Get the Silicon Beach Fest schedule grid here.
LA’s e-commerce startups in fashion, flowers and more will discuss issues e-commerce startups face, including fulfillment, customer acquisition strategies, marketing and social media, and data analytics.
Moderator: Erik Huberman, Hawke Media, Founder / CEO
- Daniel Broukhim, FabFitFun, CEO
- Brock Meltzer, Society6, VP and GM
- Bryan Lalezarian, MeUndies, CEO
- David Daneshgar, BloomNation, Co-Founder
- Joe Richardson, Incase, VP of Direct Sales
- Ara Katz, Spring, Chief Marketing Officer @arakatz
Leading LA VCs and investors will provide an overview on the investment trends in Silicon Beach.
Moderator: Billy O’Grady, City National Bank, SVP
- Erin Shipley, Karlin Ventures, Senior Associate @erinbshipley
- Colleen Poynton, Core Innovation Capital, Vice President
- William Hsu, MuckerLab, Co-Founder and Partner
Learn how to make your online profile to be more irresistible on both dating services and work-related sites (because people check both!) at this hands-on workshop with dating expert Julie Spira, CEO of Cyber-Dating Expert and Talia Golstein, founder of Three Day Rule. Learn what photos to use, what to say in your description, and what kind of things you should be posting about to increase your dating attractability while still being professional, on services including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Match, Tinder, Grindr, and more. Bring your phone and get ready to edit your description and change your profile pic.
Glam Squad will do touch ups and a photographer will be on hand to snap your photo, to fix your profile on the spot.
- Julie Spira, Cyber-Dating Expert, CEO
- Talia Goldstein, Three Day Rule, Founder and CEO
Julie Spira is the CEO of Cyber-Dating Expert where she’s been helping singles find love online for over 20 years. She is the go-to person in the media for online dating advice and has appeared in/on over 600 news stories including ABC, CBS, CNN, FOX, NBC, Los Angeles Times, Men’s Health, Women’s Heath and New York Times. She is quoted in the June issue of Women’s Health with her online dating advice
Talia Goldstein is the CEO and Founder of Three Day Rule, a personalized Matchmaking company backed by Match.com. An expert matchmaker with hundreds of success stories, Talia has created 3 matching algorithms, and has been featured on CNN, USA Today, Time, CBS, PBS, Newsweek, Huffington Post, NPR, People, Pando Daily, Maxim, GQ, TMZ, Cosmopolitan & more. She was named to Story Exchange’s Power List of Female Entrepreneurs in 2015, and was in DigitalLA’s Top 50 Digital Women in 2015.
Meet Silicon Beach startups in part one of this pitch fest where new and up-and-coming startups will pitch for 3 minutes with 3 min of judges Q&A. Judges will pick 6 startups to advance to the final round on June 26, 5p at Marina del Rey Hotel.
Showcase Producer: Andreas Seckler
- Chris Hill, Siemer & Associates, Vice President
- Brian Pass, Shepphard Mullin, Partner
- Anshul Kundani, Google, Product Manager
- Yohei Nakajima, Techstars @Yohei Nakajima
Last year’s Startup Showcase winner AIO Robotics took home the grand prize.
