Get the Silicon Beach Fest schedule grid here.
Join our joint panel of experts on the growing medicinal marijuana startup industry. With legalization of medicinal marijuana, startups are growing in the cannabis space. Plus, new investors are cropping up. We’ll discuss startups in the discovery, delivery, and distribution of medicinal marijuana, and related startups in merchandising, fashion, lifestyle, reviews, and more.
- Walter Grieves, ROC, Think Tank Cannabis Consulting Group, Propagate.LA
- Olivia Alexander, Crystal Cult, CEO/Founder
- Walter Grieves, ROC, Think Tank Cannabis Consulting Group, Propagate.LA. Walter manages a portfolio of cannabis investments/Companies, and is co-founder of ROC (Real Office Centers a Cannabis Friendly Building) in Santa Monica. He Co-Founded the Think Tank Cannabis Consulting Group (www.cannabisconsultinggroup.org) with professors from USC and UCLA. Walter servers as President of Alta Diversified a Cannabis Business Management Company and is launching a Cannabis Business Accelerator Program/Fund in May called Propagate.la and Propagate Capital at ROC. @ROC_USA
- Olivia Alexander, Crystal Cult, CEO/Founder. With over 100K Instagram followers,The Crystal Cult has established itself as an all-inclusive girls club for fun and fabulous sunglasses, vaporizers, and luxury cannabis accessories. As seen on Cosmopolitian.com, LIVE! With Michael and Kelley, The New York Times, Jezebel, and MTV.com. @thecrystalcult
Did you know that two of LA’s five $1 billion+ startups are founded by women? As the LA entrepreneur ecosystem continues to strengthen, there is a growing pipeline of women-led companies who could join tomorrow’s billion dollar club. Hear from a panel of women founders breaking new ground in e-commerce, social media music festival production, socially responsible marketplaces and designer dress rental – and the women who are making seed and early stage investments in women-led companies.
Moderator: Julie MacMedan, Women Founders Network, Co-Founder and COO
- Ann Wang, Enrou, Co-Founder and CEO
- Kelsey Doorey, Vow to be Chic, Co-Founder and CEO
- Jamie Kantrowitz, MESA Ventures, Managing Partner
- Katie Warner Johnson, Carbon38, Co-Founder and CEO
Silicon Beach CTOs from top companies will discuss how they find developers, build their team, work with other teams in their organization, and scale for growth from startup to next stages.
Moderator: Casey Frith-Smith, FOX Network Engineering & Operations, VP Video Solutions
- Lukas Sliwka, Grindr, CTO
- Sunil Bhanot, Demand Media, VP of Software Engineering
- Ethan Kravitz, Curbstand, CTO @CurbStand
- John Coogan, Soylent, CTO / Co-Founder
Developer Track presented by:
Women developers from startups and tech companies will discuss issues including finding the right tech job, working at a startup or large tech company, scalability. We will also discuss issues for women developers such as career advancement, working in a male-dominated industry, and what women, men, and companies can do to help women get into tech, stay in tech and succeed in tech. What are local or national resources or organizations for women developers.
Moderator: Tara Tiger Brown, Co-Founder of KitHub, Connected Camps and LA Makerspace
- Hala Aladwan, Technology Consultant @haladwan
- Justine Bateman, Computer Science and Management Major, UCLA; Intern Blur Studio
- Kate Hollenbach, Oblong Industries, Inc, Director Of Design & Computation @kjhollen
- Rachel Blum, Google, Chrome Site Lead, Los Angeles
- Roni Brunn, Video Ace, CEO @thebandfrom
- Cara Kuei, National Football Leauge, Web Developer
Developer Track presented by:
Women founders, including those who have raised angel or VC capital discuss what it takes to succeed from funding, team building to strategy.
- Justine Lassoff, Co-founder/CEO Tuesdaynights & Co-founder, Love Goodly @JustineLassoff @ShopLoveGoodly
- Melinda Moore, CMO, Crowdfunder, Co-founder Tuesdaynights @Melinda_Moore
- Rebecca Wilson, Saatchi Art, Chief Curator and Director
- Nanxi Liu, Enplug, CEO
- Ariel Kaye, Parachute, Founder and CEO
- Lina Chen, Nix Hydra, Co-founder and CEO
- Shivani Siroya, Inventure, Founder
Growth hacking experts will share tips and techniques in Growth Hacking, where developers create quick code and scripts to capture marketing data from social media and other open sites, to help them target potential customers, generate sales leads, increase product awareness, and build customer and client databases. These techniques are useful for startups, sales, growth and more. Growth hacking is a unique combination of skill sets of developers and marketers; we’ll discuss how they can work together for successful growth hacking results.
