Get the Silicon Beach Fest schedule grid here.
Mobile marketing is on the fast track to overtake desktop and become our single most used device and digital marketing/ad budgets prove it. We surf the web, communicate, email, utilize apps hourly, but how is a marketer to navigate this channel with all its entrée points – both online and offline? Display advertising leaves much to be desired. What alternative creative uses are marketers employing in this new landscape? How is mobile marketing impacting content development and cross-channel campaigns? How is big data informing mobile marketing and where does location-based fit in? We’ll explore all these topics and more.
Moderator: Erik Sass, MediaPost, Reporter
- Marc Mitchell, Lootsie, CEO
- Michael Hayes, UberMedia, CRO/CMO @UberMedia
- Adam Brenner, sparks & honey, Director of Product and Emerging Platforms
- Komnieve Singh, CallFire, Co-Founder and President
Expert panelists will discuss how audience consumption has changed the digital landscape. They will present a new business model addressing ways in which advertisers, technology companies, and service providers can work together to bridge the gap between traditional media platforms and emerging digital platforms. They will also explore new advertising and other revenue streams arising from the new media company eco-system, and propose ways participants can incorporate them into today’s work environment.
Moderator: Ron Camhi, Michelman & Robinson, LLP, Partner
- Vic Sapphire, Michelman & Robinson, LLP, Partner
- Ryan Hong, Michelman & Robinson, LLP, Partner
- Amy Leavitt, Briabe Mobile, Marketing Director
- Josh Entman, Jukin Media, Co-Founder and Chief Development Officer @JoshEntman
From Super Bowl campaigns to retail, brands and agencies are facing the growing need to integrate digital into their strategy, creative, and production processes. The panel will feature agency and brand leaders that deal with this challenge on a daily basis and provide insight into their experiences and learnings, and their thoughts on the future of digital integration.
Moderator: Josh Crick, Leo Burnett, SVP, Managing Director of Digital Integration
- Josh Crick, Leo Burnett, Managing Director, Digital Integration
- Victor Nguyen Long, Audi, GM, Customer Experience @VNL
- Carolyn Coyne, Facebook, Creative Strategist, Facebook Creative Shop
- Kingsley Taylor, MRY West, Managing Director
- Derek van den Bosch, Red Interactive, VP of Operations and Delivery
VR has been huge this year, with VFX artists, storytellers, filmmakers, game makers, writers, developers and more doing VR. This panel will give an overview of VR, how VR can be used for new storytelling, social VR, access to VR via Oculus, Samsung Gear VR, cardboard, and what are resources for VR in LA and nationally.
Moderator: Savannah Peterson, Speck Design, Director of Innovation Strategy
- A.J. Campbell, RocketSail, Founder
- Morris May, Specular Theory, CEO and Founder
- Jarrell Pair, DIRECTV, Digital Ideation, Senior Manager
- Alex Rosenfeld, Vrideo, Founder and CEO @arosenfee
- Jonathan Hawkins, White Elk Studios, Founder and President @jonathanhawkins
- Ben Miller, WEVR, Director of Content Development @NourseMiller
- A.J. Campbell, RocketSail, Founder. AJ was inspired to create 3D audio for 360-degree VR experiences. @texasgreentea
- Morris May, Specular Theory, CEO and Founder. Specular Theory is a VR content creation studio and technology lab based in Venice Beach, CA. His VR film, “Perspective; Chapter 1: The Party” recently premiered at Sundance and was one of the most talked about virtual reality experiences of the festival. Morris has been a Hollywood visual effects expert for more than 25 years, working on 30+ films including two Academy Award winners: Spiderman II and Happy Feet. @speculartheory
This session will focus on key aspects of the Internet of Things (IoT) and the overall connectivity of products and devices. With the changing nature of business and the “things” themselves, sensors, connectivity elements, and software are increasingly being embedded into the products manufacturers around the globe are designing and building. Come learn how to navigate, participate in, and engage your business with this global tech transformation. This is a must-attend for tech executives, device and product manufacturers, and software, application, and product designers, and more!