Industry, Cody Barbo, CEO
Industry is a professional network for the service and hospitality industry, allowing users to highlight skills and talents using photos and videos, and offers businesses hiring solutions @jointheindustry
Evrybit, Eric Ortiz, Founder/CEO
Evrybit is a mobile-first live collaborative storytelling app. We empower anyone to create and monetize media on a smartphone in real time. @evrybit
RenewU, Kim Klafczynski, Founder
Uber for fitness. Personal training, yoga & pilates in as little as 3 minutes and low as $25. @renewufitness
BuzzQuest, Shaun Newsum, Founder/CEO
BuzzQuest is a mobile app which lets any social media user accept offers from brands to share their product. High Concept Pitch: Venmo/Square Cash for Influencer Marketing. We bring influencer marketing to the masses. masses. @buzzquestapp
Kombie, Stuart Berwick, Co-Founder
Kombie is a mobile video app than lets you add yourself to highlights from live music, sports, movies, TV and whatever is happening now. @kombieofficial
Shopping Quizzes, Jennie Wong, CEO
Shopping Quizzes are custom, interactive product-finders that retailers install on their ecommerce sites, which gives their shoppers a fun, visual way to quickly find what they want to buy. Our quizzes lift conversion rates using cognitive science. @shoppingquizzes
Vytmn, Hank Leber, CEO
Vytmn is Growth as a Service. Hands free ‘Do it for you’ marketing for businesses and brands. @vytmn
Flypbox Inc., Robert Rippberger, CEO
Websites, apps, and point of sale for retail shops. The only fully integrated platform of its kind. @flypbox
Portent.IO, Hamish Brocklebank, CEO
Portent.IO is a data science platform that helps Producers, Distributors & Studios, improve the efficacy of their marketing for theatrical and digital release as well as increase monetisation of their back catalogues. @portentio
toot, Sophia Parsa, CEO
Mobile app that connects you to tutors coaches and instructors in your area. A skill sharing community. @tootapp
DermCheck App, Ben Behnam MD, Co-Founder, Medical Director
DermCheck App is a Telemedicine App that allows consumers to conduct a virtual office visit with a Dermatologist from the convenience of their home. @dermcheckapp
Join our joint panel of experts on the growing medicinal marijuana startup industry. With legalization of medicinal marijuana, startups are growing in the cannabis space. Plus, new investors are cropping up. We’ll discuss startups in the discovery, delivery, and distribution of medicinal marijuana, and related startups in merchandising, fashion, lifestyle, reviews, and more.
- Walter Grieves, ROC, Think Tank Cannabis Consulting Group, Propagate.LA
- Olivia Alexander, Crystal Cult, CEO/Founder
- Walter Grieves, ROC, Think Tank Cannabis Consulting Group, Propagate.LA. Walter manages a portfolio of cannabis investments/Companies, and is co-founder of ROC (Real Office Centers a Cannabis Friendly Building) in Santa Monica. He Co-Founded the Think Tank Cannabis Consulting Group (www.cannabisconsultinggroup.org) with professors from USC and UCLA. Walter servers as President of Alta Diversified a Cannabis Business Management Company and is launching a Cannabis Business Accelerator Program/Fund in May called Propagate.la and Propagate Capital at ROC. @ROC_USA
- Olivia Alexander, Crystal Cult, CEO/Founder. With over 100K Instagram followers,The Crystal Cult has established itself as an all-inclusive girls club for fun and fabulous sunglasses, vaporizers, and luxury cannabis accessories. As seen on Cosmopolitian.com, LIVE! With Michael and Kelley, The New York Times, Jezebel, and MTV.com. @thecrystalcult
CEOs from LA’s biggest tech exits will describe their exit process: How they found an acquirer, due diligence, alignment of operations, corporate culture, valuation, communication to employees, and life after exiting.
Moderator: Garrett Reim, LA Business Journal, Tech Reporter
- Will Kassoy, Opera Mediaworks, CMO (CEO of Adcolony, pre-acquisition) @WillKassoy
- Matt Nutt, Glu Mobile, GM (Studio head @ Cie Games, pre-acquisition)
- Karl Rinderknecht, AOL, VP of Platforms (CEO of Gravity, pre-acquisition)
Meet Silicon Beach startups in part two of this pitch fest where new and up-and-coming startups will pitch for 3 minutes with 3 min of judges Q&A. Judges will pick 6 startups to advance to the final round on June 26, 5p at Marina del Rey Hotel.
Showcase Producer: Andreas Seckler
- John Dao, DIRECTV, Director of Digital Ideation
- Jeremy Dann, USC Marshall, Greif Center for Entrepreneurial Studies, Professor of Entrepreneurship
- Hamet Watt, Upfront Ventures, Venture Partner
- Derek Au, Orange Silicon Valley, Technology Analyst
Last year’s Startup Showcase winner AIO Robotics took home the grand prize.