Moderator: Javon Frazier, Maestro Media Ventures, Principal. Formerly Marvel Entertainment, VP Games Marketing @JavonFrazier
- Justin Wu, Vytmn, Co-Founder / Growth Engineer
- Peter Chen, Vytmn, CTO
- Marieme Haynes, JKH Naturals, Managing Director, previously at Microsoft
Join this panel with leaders in the tech scene from San Diego and Santa Barbara, who’ll provide a brief overview of what’s happening in tech to our neighbors to the south and north of Silicon Beach. Speakers will provide a brief overview of the major investors (accelerators, VCs, angels), types of startups (biotech, ad tech, consumer, media, etc.), access to developers and marketing / branding talent to help grow your startup, and local resources for funding, events, and more.
- Neal Bloom (San Diego), SD Tech Spotlight, Founder; Neal Bloom Consulting
- Jacques Habra (Santa Barbara), Self Echo, Thought Leader; Executive Director, Noospheric
- Zahir Wahid (Long Beach), Sidian Agency, Co-Owner; Code for Long Beach. Etoy Foundation, TAFF Expo
Moderator: Ted Werth, Tengrade, CEO; startup advisor @tejawe
- Jeff Lapin, Tech Coast Angels, President of LA Network
- Brad Zions, Harvard Business School Angels; Partner at Structure Partners
- Kris Bjornerud, Crosscut Ventures, Venture Partner; Amplify LA, Executive Director
- Dan Chen, Siemer & Associates, Managing Director
- Shamin Rostami, TYLT Lab, Partner
- Jeff Lapin, Tech Coast Angels, President of LA Network. Members of the Tech Coast Angels fund early stage Southern California technology companies. The membership consists of approximately 300 individuals from 5 independent regional networks (Central Coast, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego, Inland Empire).
- Brad Zions, Harvard Business School Angels; Partner at Structure Partners. Brad Zions is a Los Angeles-based investor and entrepreneur. Zions has deep domain expertise in digital media and the restaurant, apparel and entertainment industries. Zions has been an active angel investor for the past 16 years, both individually and as a member of HBS Angels. Recent investments include Jukin Media, Moviepass, bBooth, Parachute, TrustEgg and Venga. Previous exits include QXL (now Tradus, which was acquired by Naspers in 2008) and Google via Ron Conway’s Angel funds I and II.
- Evan Eneman, Wharton Angel Network of SoCal, President; Co-founder of WAN SoCal
Experts in product development for software to Internet of Things will discuss strategies and tools for product development including systems for decreased product cycle time, user input and feedback for improvements and updates, lean development, new product features, rollout strategies, software tools to help with product management, and more.
Moderator: Cauri Jaye, rhubarb studios, CEO
- Mark Thomas, Google, Product Manager
- Chris Chandler, Fandango, Senior Director Product and UX
- Mary Baldwin, Pivotal Labs, Product Management
- Brian Kuhn, Media Temple, VP of Product
- Ben Handzo, NationBuilder, Head of Product
Developer Track presented by:
Join us for this discussion on girls in tech, from Girls Who Code, who are visiting LA this summer, so we thought we’d invite them to Silicon Beach Fest as a great way to see what is happening in tech. This workshop provides a forum for open discussion with girls in tech, teens age 12-14. Adults are always talking about how to increase girls in tech, so here’s the opportunity to ask girls questions about technology, phone and app social media use, etc. The audience is invited to ask questions like: “What inspired you to learn to code”, “Who are your role models,” ”What do you wish there were more of in the world to help increase girls in tech”, “Do you feel there is bias to girls in tech, and what can be done about it” “What apps do you use?” “Do you really use Snapchat all the time and not Facebook, etc”
Moderator: Lori Schwartz, Managing Partner, StoryTech
Developers sound off on what they wish Business Dev, Product Managers, CTOs, CEOs, and their clients knew or understood, to help increase business efficiency.
Moderator: Espree Devora, WeAreLATech, Founder
- Kevin Goslar, Originate, Director of Engineering
- Gregorio Rojas, Sabio,LA, Co-Founder
- Brady Tsurutani, DIRECTV, Senior Director of Mobile Software Engineering
- Christian Harden, NFL Digital Media, Application Development Manager
- Matthew Montanez, LIVESTRONG.COM, iOS Engineer @MattMontanez
- Suzzee Uy, Bridg, Senior Software Engineer
Developer Track presented by: