Get the Silicon Beach Fest schedule grid here.
Apps. Every business wants one, be it a game, mobile or web-based. But with more and more apps available, what role should these apps play? Should an app be for profile, for profit or should it perform an additional function and perform a use for society? A panel of award-winning UK-based mobile, web-based and games app developers debate the changing international role of app developers.
Moderator: Matthew Desmier, Founder of Silicon Beach UK, Wise Old Uncle Ltd
- Mike Hawkyard, Amuzo Games, MD and Founder
- Duncan Cook, 3 Sided Cube, MD and Founder @duncancook
- Kriss Bennett, Createful, MD and Founder
- Marc Biles, Ratio, CEO @marcthebeat
- Jon Ginn, Base, Developer Evangelist @jonginn
Speakers will discuss the rising tech startup scene in various international cities and countries, discussing startups, tech, and startups with international operations. Workshop also includes a Reverse Pitch, where startups who are considering international expansion will state what they do, and country representatives will provide advice on what cities they should expand to and why.
Moderator: Jeff Musson, Dynamite Network, CEO
- Deirdre Moran, US West Coast, IDA Ireland, VP High Growth Companies
- Pravin Uttarwar, Mindbowser, CTO (India)
- Gray Bright, The Tomorrow Show, Host (Australia)
- Britta Eriksson, Euro VAT Refund, CEO
Companies from Silicon Beach UK will give insights into using digital tools to build brands.
Moderator: Matthew Desmier, Founder of Silicon Beach, Wise Old Uncle Ltd
- Jamie Sergeant, Director, Crowd @JamieSergeant
- Arabella Lewis-Smith, MD and Founder, Salad @BellaLewisSmith
- Paul Sheehy, Founder, Folk @KiwiSheehy
- Daniel Ward-Murphy, Head of Insight, The Emerge Group
- Lee Noon, Head of eCommerce, LV=
This session will focus on key aspects of the Internet of Things (IoT) and the overall connectivity of products and devices. With the changing nature of business and the “things” themselves, sensors, connectivity elements, and software are increasingly being embedded into the products manufacturers around the globe are designing and building. Come learn how to navigate, participate in, and engage your business with this global tech transformation. This is a must-attend for tech executives, device and product manufacturers, and software, application, and product designers, and more!
Moderator: Kimberly Hawkins, Intertek, Account Executive, Internet of Things, Smart Services
- Marcel Hill, Intertek, Global Director of Internet of Things (IoT) Services
- Matt Nelson, Intertek, Business Development Manager
Marcel Hill, Intertek, Global Director of Internet of Things (IoT) Services. As a global business Trailblazer at Intertek for services addressing the Internet of Things, Marcel Hill brings his 20+ years of experience in progressive manufacturing, operations, and technical leadership in highly regulated environments to retailers and manufacturers alike. Marcel guides a team comprised of engineering, sales, quality, logistics, EH&S, and customer service members, using First-hand knowledge and experience to aid in effective decision-making and the cultivation of sustainable partnerships. He is responsible for customer-focused wireless solutions designed to offer global brands a comprehensive scope of safety, performance, and quality testing and certification services.
Matt Nelson is a Business Development Manager for software testing and wireless testing services at Intertek. He has over 10 years’ experience in business development and validation testing, and he helps manage a number of certification programs, including JavaVerified, Microsoft Phonestore, Qualcomm TBT, Virgin Mobile, and Blackberry 10. According to Matt, assisting vendors in the creation of application stores and different testing initiatives is our growing expertise, as are many other testing and problem-solving initiatives.
Kimberly Hawkins provides complete testing, certification, and consulting solutions to her clients so they meet all necessary requirements for domestic and global market entry. She creates a team of experts and engineering talent around each client project so that an effective and successful roadmap is implemented to support clients’ business initiatives. Her purview of solutions includes a wide range of services such as wireless, Bluetooth, performance, software, and compliance testing, along with design and global certification support.
Our panel with senior execs will cover: What do you look for in a resume? What makes one stand out over another? What puts you off? Where do you advertise jobs? Can you just apply directly? What are the key traits you look for when interviewing a candidate? What can someone do to really make an impression?
Any interviewing successes or horror stories? What is the demand across LA?
Is there a different approach a candidate should take for a startup vs mid-size vs large company? What changes are you seeing in the job market?
Moderator: Marc Cohen, EVP ConSol Partners
- Tino Lucente, Verizon Digital Media Services, Senior Recruiting Manager
- Perry Evoniuk, Evite, CTO
- Shariq Osman, DIRECTV, Senior Manager
- Rob Krumwiede, Creative Artists Agency, VP of Technology
- Courtney Montpas, HIRED, General Manager
- Tim Nabhani, Dollar Shave Club, VP of Engineering
Learn from industry experts on how to market and produce your digital content or projects internationally in this hands-on discussion and workshop.