STEMP Inc., Barnabas Gero, Chief Business Officer
STEMP creates personal health monitoring products for consumer as well as institutional applications, the first being the STEMP Smart Temperature Patch™, the thermometer reinvented for the 21st century. @getstemp
Kersplody, Tim Gruhl, CEO
Kersplody is creating the interface to decouple algorithms/analytics and the underlying infrastructure. This will change the business model for how algorithms are developed and also for significant reuse of them, which is currently impossible. @kersplody
NVdrones, Kevin Mukai, COO
NVdrones is a platform that lets companies create an application for any drone. @nvdrones
CureCrowd, Dr. Charles Rocamboli, CEO
CureCrowd is a web-based pubic resource tool designed to objectively compare traditional and alternative medicine. This is done by aggregating surveys supplied by our user base, and presenting them to the public as easy-to-read graphs. @curecrowd
DelightWipes, Summers McKay, CEO & Founder
The DelightWipes #MakeLoveMore App is a love-changing, sex life enhancing, tool with data tracking, intimacy tips, personal journal, mood monitor, food list, and even better – integration with your sleep trackers and fitness wearables! @delightwipes
Serenify, Garrett Gilbertson, Co-Founder, CEO
Website that allows users to verify their identities and verify key pieces of information that we communicate where ever our members need to establish trust online. @helloserenify
2Truths and a Lie, Tyler Adams, Co-Founder.
2Truths is an app that helps strangers start a conversation. @2TruthsApp
Holyvent, Julien Jorda, CEO
Holyvent is a platform that lets users share live, geotagged, multi-angle videos of events @holyventcompany
ScriptBook, Nadira Azermai, Founder
ScriptBook provides film studios & production companies, film investors & distributors with script-based box office predictions prior to investment, production & sunk costs. @scriptbook_io
Tesloop, Haydn, Founder
Tesloop is building the first Sustainable Transportation Network. Initially focused regional travel, it is based on semi-autonomous electric cars. @tesloop
Join this panel featuring CEOs and CTOs who will assist in answering the questions related to choosing a CTO for your new venture. Topics may include how to differentiate yourself, motivating talent to join, and keeping interest long-term.
Moderator: Bryan Lemster, Halcyon Innovation LLC, President
- John Shiple, Freelance CTO, CEO/CTO
- Alex Capecelatro, Yeti, CEO. Alex is a developer, founder and CEO of Yeti local recommendation mobile app.
- Hank Leber, Vytmn, CEO
- Jeffrey Chernick, RideAmigos, Owner
Developer Track presented by:
Silicon Beach CTOs from top companies will discuss how they find developers, build their team, work with other teams in their organization, and scale for growth from startup to next stages.
Moderator: Casey Frith-Smith, FOX Network Engineering & Operations, VP Video Solutions
- Lukas Sliwka, Grindr, CTO
- Sunil Bhanot, Demand Media, VP of Software Engineering
- Ethan Kravitz, Curbstand, CTO @CurbStand
- John Coogan, Soylent, CTO / Co-Founder
Developer Track presented by:
This session will focus on key aspects of the Internet of Things (IoT) and the overall connectivity of products and devices. With the changing nature of business and the “things” themselves, sensors, connectivity elements, and software are increasingly being embedded into the products manufacturers around the globe are designing and building. Come learn how to navigate, participate in, and engage your business with this global tech transformation. This is a must-attend for tech executives, device and product manufacturers, and software, application, and product designers, and more!
Moderator: Kimberly Hawkins, Intertek, Account Executive, Internet of Things, Smart Services
- Marcel Hill, Intertek, Global Director of Internet of Things (IoT) Services
- Matt Nelson, Intertek, Business Development Manager
Marcel Hill, Intertek, Global Director of Internet of Things (IoT) Services. As a global business Trailblazer at Intertek for services addressing the Internet of Things, Marcel Hill brings his 20+ years of experience in progressive manufacturing, operations, and technical leadership in highly regulated environments to retailers and manufacturers alike. Marcel guides a team comprised of engineering, sales, quality, logistics, EH&S, and customer service members, using First-hand knowledge and experience to aid in effective decision-making and the cultivation of sustainable partnerships. He is responsible for customer-focused wireless solutions designed to offer global brands a comprehensive scope of safety, performance, and quality testing and certification services.
Matt Nelson is a Business Development Manager for software testing and wireless testing services at Intertek. He has over 10 years’ experience in business development and validation testing, and he helps manage a number of certification programs, including JavaVerified, Microsoft Phonestore, Qualcomm TBT, Virgin Mobile, and Blackberry 10. According to Matt, assisting vendors in the creation of application stores and different testing initiatives is our growing expertise, as are many other testing and problem-solving initiatives.
Kimberly Hawkins provides complete testing, certification, and consulting solutions to her clients so they meet all necessary requirements for domestic and global market entry. She creates a team of experts and engineering talent around each client project so that an effective and successful roadmap is implemented to support clients’ business initiatives. Her purview of solutions includes a wide range of services such as wireless, Bluetooth, performance, software, and compliance testing, along with design and global certification support.