Moderator: Kimberly Hawkins, Intertek, Account Executive, Internet of Things, Smart Services
- Marcel Hill, Intertek, Global Director of Internet of Things (IoT) Services
- Matt Nelson, Intertek, Business Development Manager
Marcel Hill, Intertek, Global Director of Internet of Things (IoT) Services. As a global business Trailblazer at Intertek for services addressing the Internet of Things, Marcel Hill brings his 20+ years of experience in progressive manufacturing, operations, and technical leadership in highly regulated environments to retailers and manufacturers alike. Marcel guides a team comprised of engineering, sales, quality, logistics, EH&S, and customer service members, using First-hand knowledge and experience to aid in effective decision-making and the cultivation of sustainable partnerships. He is responsible for customer-focused wireless solutions designed to offer global brands a comprehensive scope of safety, performance, and quality testing and certification services.
Matt Nelson is a Business Development Manager for software testing and wireless testing services at Intertek. He has over 10 years’ experience in business development and validation testing, and he helps manage a number of certification programs, including JavaVerified, Microsoft Phonestore, Qualcomm TBT, Virgin Mobile, and Blackberry 10. According to Matt, assisting vendors in the creation of application stores and different testing initiatives is our growing expertise, as are many other testing and problem-solving initiatives.
Kimberly Hawkins provides complete testing, certification, and consulting solutions to her clients so they meet all necessary requirements for domestic and global market entry. She creates a team of experts and engineering talent around each client project so that an effective and successful roadmap is implemented to support clients’ business initiatives. Her purview of solutions includes a wide range of services such as wireless, Bluetooth, performance, software, and compliance testing, along with design and global certification support.
Visual Effects startups and VFX companies are working on top Hollywood movies and films, including Oscar-winner Interstellar and other films. Join this panel where VFX experts will discuss working on top movies.
- Shannon Gans, New Deal Studios, CEO, Co-Founder. Shannon co-founded New Deal Studios, which did the VFX work on Interstellar, which recently won an Oscar in this year’s Academy Awards. She has worked on visual effects for over 150 of the biggest films, commercials, web content, virtual reality for theme parks, cinematic virtual reality shorts and live sporting events. @shannongans
- Steve Goldberg, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Visual Effects Supervisor. Steve did visual effects supervision on the animated blockbuster Frozen. He also worked on Tangled, Lion King, and Pocahontas.
Our panel with senior execs will cover: What do you look for in a resume? What makes one stand out over another? What puts you off? Where do you advertise jobs? Can you just apply directly? What are the key traits you look for when interviewing a candidate? What can someone do to really make an impression?
Any interviewing successes or horror stories? What is the demand across LA?
Is there a different approach a candidate should take for a startup vs mid-size vs large company? What changes are you seeing in the job market?
Moderator: Marc Cohen, EVP ConSol Partners
- Tino Lucente, Verizon Digital Media Services, Senior Recruiting Manager
- Perry Evoniuk, Evite, CTO
- Shariq Osman, DIRECTV, Senior Manager
- Rob Krumwiede, Creative Artists Agency, VP of Technology
- Courtney Montpas, HIRED, General Manager
- Tim Nabhani, Dollar Shave Club, VP of Engineering
Learn from industry experts on how to market and produce your digital content or projects internationally in this hands-on discussion and workshop.
- Bettina Sherick, Hollywood in Pixels, Founder. Formerly 20th Century Digital Marketing, SVP Digital Strategic Marketing. Bettina pioneered Digital Marketing for 20th Century Fox International (TCFI). During her 14 years with Fox, she ensured that TCFI consistently stayed at the forefront of movie studios for innovative digital marketing programs and marketing partnerships. She oversaw over 100+ international digital marketing campaigns across multiple platforms, including blockbuster new release films including THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, LIFE OF PI, the entire X-MEN franchise, both RISE and DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES, AVATAR, all films in the ICE AGE franchise, and THE SIMPSONS MOVIE, the latter of which won the Webby Award and People’s Voice Webby Award. @bettina
- John Heisen, Bunnygraph Entertainment, Founder. John and his company Bunnygraph Entertainment, work with writers, talent, and technologists to create serialized formats for television, interactive/web and mobile platforms in what he calls “Storytelling through Advanced Content”. After completing a three year run as Transmedia Producer / Showrunner for the Academy Awards (Oscar.com), John now focuses on the development of a range of TV and film projects in both the US and around the world. His short film LONE HUNTER recently premiered at the Los Angeles Asia Pacific Film Festival and was selected for the Court Metrage at the Cannes Film Festival.
3D printing startups are becoming LA’s next major startup boom. It’s only logical that LA is a mecca for 3D printing as it’s home to the aerospace, automotive, video games, visual effects, industrial design, and defense Industries. Join this panel featuring industry leaders about where 3D is going and how Southern California has played a role in their success.
Moderator: Leslie Oliver Karpas, Metamason, CEO
- Mark Mathews, Airwolf 3D, President
- Jens Windau, AIO Robotics, CEO
- Brian Arandez, Thingify, CEO
- Jonathan Schwartz, HexLab Makerspace, COO
- Sean Stevens, New Matter, Director of Product
- Igor Knevic, Feature Film Concept & Special Effects Designer, Founder – Alienology, Designer – Metamason
Mark Mathews, President – Airwolf 3D
Mr. Mathews is President of Airwolf 3D, a designer, manufacturer, and distributor of desktop 3D printers, supplies and technology to the 3D printing and additive manufacturing markets. Previously, Mr. Mathews served at Toshiba as the President and CEO of Toshiba America Business Solutions, Inc. Additionally he served as President, COO, as well as a number of other senior positions.
Jens Windau, CEO – AIO Robotics
Jens Windau is one of the co-founders of the next generation 3D printer company AIO Robotics. He and his co-founders built the world’s first All-in-One 3D Printer/Scanner ZEUS. Jens holds graduate degrees in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science and Technology Management and has worked as an engineer at BMW and as a management consultant for many tech startups. A USC Viterbi alum, AIO Robotics won the Silicon Beach Fest – Startup Showcase in 2014.
Brian Arandez, CEO – Thingify
Thingify is a 3D printing service bureau which also offers design, modeling and concepting services. Brian founded Thingify in 2012 in Irvine. His background is in CS and IT, having worked for Mizuho Securities and NTT Data Corporation.
Jonathan Schwartz, COO – HexLab Makerspace
Jonathan Schwartz is a native born son of Southern California and COO of HexLab Makerspace. He graduated with a business degree from The A.J.U. in 2013.
Sean Stevens, Director of Product – New Matter
New Matter’s mission is to bring 3D printing to every home, school, and office with its flagship products, the MOD-t and New Matter Store. Sean is leading the development of the Store, which will integrate tightly with the printer to provide a seamless 3D printing experience. He previously worked as an engineer for various LA startups, and was co-founder and CTO of Periodical, which was part of LaunchpadLA’s Class 5.
Igor Knevic, Feature Film Concept & Special Effects Designer, Founder – Alienology, Designer – Metamason
Igor is a prolific 3D designer in the film and special effects industry, having created props and environments for Tomorrowland, Jupiter Ascending, Oblivion, X-Men First Class, and many others. He also is the principle designer of the 3D printed jewelry firm Alienology, as well as one of the design leads at Metamason, a scan-to-fit medical device startup here in LA.
Moderated by Leslie Oliver Karpas, CEO – Metamason
Metamason is a medical device startup developing on-demand custom CPAP masks via 3D scanning and a patent pending method for 3D printing silicone. Les’ background includes over 10 years of experience in holography, industrial design, architecture, and robotics. Most notably he spent years designing custom CNC robots and tooling to create art work for famous artists such as Anish Kapoor and Jeff Koons.
Digital advertising has become more sophisticated and complex than ever, with the advent of programmatic buying, big data and an unlimited number of technology providers serving the blooming ad tech ecosystem. In this advanced marketing technology session, you’ll hear from some of the brightest minds in advertising tech about what’s hot in 2015 and what to look for from digital marketing over the next five years.
Moderator: Colette Dill Lerner, Steel and Pepper, Managing Partner
- Greg Pritchard, GumGum, SVP Business Development
- Angela Kinsella, Demand Media, Senior Dir. Programmatic Sales
- Varoujan Bedirian, Viant, VP Product Management
- Sheila Marmon, Mirror Digital, Founder and CEO
We’ve all been awed with the highly believable digital humans appearing in movies, games and online. As capture technologies, software and rendering advances continue, the ability to create digital doubles will become commonplace. As we live more online and in virtual reality, no doubt, we will want our digital doubles ready for Social VR. We’ll share a rapid fire survey of virtual human technologies and take a look at near future development for interactive virtual humans.
Moderator: Diane Piepol, Project Director & US Representative The Digital Doubles Agency
- Kay Arutyunyan, CounterPunch Studios, VP of Production
- Jacquelyn Ford Morie PhD, All These Worlds, Founder & Chief Scientist
- Graham Fyffe, USC Institute for Creative Technologies (ICT), Computer Scientist
- Dan Platt, Facial & Character Modeling Supervisor (Virtual Tupac)