Get the Silicon Beach Fest schedule grid here.
Leading LA VCs and investors will provide an overview on the investment trends in Silicon Beach.
Moderator: Billy O’Grady, City National Bank, SVP
- Erin Shipley, Karlin Ventures, Senior Associate @erinbshipley
- Colleen Poynton, Core Innovation Capital, Vice President
- William Hsu, MuckerLab, Co-Founder and Partner
Learn how to make your online profile to be more irresistible on both dating services and work-related sites (because people check both!) at this hands-on workshop with dating expert Julie Spira, CEO of Cyber-Dating Expert and Talia Golstein, founder of Three Day Rule. Learn what photos to use, what to say in your description, and what kind of things you should be posting about to increase your dating attractability while still being professional, on services including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Match, Tinder, Grindr, and more. Bring your phone and get ready to edit your description and change your profile pic.
Glam Squad will do touch ups and a photographer will be on hand to snap your photo, to fix your profile on the spot.
- Julie Spira, Cyber-Dating Expert, CEO
- Talia Goldstein, Three Day Rule, Founder and CEO
Julie Spira is the CEO of Cyber-Dating Expert where she’s been helping singles find love online for over 20 years. She is the go-to person in the media for online dating advice and has appeared in/on over 600 news stories including ABC, CBS, CNN, FOX, NBC, Los Angeles Times, Men’s Health, Women’s Heath and New York Times. She is quoted in the June issue of Women’s Health with her online dating advice
Talia Goldstein is the CEO and Founder of Three Day Rule, a personalized Matchmaking company backed by Match.com. An expert matchmaker with hundreds of success stories, Talia has created 3 matching algorithms, and has been featured on CNN, USA Today, Time, CBS, PBS, Newsweek, Huffington Post, NPR, People, Pando Daily, Maxim, GQ, TMZ, Cosmopolitan & more. She was named to Story Exchange’s Power List of Female Entrepreneurs in 2015, and was in DigitalLA’s Top 50 Digital Women in 2015.
CEOs from LA’s biggest tech exits will describe their exit process: How they found an acquirer, due diligence, alignment of operations, corporate culture, valuation, communication to employees, and life after exiting.
Moderator: Garrett Reim, LA Business Journal, Tech Reporter
- Will Kassoy, Opera Mediaworks, CMO (CEO of Adcolony, pre-acquisition) @WillKassoy
- Matt Nutt, Glu Mobile, GM (Studio head @ Cie Games, pre-acquisition)
- Karl Rinderknecht, AOL, VP of Platforms (CEO of Gravity, pre-acquisition)
Chinese investors and companies are actively investing in Silicon Beach. After Chinese-based Tencent acquired LA-based Riot Games, more Chinese investors are investing in LA area startups. Learn what these investors are looking for, how they find LA startups, investment deal structure, and more. Also, we will discuss how Silicon Beach companies that are looking to expand to China can do so via local Chinese partners, and more.
Moderator: Rebecca Fannin, Forbes Contributor; Silicon Dragon Ventures, Founder/Editor
Hollywood studios, agencies and entertainment companies will discuss how they are getting involved in Silicon Beach. Movie studios and talent agencies will discuss how they are working with startups, and in some cases incubating and investing in startups. Entertainment startups will discuss how they work with studios, influencers, and more.
Moderator: Rynda Laurel, @rynda
- Avi Gandhi, William Morris Endeavor, Digital Agent
- Mandy Salzman, Techstars
- Mark Young, Fandango, VP Strategy and Business Development
- Kiel Berry, Machine Shop, Executive Vice President. Machine Shop is the VC firm for the band Linkin Park, which has made investment in Lyft, Shyp and Robinhood
- Rynda Laurel has worked with hundreds of music artists from developing acts to multi-platinum, Grammy-winning, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees. She also advises music based online platforms and is a sought-after moderator, speaker at international conferences including MIDEM, Silicon Beach Fest, SXSW, SXSW, V2V, DEW, CMW, and Digital LA.
- Avi Gandhi, William Morris Endeavor, Digital Agent. Avi works with digital native talent and other digital deals at WME. He is on Forbes 30 Under 30 List.
- Mandy Salzman, TechStars, which powers Disney Accelerator. Mandy previously worked at Sony Pictures and Fox.
- Mark Young, Fandango, VP Strategy and Business Development. At Fandango, a subsidiary of NBCUniversal, Mark oversees distribution and co-marketing of mobile services, commerce and video, handset manufacturers, connected devices, social media and digital video platforms, app stores and retailers.
- Kiel Berry is the Executive Vice President of Machine Shop, the wholly owned innovation company of the Grammy Award winning band Linkin Park, focused on fashion, design, tech, and innovative brand partnerships. Most recently, he runs Machine Shop Ventures, a venture capital fund that invests in early-to-growth stage companies with a global scope. To date, MSV has invested in Lyft, Shyp, Robinhood, and Blue Bottle Coffee. Prior to Machine Shop Ventures, Kiel worked at Creative Artists Agency in Entertainment Marketing and International Corporate Development focused on global expansion initiatives.