- Bettina Sherick, Hollywood in Pixels, Founder. Formerly 20th Century Digital Marketing, SVP Digital Strategic Marketing. Bettina pioneered Digital Marketing for 20th Century Fox International (TCFI). During her 14 years with Fox, she ensured that TCFI consistently stayed at the forefront of movie studios for innovative digital marketing programs and marketing partnerships. She oversaw over 100+ international digital marketing campaigns across multiple platforms, including blockbuster new release films including THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, LIFE OF PI, the entire X-MEN franchise, both RISE and DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES, AVATAR, all films in the ICE AGE franchise, and THE SIMPSONS MOVIE, the latter of which won the Webby Award and People’s Voice Webby Award. @bettina
- John Heisen, Bunnygraph Entertainment, Founder. John and his company Bunnygraph Entertainment, work with writers, talent, and technologists to create serialized formats for television, interactive/web and mobile platforms in what he calls “Storytelling through Advanced Content”. After completing a three year run as Transmedia Producer / Showrunner for the Academy Awards (Oscar.com), John now focuses on the development of a range of TV and film projects in both the US and around the world. His short film LONE HUNTER recently premiered at the Los Angeles Asia Pacific Film Festival and was selected for the Court Metrage at the Cannes Film Festival.
Hollywood studios, agencies and entertainment companies will discuss how they are getting involved in Silicon Beach. Movie studios and talent agencies will discuss how they are working with startups, and in some cases incubating and investing in startups. Entertainment startups will discuss how they work with studios, influencers, and more.
Moderator: Rynda Laurel, @rynda
- Avi Gandhi, William Morris Endeavor, Digital Agent
- Mandy Salzman, Techstars
- Mark Young, Fandango, VP Strategy and Business Development
- Kiel Berry, Machine Shop, Executive Vice President. Machine Shop is the VC firm for the band Linkin Park, which has made investment in Lyft, Shyp and Robinhood
- Rynda Laurel has worked with hundreds of music artists from developing acts to multi-platinum, Grammy-winning, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees. She also advises music based online platforms and is a sought-after moderator, speaker at international conferences including MIDEM, Silicon Beach Fest, SXSW, SXSW, V2V, DEW, CMW, and Digital LA.
- Avi Gandhi, William Morris Endeavor, Digital Agent. Avi works with digital native talent and other digital deals at WME. He is on Forbes 30 Under 30 List.
- Mandy Salzman, TechStars, which powers Disney Accelerator. Mandy previously worked at Sony Pictures and Fox.
- Mark Young, Fandango, VP Strategy and Business Development. At Fandango, a subsidiary of NBCUniversal, Mark oversees distribution and co-marketing of mobile services, commerce and video, handset manufacturers, connected devices, social media and digital video platforms, app stores and retailers.
- Kiel Berry is the Executive Vice President of Machine Shop, the wholly owned innovation company of the Grammy Award winning band Linkin Park, focused on fashion, design, tech, and innovative brand partnerships. Most recently, he runs Machine Shop Ventures, a venture capital fund that invests in early-to-growth stage companies with a global scope. To date, MSV has invested in Lyft, Shyp, Robinhood, and Blue Bottle Coffee. Prior to Machine Shop Ventures, Kiel worked at Creative Artists Agency in Entertainment Marketing and International Corporate Development focused on global expansion initiatives.
Creating business around the world in media, entertainment, and advertising – Execs talking about their company, their content, and their customers.
- Sharona Justman, co-Founder, The Israel Conference
Sharona Justman is the co-Founder of The Israel Conference™ bringing together investors, CEOs, and entrepreneurs from around the world.
The Israel Conference™ is a business and technology conference taking place in Los Angeles in October.
- Roniet Berci, Director of Strategy, The Israel Conference
Roniet Berci is a targeted strategist working with Israeli startups in Israel and in the US from branding and market and content development driving relevant international business relationships.
The Israel Conference™ is a business and technology conference taking place in Los Angeles in October.
- Tal Cohen-Litant, Director of Sales and Business Development, Orad Hi-Tec Systems
Tal Cohen-Litant is an Entrepreneurial Media & Marketing Executive with proven expertise in the management and development of professional teams and high-tech production solutions.
Orad Hi-Tec Systems is a world-leading provider of real-time 3D broadcast graphic, video server, and media asset management solutions, including news, channel branding, sports production and enhancement, elections and special events, virtual studios, and virtual advertisement.
