing a three year run as Transmedia Producer / Showrunner for the Academy Awards (Oscar.com), John now focuses on the development of a range of TV and film projects in both the US and around the world. His short film LONE HUNTER recently premiered at the Los Angeles Asia Pacific Film Festival and was selected for the Court Metrage at the Cannes Film Festival.
Join this panel with leaders in the tech scene from San Diego and Santa Barbara, who’ll provide a brief overview of what’s happening in tech to our neighbors to the south and north of Silicon Beach. Speakers will provide a brief overview of the major investors (accelerators, VCs, angels), types of startups (biotech, ad tech, consumer, media, etc.), access to developers and marketing / branding talent to help grow your startup, and local resources for funding, events, and more.
- Neal Bloom (San Diego), SD Tech Spotlight, Founder; Neal Bloom Consulting
- Jacques Habra (Santa Barbara), Self Echo, Thought Leader; Executive Director, Noospheric
- Zahir Wahid (Long Beach), Sidian Agency, Co-Owner; Code for Long Beach. Etoy Foundation, TAFF Expo
Moderator: Ted Werth, Tengrade, CEO; startup advisor @tejawe
- Jeff Lapin, Tech Coast Angels, President of LA Network
- Brad Zions, Harvard Business School Angels; Partner at Structure Partners
- Kris Bjornerud, Crosscut Ventures, Venture Partner; Amplify LA, Executive Director
- Dan Chen, Siemer & Associates, Managing Director
- Shamin Rostami, TYLT Lab, Partner
- Jeff Lapin, Tech Coast Angels, President of LA Network. Members of the Tech Coast Angels fund early stage Southern California technology companies. The membership consists of approximately 300 individuals from 5 independent regional networks (Central Coast, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego, Inland Empire).
- Brad Zions, Harvard Business School Angels; Partner at Structure Partners. Brad Zions is a Los Angeles-based investor and entrepreneur. Zions has deep domain expertise in digital media and the restaurant, apparel and entertainment industries. Zions has been an active angel investor for the past 16 years, both individually and as a member of HBS Angels. Recent investments include Jukin Media, Moviepass, bBooth, Parachute, TrustEgg and Venga. Previous exits include QXL (now Tradus, which was acquired by Naspers in 2008) and Google via Ron Conway’s Angel funds I and II.
- Evan Eneman, Wharton Angel Network of SoCal, President; Co-founder of WAN SoCal
Creating business around the world in media, entertainment, and advertising – Execs talking about their company, their content, and their customers.
- Sharona Justman, co-Founder, The Israel Conference
Sharona Justman is the co-Founder of The Israel Conference™ bringing together investors, CEOs, and entrepreneurs from around the world.
The Israel Conference™ is a business and technology conference taking place in Los Angeles in October.
- Roniet Berci, Director of Strategy, The Israel Conference
Roniet Berci is a targeted strategist working with Israeli startups in Israel and in the US from branding and market and content development driving relevant international business relationships.
The Israel Conference™ is a business and technology conference taking place in Los Angeles in October.
- Tal Cohen-Litant, Director of Sales and Business Development, Orad Hi-Tec Systems
Tal Cohen-Litant is an Entrepreneurial Media & Marketing Executive with proven expertise in the management and development of professional teams and high-tech production solutions.
Orad Hi-Tec Systems is a world-leading provider of real-time 3D broadcast graphic, video server, and media asset management solutions, including news, channel branding, sports production and enhancement, elections and special events, virtual studios, and virtual advertisement.
- Mika Kayt, CEO & Co-Founder, Take & Make
Mika Kayt is the Co-Founder of Take & Make and previously co-founded a start-up called Farmbow – gamifying the vegetable gardening experience through providing users with vegetable garden kits and has founded the first Debate Company for Elderly in Israel.
Take & Make empowers Creativity through a service of fulfilling personal Do-It-Yourself experiences
- Uri Levanon, CEO & Co-Founder, Haste Media
Uri Levanon is an on-line video expert. Working with leading broadcasters, creators, brands and studios. Tel Aviv / Stockholm.
Haste Media is a boutique digital entertainment and media advisory firm.
- Maayan Levy, CEO & Co-Founder, Zoliro
Maayan Levy is a technology guru with prior experience creating the Israel Defense Force’s then-new Cyber Defense Unit, then a CTO of a FinTech company.
Zoliro is an app that manages the way brands interact with their audience in live events through digital gift bags that drive results.