Moderator: Neal Ungerleider, Fast Company, Reporter
- Chet Pipkin, Belkin, Founder and Chairman
- Scott Painter, TrueCar, CEO and Founder
- Julie Schoenfeld, Strobe, CEO; also was CEO of Perfect Market, which was acquired by Taboola [bio]
Chinese investors and companies are actively investing in Silicon Beach. After Chinese-based Tencent acquired LA-based Riot Games, more Chinese investors are investing in LA area startups. Learn what these investors are looking for, how they find LA startups, investment deal structure, and more. Also, we will discuss how Silicon Beach companies that are looking to expand to China can do so via local Chinese partners, and more.
Moderator: Rebecca Fannin, Forbes Contributor; Silicon Dragon Ventures, Founder/Editor
This panel will feature hardware startups discussing their path to success on developing a business, not just a product, with a singular aim of supporting hardware startups, versus makers or big business.
Moderator: Jeremy Goodwin, SyncFab.Com, Founder
- Stuart Karten, Karten Design, President
- Grant Delgatty, Pasadena Art Center College of Design, Instructor
- Nick Agid, Made in California Factory Tours, Fabrication Design & Materials Advising Director
- Chris Rico, Los Angeles Economic Development Corporation (LAEDC), Director of Innovation
- Avidan Ross, Lion Wells Capital, Founder
Our panel with senior execs will cover: What do you look for in a resume? What makes one stand out over another? What puts you off? Where do you advertise jobs? Can you just apply directly? What are the key traits you look for when interviewing a candidate? What can someone do to really make an impression?
Any interviewing successes or horror stories? What is the demand across LA?
Is there a different approach a candidate should take for a startup vs mid-size vs large company? What changes are you seeing in the job market?
Moderator: Marc Cohen, EVP ConSol Partners
- Tino Lucente, Verizon Digital Media Services, Senior Recruiting Manager
- Perry Evoniuk, Evite, CTO
- Shariq Osman, DIRECTV, Senior Manager
- Rob Krumwiede, Creative Artists Agency, VP of Technology
- Courtney Montpas, HIRED, General Manager
- Tim Nabhani, Dollar Shave Club, VP of Engineering
- Nandan Kalle, Belkin International, Director, Commercial Networking
- John Shiple, FreelanceCTO, Founder
Startups confront many of the same technology challenges as large enterprises do only with limited financial resources and tech support. To further complicate matters technology is a very wide and disparate set of functions, tasks, hardware, and software depending on the context, and the technical staff is expected to (quite literally) know every detail about every piece of technology within the company. For a small team, this is an unrealistic expectation as most companies focus on their product and fall far short or experience significant pain with their own internal, networking infrastructure. Ask yourself: are you addressing your internal company (aka office) networking, and how is this different than your production network infrastructure?
To remain competitive, companies must maintain and purchase technology that scales with their business while their workplace is radically changing. However, early stage companies do not have all the necessary roles to fully satisfy the entire spectrum of a company’s Technology needs. Cultural and technological shifts like remote working and BYOD can strain the network and dramatically impact a company’s operations. This session will discuss the key things startups needs to consider when a designing a local (aka in-office and/or remote office) network for today – and one for the future. For this workshop, attendees will participate in an interactive Q&A to ask experts all those how-to and what-should-I type questions from those who’ve built scalable companies.
- What is the difference between my product’s network infrastructure and the network infrastructure required to support my company’s operations?
- How do I choose the networking right gear? What equipment do I need? What are some common metrics or baselines for choosing the right components?
- When is it time to upgrade? When do you buy off shelf vs. going to a reseller?
- What things need to be taken into consideration when setting up a wireless network, e.g., building materials, obstructions, AP configurations, antenna position
- What is the best way to support open collaboration and workforce mobility
- Combatting security vulnerabilities – How to protect your WLAN from hackers sitting a mile away
- How will IoT affect small businesses?
Join this panel with leaders in the tech scene from San Diego and Santa Barbara, who’ll provide a brief overview of what’s happening in tech to our neighbors to the south and north of Silicon Beach. Speakers will provide a brief overview of the major investors (accelerators, VCs, angels), types of startups (biotech, ad tech, consumer, media, etc.), access to developers and marketing / branding talent to help grow your startup, and local resources for funding, events, and more.