- Mika Kayt, CEO & Co-Founder, Take & Make
Mika Kayt is the Co-Founder of Take & Make and previously co-founded a start-up called Farmbow – gamifying the vegetable gardening experience through providing users with vegetable garden kits and has founded the first Debate Company for Elderly in Israel.
Take & Make empowers Creativity through a service of fulfilling personal Do-It-Yourself experiences
- Uri Levanon, CEO & Co-Founder, Haste Media
Uri Levanon is an on-line video expert. Working with leading broadcasters, creators, brands and studios. Tel Aviv / Stockholm.
Haste Media is a boutique digital entertainment and media advisory firm.
- Maayan Levy, CEO & Co-Founder, Zoliro
Maayan Levy is a technology guru with prior experience creating the Israel Defense Force’s then-new Cyber Defense Unit, then a CTO of a FinTech company.
Zoliro is an app that manages the way brands interact with their audience in live events through digital gift bags that drive results.
The Silicon Beach Sports League is organizing our annual beach games this year, including volleyball, basketball and surfing, plus new sports like dodgeball, yoga, and more. Sign up and times for beach games will be available soon.
Hatch Studios and Golden Road Brewing invite SBF attendees to its Beer Pong Tournament. Catch some rays, drink some beer, eat some food, and mingle with the Silicon Beach community. Admission includes open bar (beer, bloody marys, party punch), tournament entry, and more. Sponsored by Service Standard, ZICO, Bloody Maria: All Natural Bar Mixes, and Guayaki Yerba Mate. Prizes from Reserve, Instacart, Zeel, RenewU and Hatch Studios. Food will be available for purchase from Home Run Sliders Food Truck. Sign up for the tournament upon arrival. Hatch Studios is a new coworking space in West LA. 21+ only. Bring your SBF Badge to attend. If you don’t have your badge cuz you left it at home or lost it dancing at the closing party, pay $15 cash only at the door.
Join us for 5 vs 5 dodgeball organized by the Silicon Beach Sports League. Show up on the court to pick your team. FREE RSVP to all SBF pass holders, party-only tickets, and table sponsors at http://bit.ly/SBFDodgeball
To celebrate Silicon Beach Fest, our team at Silicon Beach Sports League will be organizing free dodgeball on the sand near Venice Ale House on Saturday June 27th, 2015 from 12pm to 4pm!
Each game will be 5 vs 5! The winning team of “best of three games” stays on the court! You will pick your team on the sand so show up with your fellow entrepreneurs and get ready to dodge, dip, duck, dive, and dodge!
We will have Code of Conduct & Waivers available at the beach for y’all to sign! Bring your startup swag and let’s play some dodgeball!
For more information, please email Justin Brezhnev at firstname.lastname@example.org
We’re rallying volleyball players to play in our Silicon Beach Fest – Silicon Beach Spikers team at the Vilebrequin Beach Games on Saturday at Santa Monica Beach. We are looking for male and female intermediate and advanced players to play a 6-person pickup game, playing against other neighborhood teams.
FREE RSVP so we know you are coming: http://sbf15volley.eventbrite.com
The winning team gets a pair of free Vilebrequin shorts ($250 value).
When we played in 2012, our team won, and our winning team pic got published in the LA Business Journal!
Agenda: Play at Santa Monica Beach 4-6p, then drive up to the Fairmont Miramar for complimentary poolside drinks and appetizers 6-8p. Try to arrive a bit earlier around 3:30p so we can actually practice first!
BYO sunscreen, shorts, shades. We’ll provide some complimentary blue Silicon Beach Fest shades and red Digital LA shades.
PARK in the nearby public lots, cash or credit card. Or use the Luxe Valet app code DIGITALLA to have a blue-jacketed valet meet you when you arrive at the beach to pick up your car, and request drop off later at the Fairmont.
It’s sunny at the Marina del Rey Hotel, so we’re headed there for our Silicon Beach Fest – Sunday Funday pool party 1-4p! You walked by the pool a bunch, now let’s go in it! Relax on deck chairs, swim in the pool, and talk tech in the hot tub with other SBF attendees as a DJ spins pool vibe tunes. Arrive in your swimsuits and flip flops, ready for our SBF pool pic / selfie. NO PANTS in the pool area please; or you can sit by the firepits at Salt restaurant. We’ll provide free sunglasses (in SBF blue or Digital LA red), SBF15 SPF15 lip balm (passion fruit or coconut), KIND bars, SBF fans, and Grindr sunscreen. Cash bar, pay for food / drinks on your own (cuz attendees requested that after tooo much fun at our Closing Party open bar on Friday Parking: should be free valet today if you ask nicely.