Get the Silicon Beach Fest schedule grid here.
Leading LA VCs and investors will provide an overview on the investment trends in Silicon Beach.
Moderator: Billy O’Grady, City National Bank, SVP
- Erin Shipley, Karlin Ventures, Senior Associate @erinbshipley
- Colleen Poynton, Core Innovation Capital, Vice President
- William Hsu, MuckerLab, Co-Founder and Partner
Learn how to make your online profile to be more irresistible on both dating services and work-related sites (because people check both!) at this hands-on workshop with dating expert Julie Spira, CEO of Cyber-Dating Expert and Talia Golstein, founder of Three Day Rule. Learn what photos to use, what to say in your description, and what kind of things you should be posting about to increase your dating attractability while still being professional, on services including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Match, Tinder, Grindr, and more. Bring your phone and get ready to edit your description and change your profile pic.
Glam Squad will do touch ups and a photographer will be on hand to snap your photo, to fix your profile on the spot.
- Julie Spira, Cyber-Dating Expert, CEO
- Talia Goldstein, Three Day Rule, Founder and CEO
Julie Spira is the CEO of Cyber-Dating Expert where she’s been helping singles find love online for over 20 years. She is the go-to person in the media for online dating advice and has appeared in/on over 600 news stories including ABC, CBS, CNN, FOX, NBC, Los Angeles Times, Men’s Health, Women’s Heath and New York Times. She is quoted in the June issue of Women’s Health with her online dating advice
Talia Goldstein is the CEO and Founder of Three Day Rule, a personalized Matchmaking company backed by Match.com. An expert matchmaker with hundreds of success stories, Talia has created 3 matching algorithms, and has been featured on CNN, USA Today, Time, CBS, PBS, Newsweek, Huffington Post, NPR, People, Pando Daily, Maxim, GQ, TMZ, Cosmopolitan & more. She was named to Story Exchange’s Power List of Female Entrepreneurs in 2015, and was in DigitalLA’s Top 50 Digital Women in 2015.
CEOs from LA’s biggest tech exits will describe their exit process: How they found an acquirer, due diligence, alignment of operations, corporate culture, valuation, communication to employees, and life after exiting.
Moderator: Garrett Reim, LA Business Journal, Tech Reporter
- Will Kassoy, Opera Mediaworks, CMO (CEO of Adcolony, pre-acquisition) @WillKassoy
- Matt Nutt, Glu Mobile, GM (Studio head @ Cie Games, pre-acquisition)
- Karl Rinderknecht, AOL, VP of Platforms (CEO of Gravity, pre-acquisition)
Attend LA’s first Tech Theme Park party at the brand new 26,000 sq ft. CTRL Collective space in Playa Vista from 8p-midnight. We’re creating the first SBF Tech Theme Park, where you can meet dozens of startups at their tables on Startup Main Street, see 3D printing companies in 3D-Land, watch drones fly at the Drone Arena, visit food trucks, and get free balloons, popcorn and ice cream at the Beach Cream ice cream cart.
- Take fun costume pics in the Media Temple – Instantly photobooth, and print them instantly, or email to yourself
- Visit friends in the TeleSign table area
- Say hi to friends in the DIRECTV area
Download the TruckMe app to get an automatic $10 credit in food from four food theme-park theme trucks: Woody’s Grill, G’s Taco Spot on Wheels, Pho-King Awesome, and What The Funnel. The TruckMe app lets you place your order from your phone without having to wait in line, and get a text when your order is ready for you to pick it up.
Silicon Beach CTOs from top companies will discuss how they find developers, build their team, work with other teams in their organization, and scale for growth from startup to next stages.
Moderator: Casey Frith-Smith, FOX Network Engineering & Operations, VP Video Solutions
- Lukas Sliwka, Grindr, CTO
- Sunil Bhanot, Demand Media, VP of Software Engineering
- Ethan Kravitz, Curbstand, CTO @CurbStand
- John Coogan, Soylent, CTO / Co-Founder
Developer Track presented by:
Chinese investors and companies are actively investing in Silicon Beach. After Chinese-based Tencent acquired LA-based Riot Games, more Chinese investors are investing in LA area startups. Learn what these investors are looking for, how they find LA startups, investment deal structure, and more. Also, we will discuss how Silicon Beach companies that are looking to expand to China can do so via local Chinese partners, and more.
Moderator: Rebecca Fannin, Forbes Contributor; Silicon Dragon Ventures, Founder/Editor
Cornerstone OnDemand is bringing the food truck back to Silicon Beach Fest! The food truck was so popular last year, we’re bringing it back! Enjoy complimentary custom Silicon Beach Fest menu items when you show your SBF pass. One food item per person. Quantities limited, while supplies last.
Tweet @CornerstoneInc thanks and pics of your food!
Growth hacking experts will share tips and techniques in Growth Hacking, where developers create quick code and scripts to capture marketing data from social media and other open sites, to help them target potential customers, generate sales leads, increase product awareness, and build customer and client databases. These techniques are useful for startups, sales, growth and more. Growth hacking is a unique combination of skill sets of developers and marketers; we’ll discuss how they can work together for successful growth hacking results.
Moderator: Javon Frazier, Maestro Media Ventures, Principal. Formerly Marvel Entertainment, VP Games Marketing @JavonFrazier
- Justin Wu, Vytmn, Co-Founder / Growth Engineer
- Peter Chen, Vytmn, CTO
- Marieme Haynes, JKH Naturals, Managing Director, previously at Microsoft
Hollywood studios, agencies and entertainment companies will discuss how they are getting involved in Silicon Beach. Movie studios and talent agencies will discuss how they are working with startups, and in some cases incubating and investing in startups. Entertainment startups will discuss how they work with studios, influencers, and more.
Moderator: Rynda Laurel, @rynda
- Avi Gandhi, William Morris Endeavor, Digital Agent
- Mandy Salzman, Techstars
- Mark Young, Fandango, VP Strategy and Business Development
- Kiel Berry, Machine Shop, Executive Vice President. Machine Shop is the VC firm for the band Linkin Park, which has made investment in Lyft, Shyp and Robinhood
- Rynda Laurel has worked with hundreds of music artists from developing acts to multi-platinum, Grammy-winning, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees. She also advises music based online platforms and is a sought-after moderator, speaker at international conferences including MIDEM, Silicon Beach Fest, SXSW, SXSW, V2V, DEW, CMW, and Digital LA.
- Avi Gandhi, William Morris Endeavor, Digital Agent. Avi works with digital native talent and other digital deals at WME. He is on Forbes 30 Under 30 List.
- Mandy Salzman, TechStars, which powers Disney Accelerator. Mandy previously worked at Sony Pictures and Fox.
- Mark Young, Fandango, VP Strategy and Business Development. At Fandango, a subsidiary of NBCUniversal, Mark oversees distribution and co-marketing of mobile services, commerce and video, handset manufacturers, connected devices, social media and digital video platforms, app stores and retailers.
- Kiel Berry is the Executive Vice President of Machine Shop, the wholly owned innovation company of the Grammy Award winning band Linkin Park, focused on fashion, design, tech, and innovative brand partnerships. Most recently, he runs Machine Shop Ventures, a venture capital fund that invests in early-to-growth stage companies with a global scope. To date, MSV has invested in Lyft, Shyp, Robinhood, and Blue Bottle Coffee. Prior to Machine Shop Ventures, Kiel worked at Creative Artists Agency in Entertainment Marketing and International Corporate Development focused on global expansion initiatives.
Experts in product development for software to Internet of Things will discuss strategies and tools for product development including systems for decreased product cycle time, user input and feedback for improvements and updates, lean development, new product features, rollout strategies, software tools to help with product management, and more.
Moderator: Cauri Jaye, rhubarb studios, CEO
- Mark Thomas, Google, Product Manager
- Chris Chandler, Fandango, Senior Director Product and UX
- Mary Baldwin, Pivotal Labs, Product Management
- Brian Kuhn, Media Temple, VP of Product
- Ben Handzo, NationBuilder, Head of Product
Developer Track presented by:
Developers sound off on what they wish Business Dev, Product Managers, CTOs, CEOs, and their clients knew or understood, to help increase business efficiency.
Moderator: Espree Devora, WeAreLATech, Founder
- Kevin Goslar, Originate, Director of Engineering
- Gregorio Rojas, Sabio,LA, Co-Founder
- Brady Tsurutani, DIRECTV, Senior Director of Mobile Software Engineering
- Christian Harden, NFL Digital Media, Application Development Manager
- Matthew Montanez, LIVESTRONG.COM, iOS Engineer @MattMontanez
- Suzzee Uy, Bridg, Senior Software Engineer
Developer Track presented by:
Join us for Friday night cocktails at the new WeWork Santa Monica. Silicon Beach Fest attendees get a sneak preview of the large new co-working space before its scheduled July 1 opening date. WeWork’s Santa Monica location is WeWork’s second location in LA, after its first location in Hollywood which has hosted several Silicon Beach Fests.