- Neal Bloom (San Diego), SD Tech Spotlight, Founder; Neal Bloom Consulting
- Jacques Habra (Santa Barbara), Self Echo, Thought Leader; Executive Director, Noospheric
- Zahir Wahid (Long Beach), Sidian Agency, Co-Owner; Code for Long Beach. Etoy Foundation, TAFF Expo
Moderator: Ted Werth, Tengrade, CEO; startup advisor @tejawe
- Jeff Lapin, Tech Coast Angels, President of LA Network
- Brad Zions, Harvard Business School Angels; Partner at Structure Partners
- Kris Bjornerud, Crosscut Ventures, Venture Partner; Amplify LA, Executive Director
- Dan Chen, Siemer & Associates, Managing Director
- Shamin Rostami, TYLT Lab, Partner
- Jeff Lapin, Tech Coast Angels, President of LA Network. Members of the Tech Coast Angels fund early stage Southern California technology companies. The membership consists of approximately 300 individuals from 5 independent regional networks (Central Coast, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego, Inland Empire).
- Brad Zions, Harvard Business School Angels; Partner at Structure Partners. Brad Zions is a Los Angeles-based investor and entrepreneur. Zions has deep domain expertise in digital media and the restaurant, apparel and entertainment industries. Zions has been an active angel investor for the past 16 years, both individually and as a member of HBS Angels. Recent investments include Jukin Media, Moviepass, bBooth, Parachute, TrustEgg and Venga. Previous exits include QXL (now Tradus, which was acquired by Naspers in 2008) and Google via Ron Conway’s Angel funds I and II.
- Evan Eneman, Wharton Angel Network of SoCal, President; Co-founder of WAN SoCal
Drone experts discuss the growing drone market including the rise in drone startups, drone VCs and investors, and types of drone companies (photography, e-commerce, B2C and B2B). We’ll also discuss how to get started in drones, going from drone hobbyist to business, rules and legislation affecting drone flight, and drone resources in LA.
Moderator: Neal Ungerleider, Fast Company, Reporter @nealunger
- Michael Shabun, DJI, Brand Partnerships Manager
- Craig Glover, Yuneec International, Product Evangelist
- Keith Kaplan, Tesla Foundation, CEO and CEO of UAVSA
- Ben Marcus, AirMap, Co-Founder and CEO; Angel Investor
- Dan Burton, DroneBase, CEO, Founder @DanielBBurton
- Michael Shabun, DJI, Brand Partnerships Manager. DJI is the market leader in consumer easy-to-fly drones and aerial photography systems. Its quadcopters like the Phantom are the standard in consumer drone technology. DJI showcases at CES and other major shows. @DJIglobal
- Craig Glover, Yuneec International, Product Evangelist. Yuneec develops state of the art electric powered products for personal transport and leisure, including drones. @YuneecIntl
- Keith Kaplan, Tesla Foundation, CEO and CEO of UAVSA (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Systems Association). The Tesla Foundation accomplishes its non profit goals utilizing its research labs and facilities, education labs, educational events and summits, and software. UAVSA is an organization of drone manufacturers, distributors, retailers, publishers, software companies, creatives, and enthusiasts that serves as the voice for commercial UAS community within FAA guidelines and regulations. UAVSA just held its first drone conference a few months ago in LA. @TeslaFound @UAVSAUSA
- Ben is Co-Founder & CEO of AirMap, which is helping make drones a part of everyday life by providing comprehensive, highly-accurate, up-to-date, dynamic airspace information to drones and their operators. AirMap’s information is already available in Beta at www.airmap.io. Ben was previously cofounder of jetAVIVA, the world’s largest broker of light jet planes. He is also an angel investor in several companies including Skydio, which is developing computer-vision technology for drones to navigate in GPS-deprived environments and provide autonomous obstacle detection and avoidance. @FlyingBenji
Startup Showcase finalists will pitch for 5 min followed by 5 min Q&A. Judges will pick a final to win the Silicon Beach Fest 2015 title and prize package.
- Bob Vanech, Zealot Networks, COO
- Fran Seegull, USC, ImpactAssets, Chief Investment Officer @franseegull
- David Carter, Zuma Ventures, CEO, Co-Founder