Introducing WeWork Santa Monica
WeWork and Silicon Beach Fest have come together to host an amazing pre-launch party to celebrate the newest LA location, WeWork Santa Monica, opening July 1st.
Join us this Friday, June 26th, at 6:00pm for a fun evening of drinks, food, prizes, a live DJ, and a sneak peek of the new space before it opens.
Please RSVP to attend, we look forward to seeing you there!
The WeWork Team
With our new location at the Marina del Rey Hotel, we embark upon a private yacht cruise aboard the FantaSea yacht, to add a little Cannes style yacht cruising to this year’s Silicon Beach Fest. VIP passes, select speakers and sponsors are invited to this three-hour FantaSea yacht cruise on Friday June 26, 6-9p. Step aboard the yacht from 6-7p while it is at the dock, and then the boat will depart at 7p for a two-hour sailing cruise around the Marina. 130 capacity.
A wristband will be required to board the yacht. Select sponsors, select speakers, and paid VIP tickets will be given wristbands to board the yacht.
To sponsor the yacht, email email@example.com with YACHT as the subject.
Free parking at FantaSea Yacht, 4215 Admiralty Way, Marina Del Rey, CA 90292
After the yacht returns to shore at 9p, you still have time to drive or Uber / Lyft to the Closing Party at Cross Campus from 8-11p in Santa Monica.
All Silicon Beach Fest attendees are invited to our big Closing Party with a nautical theme and views of boats in the marina. Enjoy complimentary passed appetizers. Our DJ will make sure you get to do some dancing on the dance floor. VIP guests are welcome to relax in the VIP lounge. You may sit down to order dinner at Killer Shrimp on your own, or after-party with your new SBF buddies in the adjacent Killer Cafe section which is open 24 hours and has free wifi for posting all your dancing tweets and Instagrams.
Killer Shrimp is located at 4211 Admiralty Way, Marina Del Rey, CA 90292
Parking: Please park in the nearby public lot. Cost is $6 cash or credit card. Parking is not covered or validated. Do not park in the Killer Cafe lot which is reserved for dinner guests. Note: You may also take the Tesloop car shuttle in a Tesla from the Marina Del Rey Hotel.
Join us for our Silicon Beach Fest – VIP Cocktails with wine & cheese at the newly listed home at 25 S. Venice Blvd. on Saturday June 27. Relax with wine and good conversation, and touch base with friends and new contacts from the fest.
This event is open to Silicon Beach Fest VIP, speaker, and sponsors. Please bring your badge for entry.
Our venue is a newly listed $3.75M home steps from Venice Beach, with 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, Brazilian granite, and a multi-level roof deck with an impressive 360° view of the ocean, mountains, and city. The home has recently been featured in the LA Times, and First Comics News. Contact: Darren Winston, Luxury Property Speciality at John Aaroe Group, firstname.lastname@example.org
PARKING: Park on your own at $6 public parking lots a short walk away.
Join us for this panel with digital home and commercial real estate experts at a beachfront condo in North Malibu. Relax with cocktails, enjoy the balcony which overlooks the ocean, and chat at the panel. Thanks to Ethan Samuels for hosting this event.
Address is a private home at 11770 Pacific Coast Highway. Bring your SBF VIP badge for admission.
- Audie Chamberlain, Lion and Orb, Founder and CEO of full services real estate PR agency
- Ethan Samuels, Northwestern Mutual, Financial Advisor
- Sarah Kosasky, Partners Trust Real Estate Brokerage and Acquisitions – Malibu, Founding Partner, Manager
- Adrian Zaw, Zaw Studios, Executive Producer and CEO. Drone Specialist; uses drones for arial real estate photography
We just added this Disneyland meetup because so many international SBF attendees are in town, and wanted to go to Disneyland! International attendees to this year’s SBF include the 25-member delegation from our Silicon Sister city, Silicon Beach UK who spoke on 2 panels, as well as attendees who flew in from London, Scotland, Germany, Belgium, Mexico, and India. All SBF attendees invited to Disneyland for a photo opp at the Castle at 7p to catch sunset lighting. Look for Silicon Beach Fest – Festival Director @KevinWinston in the red SBF shirt (and tweet him to find him). We’ll bring SBF fans and shades for you for the pic! You can also check out the artwork of Frozen near Main St; Steve Goldberg of Disney Animation discussed the making of Frozen at our VFX of Hollywood Blockbusters panel on Friday.
This event is pay on your own, Disneyland admission is $99/day, no SBF pass discounts. Deluxe annual passports are valid today.